Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: No more listening to matches for me  (Read 10058 times)
chubbslovesbeer

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 19:35:01 »

Having STFC Player a good minute behind real time in my opinion is a joke.

Normally twitter or even on here has informed me that we have scored and on my laptop the opposition are shooting or Wes has the ball!

It's a joke!Thank u townend for keeping me updated on live games Thumb
Hoboken

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 20:00:03 »

All you need to do is watch any game of football at this level to soon realise how much time the ball spends out of play or in the air - and there are large chunks of the game where nothing happens.

Plus how much description do you need for things like goal keeper has placed the ball down, walked backwards 6 yards, run forward 6 yards and kicked the ball in the air? Or ball boy gets the ball throws it to the full back, he bounces it then puts it above his head, looks around, no ones moving, he waits, the ref blows his whistle, 2 players are pulling each others shirts, the ref talks to them. They continue to do it anyway. The full back finally takes the throw in and the opposition head it out 2 yards further down the pitch and exactly the same thing happens again.

As for the goals - I can't remember the last time a goal went in and I wasn't sure which team has scored it. It certainly hasn't happened since the excitable Vic Morgan was commentating - who I'm pretty certain used to get slated on here most weeks as well.

I enjoy listening to Alan Mac although sometimes he comes across as more of an analyst than a commentator if that makes sense.

I grew up listening to Vic in the late 80s - some classic commentary in the Gills playoff match at the County Ground. Always happier when a true STFC fan commentates, and I have no problem if they are biased!
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 20:08:20 »

At least knowing the ball is with the keeper at all would be a start.

I usually decipher it from the predeceasing shot going over or wide.

I grew up listening to Vic in the late 80s - some classic commentary in the Gills playoff match at the County Ground. Always happier when a true STFC fan commentates, and I have no problem if they are biased!

No problem with the bias - just the over excitement. There was one game and I cant remember which one is was but I think if I had to place it, it was at the start of our relegation season ?(maybe daggers away) and by Vics excitement I thought we had scored but infact the opposition had - which was really confusing.

He got slated after that on here - I'm sure and I think the co-commentator for that game even posted in the thread (he was getting slated to) and someone somewhere must have read it or showed it to Vic because he made a real effort to tone down the excitement particular when the opposition were the ones attacking and it was never an issues again.

I've certainly never had any issue with knowing which way the goals have been going in under Chris Wise and Alan Mac unlike others...
Flashheart

« Reply #48 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 20:12:53 »

Vic was mostly just slated for his over-exuberance. We could get a thrown-in an we'd all think there was a goal.

There was one match where he came under fire for doing exactly the same thing as the current commentators are being accused of.... waffling about stuff that has nowt to do with the match. His co-commentator for that particular night came on the TEF giving it some in response to the criticism, somewhat unprofessionally. To Vic's credit, however, there was a remarkable improvement in that regard the following match.

Vic has his fault's, if being too enthusiastic could be called a fault, but he did generally focus on the job at hand (which is being the eyes of people listening in).
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 20:20:41 »

Was Vic a commentator in the 80's? I can't get my head around that!

Things get better but they never get good
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 21:12:26 »

Vic and Shaun Hodgetts both worked for GWR in the 80's,then Vic joined the newly formed BBC Wilts.There were occasional commentary games,but in the main Vic gave live reports and updates as well as post match interviews.He did these very well.

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 21:18:29 »

I thought Vics live commentary was 80% good, 20% hopeless! The 20% was whenever the ball went near the goal. He was just like we are, which is great in the ground, not so great on the radio Smiley Following Vic on twitter/washbag I've a new found respect for his dedication to STFC - and that drive from Devon.

Can't say I've got too annoyed with the current commentator, but I think Hadwin got it spot on.

That said, there are some truly awful yocal BBC commentators. Usually listen to some post match on some away days. Also we are quite lucky that we are the only league club in Wilts and get all our games covered. Pity the counties/town's with multiple league teams.
Bumpkin

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Thursday, October 4, 2012, 01:11:45 »

The thing that pissed me off about the commentaries were the references to Salisbury and all those other god forsaken places in Wiltshire playing non league stuff.  Who cares?

The adver have started providing updates on Wootton Bassett on their matchday, why?Huh?Huh???
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Thursday, October 4, 2012, 06:14:55 »

The thing that pissed me off about the commentaries were the references to Salisbury and all those other god forsaken places in Wiltshire playing non league stuff.  Who cares?

Because it Wiltshire Radio maybe? You know, a radio station for the county of Wiltshire.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Thursday, October 4, 2012, 06:28:21 »

Because it Wiltshire Radio maybe? You know, a radio station for the county of Wiltshire.

Except for the breakfast show, which is Swindon until they scrap it and merge into a generic Wiltshire region. Bit of a shame that.

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Thursday, October 4, 2012, 08:50:39 »

The adver have started providing updates on Wootton Bassett on their matchday, why?Huh?Huh???
I want to hear it
JanAageisGod

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Thursday, October 4, 2012, 09:13:23 »

Alan Mac is definitely above average imo. If he thinks something his wrong he will say so and why, and he spots things that many of us (certainly me) don't.

Bumpkin

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Thursday, October 4, 2012, 20:10:25 »

Swindon's not in Wiltshire hasn't been for years.

On 1 April 1997 it was made administratively independent of Wiltshire County Council, with its council becoming a new unitary authority.[2] It adopted the name Swindon on 24 April 1997.

I have no interest in Salisbury City or the Screwfix league.
Flashheart

« Reply #58 on: Thursday, October 4, 2012, 20:32:37 »

On 1 April 1997 it was made administratively independent of Wiltshire County Council, with its council becoming a new unitary authority.[2] It adopted the name Swindon on 24 April 1997.

That has to be one of the most confused posts I've seen for a long time, well done.

If you are going to try to use Wikipedia to be smart, you should try reading the first sentence to begin with:
Swindon ( pronunciation (help·info)) is a large town within the Borough of Swindon and ceremonial county of Wiltshire, in South West England.

Oh and perhaps, maybe, the term BBC Wiltshire sound may also drop a hint .

Jesus fucking wept, whilst riding his fucking bike.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Thursday, October 4, 2012, 21:00:25 »

Well don't listen to a radio station/programme that is there to serve the county of fucking Wiltshire then. Fir a Swindon lad you're doing a fine impression of a village idiot.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: