Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Groundshare: important  (Read 4884 times)
flammableBen

« Reply #30 on: Friday, June 1, 2007, 11:49:49 »

Quote from: "Maverick"
Quote from: "flammableBen"
Did anybody go at 7am this morning?

Yes - always do just after I get up for work!  Cheesy

http://www.peoplesrepublicofdis.co.uk/albums/album16/tumbleweed.sized.jpeg
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Friday, June 1, 2007, 12:55:22 »

Quote from: flammableBen

Guess you really mean the radio interview.  About five local residents and two ward councillors (one conservative and one labour), they were all 100% against it!  Nobody from the club, obviously Diamond Mike and his cronies too busy counting their share of the monies!
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Friday, June 1, 2007, 14:28:38 »

Fcuking 'ell that was so funny I nearly laughed
Phil_S

Who changed my Avatar ?!

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Friday, June 1, 2007, 15:23:25 »

Good comment by the columnist in todays adver... Can't find it online yet, but basically says only the board want it and its for the money.

It says that the board should come clean about it.

From the Dark Side
millom red

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Saturday, June 2, 2007, 16:21:12 »

Quote from: "Phil_S"
Good comment by the columnist in todays adver... Can't find it online yet, but basically says only the board want it and its for the money.
It says that the board should come clean about it.

Surprise-Surprise......

f it dont need fixing....dont fuckin break it

Await The Day
Phil_S

Who changed my Avatar ?!

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Monday, June 4, 2007, 08:19:17 »

Western Daily Press have a front page Headline article on it.

http://www.westerndailypress.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=146238&command=displayContent&sourceNode=146064&contentPK=17478548&folderPk=100268&pNodeId=145795

From the Dark Side
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Monday, June 4, 2007, 08:43:00 »

Note to current board of STFC
When everybody else seems opposed to this scheme, it's probably everyone else who is right and you who are wrong.  The sooner you U-turn on this, the less painful it will be for you.

EDIT: Seems Mark Devlin is in favour though (in today's Adver).  Well that one certainly took me by surprise.
red macca

« Reply #37 on: Monday, June 4, 2007, 08:52:35 »

Quote from: "Ardiles"

Note to current board of STFC
When everybody else seems opposed to this scheme, it's probably everyone else who is right and you who are wrong.  The sooner you U-turn on this, the less painful it will be for you.

EDIT: Seems Mark Devlin is in favour though (in today's Adver).  Well that one certainly took me by surprise.
Got to admit than on threw me a little bit aswell
McLovin

« Reply #38 on: Monday, June 4, 2007, 08:55:13 »

The bit that annoyed me about the WDP story was:

"We have told the club that the residents are overwhelmingly against it. At the moment the residents only have to suffer a match every second Saturday - a ground-share would ruin their lives."

I'm sorry, but 'suffering' a game every other week sounds a bit dramatic. The club was there when they moved in, so they're causing their own 'suffering'.
red macca

« Reply #39 on: Monday, June 4, 2007, 09:00:23 »

Quote from: "Dave Blackcurrant"

"We have told the club that the residents are overwhelmingly against it. At the moment the residents only have to suffer a match every second Saturday - a ground-share would ruin their lives."

I'm sorry, but 'suffering' a game every other week sounds a bit dramatic. The club was there when they moved in, so they're causing their own 'suffering'.
I agree they should not really have any complaints about the situation as it is but i can fully understand the point about 1 or 2 games every week tbh
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Monday, June 4, 2007, 09:01:28 »

Mr  Devlin's view,

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/swindontown/headlines/display.var.1444092.0.swindon_town_devlin_backs_groundshare.php

FORMER Town chief executive Mark Devlin believes opening the County Ground doors to Bristol Rovers could make sense' - as long as the club cover all angles during the decision process.

Devlin, who resigned his post at Town in February, was chief executive at Queens Park Rangers when they shared Loftus Road with London rivals Fulham between 2002 and 2004 and insists it worked well for the landlords.

With discussions ongoing between Rovers and Swindon about a potential 18-month groundshare from December, Town fans and residents are already protesting but Devlin has urged the fans not to rule it out straightaway.

He said: "The groundshare worked very well with Fulham when I was at QPR. The pitch held up well and there were no instances of crowd trouble.

"We had also had Wasps rugby club sharing with us before that and I don't think there was any trouble in either case.

"It certainly made financial sense for QPR and being honest I think Rangers probably could have earnt a bit more out of it.
advertisement

"I don't think any problem is insurmountable. There is a lot Town need to make sure of before any decision, and I am sure they are doing that, but it could be a lucrative decision."

The main concern among Town fans seem to be the potential of crowd trouble, after recent history between the two groups of supporters, and Devlin conceded that has to be looked into.

He said: "There have been problems between Swindon and Rovers in the past but the club know that and will be asking the right questions to the relevant people.

"There were objections when it happened at Loftus Road from supporters and residents but their concerns proved unfounded.

"At QPR we had to put into place initiatives, like a litter collection programme, for the local community. There were also parking issues but like I said it can be worked out."

The ability of the County Ground to stand up to the extra wear and tear is another concern, but Devlin has backed up Town groundsman Marcus Cassidy's view that it can cope.

Devlin said: "I brought Sportsturf to Swindon and they have experience of working on pitches that have two teams playing on it.

"You would not want reserve games on it and I would think Rovers' reserves would be told to play elsewhere. Perhaps Swindon could move their reserves game elsewhere as well.

"But if Swindon want to share with Rovers and it makes financial sense then I am sure there is a way to make it a success."
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Monday, June 4, 2007, 09:07:52 »

Re: Devlin's view - there's something going on here that's obviously too subtle for me to understand.  Why would Mark D endorse a scheme that could buy Diamandis & Co a little more time?

Anyone (cleverer than me) care to take a guess as to what is going on?
McLovin

« Reply #42 on: Monday, June 4, 2007, 09:11:52 »

Quote from: "red macca"

I agree they should not really have any complaints about the situation as it is but i can fully understand the point about 1 or 2 games every week tbh

Oh i fully understand the desire to not have it every week, i was just a bit peeved with their apparant 'suffering' as it is at the moment...
red macca

« Reply #43 on: Monday, June 4, 2007, 09:12:29 »

Quote from: "red macca"

That does take the piss dont it

Oh i fully understand the desire to not have it every week, i was just a bit peeved with their apparant 'suffering' as it is at the moment...
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Monday, June 4, 2007, 09:50:44 »

I think Devlin's view is fairly reasoned.  My summary is he was asked for an opinion and gave his onw personal view that if it all stacked up then why not.  It does acknowledge the problems though, and his woridng is all based on the Board being able to make the right decisions (that's the bit we know they have a few problems with).

I've never been hugely anti the idea, just fell on the against side of the fecne because the concerns of residents could impact development of the CG in the future.  If the club came out and said the deal was worth £500k a year, then I might well say it was worth a go.

Don't forget Devlin is not directly involved in the Consortium, so is free to express his own personal views.  It's entirely possible he would argue in favour of a groundshare even if employed by Power.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: