Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Biggest under-achiever this season?  (Read 4398 times)
Piemonte

« on: Tuesday, March 29, 2005, 08:35:21 »

Where do we start? Howard, Igoe, Fallon, Nicholas, Evans and Ifill are prime candidates although Sean O hasnt moved on from last season and Heywood has been dodgy at times too.

If I had to pick one it would be Ifill. We paid big money by our standards for him and for the majority of the season he's not delivered.

We all knew that he wasnt the most intelligent defender in the world, but some of his mishaps this season have taken the biscuit.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, March 29, 2005, 08:45:18 »

I would argue that SO'H shouldn't be included in that list......remember he only played 5 league games last season as a centre half......King in typical fashion semingly not knowing that was his best position played him at right back.

This season up until recently he has been our most consistent performer, not bad considering its his first full season and he's still youngish (22)....also only picked up 3 yellow cards.

I would say therefore he has moved on and would expect further improvement, although it may well be at another club.
Asher

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, March 29, 2005, 09:06:50 »

Ifil definately.  Duke is the new pele im telling you
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, March 29, 2005, 09:08:34 »

Unsure. Possibly Fallon but then you could argue he's no good anyway. Perhaps Ifil based on the money we paid for him, then again Nicho has disappeared off the face of the earth this year.
Johno

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, March 29, 2005, 09:13:37 »

Fallon was expected to deliever but didn't. Igoe hasn't been himself all season, nor has Howard. Theres too many really!
Dazzza

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, March 29, 2005, 11:49:23 »

Igoe certainly hasn't been that bad but I really expected a lot more from him.  Doesn't seem to be getting nearly as many assists or goals as I thought he would do.

Again I think King messing about with formations certainly hasn't helped anyone and may well have effected  a few players form quite dramaticly.  The senior players have said publicly on numerous occassions that they prefer 4-4-2 and also commented that some of the formations have led to confusion about roles and what's expected of them.

I really hope King manages to eventually grasp he appears to lack the skills and nouse to change formations regularly then get players to operate in their new role.  We have a lack of personel anyway so it's not an easy task by anyones standards but every time we deviate from 4-4-2 it ends in poor results, bad runs of form (often horrific) and problems.

Piemonte

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, March 29, 2005, 11:54:34 »

Agreed Dazzza.

Top of my wishlist for next season is for King to decide which formation he intends to play 95% of the time, sign players that fit into that formation and bloody stick with it.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, March 29, 2005, 12:02:16 »

Sort out a preferred formation and play players in positions they are used to and are confident in.  No one can tell me Duke is (still) 100% up for this full back role.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, March 29, 2005, 12:16:20 »

biggest under achiever? howard or fallon if you ask me. or possibly rhys evans
Marie

« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, March 29, 2005, 12:16:21 »

What about heywood? Thought hes been crap all season. Think about 2 seasons ago pickin up EVERY award.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, March 29, 2005, 12:17:40 »

heywood has been quality in  the last month or so though marie
Marie

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, March 29, 2005, 12:20:40 »

Maybe im biased because i cant stand him but i am not confident with him on the ball at all. You look at the composure when Ifil or Seano has the ball, then compare that to heywood. He puts Rhys under pressure when everyone knows his kicking isn't his strongest point he puts balls constantly out to touch when he has time on the ball. His man marking skills are appauling and he drifts to the middle of no where leaving unmarked dangermen in the box, often resulting in them scoring.
le god cuervo

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, March 29, 2005, 12:24:53 »

has to be fallon or igoe for me.

you would have expected fallon to grab his chance at the start of the season but he looked lazy & complacent as if he knew he was guaranteed to play after mooney left. would not be surprised to see him go in the summer.

igoe has been off-form all season & it amazes me why he is still in the team week-in, week-out!? for one of the so-called 'skillful' players in the team he is consistantly disappointing. would rather see howard in his position at the moment. i think igoe will be gone in the summer too.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, March 29, 2005, 12:25:30 »

Ifil is just as bad on the ball in my opinion. hes mistake prone
Piemonte

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, March 29, 2005, 12:28:18 »

Marie,  I cant believe you just said Heywood has more composure on the ball than Ifill.

Heywood's not exactly Rio Ferdinand himself but Ifill is the least composed proffesional footballer with the ball at his feet that I've ever seen. When he goes past people its only because of his pace and power.

I'd go as far as saying that the bloke is utterly devoid of any technical skill whatsoever.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: