Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: No more listening to matches for me  (Read 9961 times)
Flashheart

« on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 07:04:50 »

I don't see the point, the commentary is fucking atrocious. I have no idea of what is going on during the game and following the game is the entire fucking point of tuning in. It's not a reaction to last night's game (which I couldn't tell was good or bad from the commentary), it's been this poor all season.

Why can't the cunts just talk about the match itself. Where the ball is, which player has it etc.

Might listen to the villa game but other than that I'll just get goal updates from titter instead, it'll probably be more informative.
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 07:19:53 »

Yep agreed, particularly annoying when you get: "Oh he's scored" or "it's a goal" Telling who or even which team would be helpful. I normally have to try to work it out by the level of the crowd noise cheering

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 07:20:54 »

Think listening last night was the better option, watching it was awfully hard!!!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 07:34:33 »

As I also follow mainly online this is a massive problem for a long long time, I used to blame Vic Morgan but it turns out that he was a much much better commentator than what we have now.

Vic can only be accused of caring too much about Swindon and getting over excited when we "nearly scored" other than that he was good, I miss him.

The main commentator now is appalling, does not describe the game at all, does not let you know who is in control of the game, who has the ball, where it is on the pitch and I loved Alan Mac as a player but as a co commentator he is so utterly negative, can only see the bad in our players and only see the good in the oppo players, its almost that he dislikes Swindon in his commentary at times, well most of the time.

I hate, as Ghanimah says, theres a goal, we often don't even know who for let alone which player scored it, we have no idea about the build up sometimes and that we were in posession or that we had lost it in the build up to a goal.

I couldn't do the job but then I am not applying to do the job, but the least they can do is explain what is happening on the pitch.

Yes its obviously dull at times but to just say....Swindon are keeping the ball well and passing it in a slow build up, rather than saying "he has got yellow boots on" and Alan Mac saying that "a player who wear yellow boots is there to be knocked down, he obviously thinks he is a good player to have boots standing out like that oh its a goal....and thats against the run of play".....then they dont even tell you if its us or them that has scored for a few seconds...utterly unprofessional and poor.

It is hugely frustrating to listen to, even when we are doing well they don't tell us what we want to know.

Then again it will never be as bad as when Brunel FM were doing the commentary on games.

I won't stop listening but I am upset by the often pathetic and almost constant poor quality of it.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 07:36:04 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 07:42:21 »

I might be in the minority here, and to be fair I don't listen to every match (and may be playing devil's advocate to a certain extent), but if the commentators only talked about field position who's got the ball etc. wouldn't that be even more boring?

Surely the issue is the commentators need to improve their related conversation, in times when eff all is happening on the pitch - let's face it that can happen quite a lot at this level, and just brush up on the detail when they do describe the action.

I've never had a problem with Alan Mac either, think he just says it how he sees it. A top class player viewing 3rd division football is always likely to mean he'll see the shit in the game?

Flashheart

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 07:50:08 »

I might be in the minority here, and to be fair I don't listen to every match (and may be playing devil's advocate to a certain extent), but if the commentators only talked about field position who's got the ball etc. wouldn't that be even more boring?

In a word, no.

It's what we tune in for jan. If we thought that would be boring then we wouldn't tune in to listen to it.

One match they were even talking about their golf handicaps. Even if we do have the slightest interest in golf, why would we be interested in their handicaps?
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 07:54:38 »

Bring back Ed Hadwin.
Flashheart

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 07:55:51 »

Bring back Ed Hadwin.

Seconded
wiggy
Whippet fancying, T-shirt flogging cunt

Whippet Fancier

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 07:56:45 »

Makes you realise how good Shaun Hodgetts was all those years ago. With him doing the commentary you could picture every kick.

Ed Hadwin used to be good too. He is still there at the beeb, we should have a campaign to get him back.

Thank [insert deity of choice] for beer and peanuts
Peter Venkman

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 07:56:54 »

Bring back Ed Hadwin.
He was damn good, I think he does "Radio Bristol" Rovers games now doesn't he?

Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 07:57:50 »

Yep, he commentates on Rovers now.
Flashheart

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 07:58:59 »

Ed Hadwin used to be good too. He is still there at the beeb, we should have a campaign to get him back.

TEF pressure group to get Messers Hadwin or Hodgetts back. Or at the very least to get the current lot to pull their up.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 07:59:13 »

I would have him back in a heart beat. The best commentator we have had by a long way.

janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 08:09:18 »

In a word, no.

It's what we tune in for jan. If we thought that would be boring then we wouldn't tune in to listen to it.

One match they were even talking about their golf handicaps. Even if we do have the slightest interest in golf, why would we be interested in their handicaps?

I suppose what I mean by that is, a lot of people were saying that was a tough watch last night. Well if it was that bad, surely if the commentators described every kick then after 5 minutes you (you as in general public not you specifically) would be reaching for the off button. So I think they may go on to subjects like golf handicaps (!??!! no idea why you'd pick that subject) just to fill some time and avoid having to say 'well the balls out of play, looks like the ball boys struggling to retrieve the ball, now it's back with Thompson to take the throw in, not much movement from the town players, Thompson still looking to take the throw, referee's stopped Thompson, as he's having a word with Navarro about something....'

What I mean is a lot happens in the game that the average listener doesn't need to know. Perhaps a Swindon die hard does want to know that, but your average punter wants to hear exciting things happening and if not a bit of conversation.  Thinking of the likes of my mates old man, 60 plus, doesn't go to games anymore and likes to tune in.
Flashheart

« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 08:11:40 »

It happens every single match though Jan, even the good ones.

From commentary I just cannot tell whether we are playing well or playing poorly. It all sounds poor only for people that were at certain matches to say they were good games.

And I think your average punter would want to listen to what is happening in the game, it's the entire point of having commentary in the first place.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 08:14:53 by Flashheart » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: