Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Michael Vaughan  (Read 2393 times)
DMR

« on: Sunday, February 13, 2005, 13:23:30 »

How on earth is he ODI captain?
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, February 13, 2005, 13:34:38 »

1 He's the best captain in the world
2 Continuity

What's your point? You think he's a shit captain or he doesn't deserve his place in the ODI side?

KP's done it again. He's a fucking sensation.
DMR

« Reply #2 on: Sunday, February 13, 2005, 13:40:11 »

1. Forgotten of Stephen Fleming, Ricky Ponting et all
2. Nothing wrong with a different ODI captain, thats how the Aussies used to do it until Waugh retired.

He certainly doesn't warrant his place sheerly on batting form.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, February 13, 2005, 13:43:07 »

Quote from: "dave_m_russell"
1. Forgotten of Stephen Fleming, Ricky Ponting et all
2. Nothing wrong with a different ODI captain, thats how the Aussies used to do it until Waugh retired.

He certainly doesn't warrant his place sheerly on batting form.
that just makes things more complicated! but he and piterson are the only ones who have shown any glimps of batting skill in this series!
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, February 13, 2005, 13:46:41 »

1 Stephen Fleming?? Hahaha. I thought we were saying the BEST captain, not the most NEGATIVE. I think the Vaughan-Fleming comparison (and who was better) was very apparent when we beat them 3-0. Ricky Ponting - I can't think of a worse captain in the world, perhaps Inzamam-ul-Haq. The Australians know he's fucking shite, but as long as they keep winning it doesn't matter. A monkey could captain that side and they'd still win. Ponting isn't even the best captain in Australia, let alone the world.

2 The Australians used it because they felt Waugh was too old for ODIs and they could give another guy a go at it before he took over the Test side. Vaughan's not too old for ODIs and he won't be relinquishing the Test captaincy for a few years.

"He certainly doesn't warrant his place sheerly on batting form."

The same batting form that has seen him average 40 in this series and 50 over the past 15 games?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, February 13, 2005, 13:54:32 »

Fact is we're not very good at the one day stuff, and haven't been for some years now, personally I don't really care as its a largely tired format.

As long as Vaughan can keep delivering at Test  level , then he keeps the job.
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, February 13, 2005, 13:58:18 »

Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"
Fact is we're not very good at the one day stuff

I disagree... when you're missing the world's best ODI player you're always going to struggle. Without Flintoff the balance of our side is lost. I always knew we'd lose this series without him, but with him we'd have won comfortably.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, February 13, 2005, 14:09:25 »

Disagree all you like mate, but the stats prove otherwise, with or without FF.
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, February 13, 2005, 14:15:50 »

We beat India 2-1 last summer and we beat Australia and Sri Lanka last time we played them. I honestly think we can beat anyone if we played this team (which I think we will in the summer):

1 M Trescothick
2 A Strauss
3 M Vaughan
4 K Pietersen
5 A Flintoff
6 P Collingwood
7 G Jones
8 A Giles
9 S Jones
10 S Harmison
11 D Gough

Or you could give Trescothick the gloves, slot Bell in at 4 and move everyone else down one.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, February 13, 2005, 14:36:41 »

Well my recall of last summer was of England failing to qualify for the final of the three way thingy with NZ and WI.......leaving them to contest the Lords final......

Its a bit difficult to keep track of some of these spurious tournaments which are organised.....like the one in late September,  of which I have zero recall, other than it was a bit of a farce.
Johno

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, February 13, 2005, 14:46:40 »

just got Kallis out!  Soapy Tit Wank
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, February 13, 2005, 14:52:34 »

Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"
Well my recall of last summer was of England failing to qualify for the final of the three way thingy with NZ and WI.......leaving them to contest the Lords final.......

We were without Flintoff for that as well - which shows just how important to us he is. Plus, we had Anthony McGrath and Rikki Clarke in the side - a surefire recipe for disaster.
Johno

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, February 13, 2005, 15:08:14 »

It's obvious our team are just more suited for test games in the type of players we have, our players don't seem to have a clue on how to win ODI's anymore.
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, February 13, 2005, 15:09:28 »

Look at the side I posted above... who's not suited for ODIs?

It's just that we really miss Flintoff.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, February 13, 2005, 17:06:41 »

Sorry we all know and love Freddie, because he's the best we've got, but his stats aren't very impressive for his OD career.

England rank 5 on the all time list.....ahead of India New Zealand and Sri Lanka, of the major players.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: