Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: No more listening to matches for me  (Read 9960 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 08:14:23 »

'well the balls out of play, looks like the ball boys struggling to retrieve the ball, now it's back with Thompson to take the throw in, not much movement from the town players, Thompson still looking to take the throw, referee's stopped Thompson, as he's having a word with Navarro about something....'

Thats wierd because that is exactly what I DO want when I am listening, I want the commentators to be my eyes on proceedings.

I may be in the minority here but I would really like pure factual based commentary and not time filling drivel that they do for about 90%+ of the game.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 08:14:26 »

Fair enough FH, just think it's a hell of a lot tougher commentating on this standard of football (which in the grand scheme of things isn't that great), than some give credit for.

I had the 'privilege' of listening the hospital radio commentary of the Bournemouth match, 4-0 win and it sounded like it was a reserve game, thought Bournemouth had scored twice when it was us. Light years behind BBC Radio Swindon.
Flashheart

« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 08:17:05 »

I may be in the minority here but I would really like pure factual based commentary and not time filling drivel that they do for about 90%+ of the game.

I doubt you are in the minority mate.

That type of commentary is exactly what Hadwin and Hodgets delivered and they were very popular.

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 08:17:51 »

For a local station I think they do a decent job. Morgan wa s terrible but he got shifted on. Think Alan mac is a decent pundit and talks alot of sense
« Last Edit: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 08:23:11 by arriba » Logged
kaufman

« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 08:21:22 »

I loved Alan Mac as a player but as a co commentator he is so utterly negative, can only see the bad in our players and only see the good in the oppo players, its almost that he dislikes Swindon in his commentary at times, well most of the time.

Think you're wrong there, Alan tells it how it is and i lost count the amount of times he said "they're still in this, the games not over'
his critique of the players when they're not on form gives me a far better indication of whats going on the field.

Vic was and is still a fantastic commentator and it's a shame he's no longer there at the helm.
Chris Wise is doing an excellent job, knows his football.
Interesting these threads only pop up when we lose.

Shaun Hodgetts does more than we know behind the scenes and I think it's fair to say the club trust the station more than it's local paper.

Flashheart

« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 08:24:58 »

Well you've clearly not been paying attention because myself and others have been saying how shit it is all season, including during wins.
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 08:26:04 »

Fair enough FH, just think it's a hell of a lot tougher commentating on this standard of football (which in the grand scheme of things isn't that great), than some give credit for.

I had the 'privilege' of listening the hospital radio commentary of the Bournemouth match, 4-0 win and it sounded like it was a reserve game, thought Bournemouth had scored twice when it was us. Light years behind BBC Radio Swindon.

I can understand (sort of) if it's a boring game then you need add something to keep up an interest, the problem is the basics aren't being done. Even a simple 'Swindon have scored' or '[away team] have just scored' would improve the commentary immeasurably. At the moment, virtually after every goal, I'm sat there for some time scratching my head trying to work out whether we've scored or conceded. And that ain't good enough.

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 08:27:07 »

Criticism of the match commentary happens often during match day threads.

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
Peter Venkman

« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 08:27:35 »

Well you've clearly not been paying attention because myself and others have been saying how shit it is all season, including during wins.
This is true, almost every single game IIRC. Not just when we lose the standard is fucking shite in the main.

kaufman

« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 08:28:48 »

sorry was too busy listening to the game
Peter Venkman

« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 08:29:08 »

I can understand (sort of) if it's a boring game then you need add something to keep up an interest, the problem is the basics aren't being done. Even a simple 'Swindon have scored' or '[away team] have just scored' would improve the commentary immeasurably. At the moment, virtually after every goal, I'm sat there for some time scratching my head trying to work out whether we've scored or conceded. And that ain't good enough.

Spot on.

Flashheart

« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 08:29:36 »

I have a cunning plan.

I'll just listen to the opposition commentary instead. That'll learn them.
kaufman

« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 08:30:27 »

sorry was too busy listening to the game I don't really visit the match day thread during the game

janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 08:33:11 »

Think you're wrong there, Alan tells it how it is and i lost count the amount of times he said "they're still in this, the games not over'
his critique of the players when they're not on form gives me a far better indication of whats going on the field.

Vic was and is still a fantastic commentator and it's a shame he's no longer there at the helm.
Chris Wise is doing an excellent job, knows his football.

Shaun Hodgetts does more than we know behind the scenes and I think it's fair to say the club trust the station more than it's local paper.

Agree with Alan Mac analysis, think Alan says it how it is, in a realistic cutting way at times. This can come across as negative but I don't think he means it that way at all, he's just giving his opinion on what's happening and why.

Edit - Oops meant to quote Arriba there, not kaufman!
« Last Edit: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 08:34:59 by janaage » Logged
Peter Venkman

« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, October 3, 2012, 08:34:25 »

I have a cunning plan.

I'll just listen to the opposition commentary instead. That'll learn them.
I have done this several times in the past.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: