Pages: 1 ... 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Next manager  (Read 193380 times)
derbystfc

Ignore
« Reply #1005 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2015, 08:06:11 »

Lingy mainly played out wide on the right, and cut in to let Kerslake/Summerbee take over on the overlap.

Ferry was a poor mans John Moncour.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1006 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2015, 13:01:38 »

I didn't mean to single you out, I was genuinely interested as I've only seen footage of him (and the PO final) and he looked pretty good.

I know you weren't singling me out, someone did though Smiley
As has been said most of my Ling memories are 94-96 when he'd already peaked as a player for us.

My main Ling memory was a Tuesday night game against Charlton

We'd just sold Fjortoft so the number 9 shirt on the back of the program was blank. Stadium announcer announces Swindon Towns number 9 will be Martin Ling followed by someone a few rows in front getting up claimed he didn't pay x amount to watch Martin fucking Ling play upfront and he left.

We lost 1-0

Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #1007 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2015, 13:05:16 »

After listening to his interview last night and him talking about coaching the one thing that is interesting is the reason that want to appoint another coach so they can split training and players can work on something different rather than all the same with Ling overseeing it but not involved.

Hopefully it will be a defensive coach
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #1008 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2015, 13:09:51 »

I've not really bothered to put much thought into how Ling will do as our manager. Obviously there are certain things Power will dictate.

I just hope that between Ling and Power, they realise that we need to fight and scrap. You don't get out of relegation battled by playing football. We need to scrap. I know that isn't on Powers agenda but just grind out a few draws to start to with, just to stop the slide and get some confidence back in the squad - then perhaps come back round to the 'Igh Risk football we play
Gullscorer

Ignore
« Reply #1009 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2015, 13:54:27 »

As a Torquay United supporter I'd like to wish Martin Ling all the very best in his new job as Swindon manager.

I have suffered from occasional depressions in my life, and I know they can be as debilitating as any other illness, until it is controlled and the sufferer learns to cope with them. But they never held me back in progressing in my career.

Until he was struck down with depression Martin was one of the Gulls' top managers at Plainmoor, and the manner in which he was dismissed by the previous Torquay board was disgraceful. We've had nothing but bad times since he left.

Overnight miracles don't happen, but I've no doubt that Martin, having survived that bad period in his life, will eventually bring new success to Swindon Town. He's a great guy and an excellent manager who deserves your full support.

Best of luck to him, and I look forward to the day, before I leave the planet, when I see another long-awaited Torquay-Swindon game!
Talk Talk

« Reply #1010 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2015, 14:08:58 »

Shouldn't this thread now be about discussing our next manager?

Hmmm
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #1011 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2015, 14:45:05 »

Ling out
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1012 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2015, 15:57:37 »

As a Torquay United supporter I'd like to wish Martin Ling all the very best in his new job as Swindon manager.

I have suffered from occasional depressions in my life, and I know they can be as debilitating as any other illness, until it is controlled and the sufferer learns to cope with them. But they never held me back in progressing in my career.

Until he was struck down with depression Martin was one of the Gulls' top managers at Plainmoor, and the manner in which he was dismissed by the previous Torquay board was disgraceful. We've had nothing but bad times since he left.

Overnight miracles don't happen, but I've no doubt that Martin, having survived that bad period in his life, will eventually bring new success to Swindon Town. He's a great guy and an excellent manager who deserves your full support.

Best of luck to him, and I look forward to the day, before I leave the planet, when I see another long-awaited Torquay-Swindon game!

It's a shame to see the Gulls in a bit of a slump...always like an away day on the English Riviera, and there's been some good old games down the years. Here's hoping you can rally sufficiently to avoid Conference South or worse.
steveg

Ignore
« Reply #1013 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2015, 18:18:54 »

It's a shame to see the Gulls in a bit of a slump...always like an away day on the English Riviera, and there's been some good old games down the years. Here's hoping you can rally sufficiently to avoid Conference South or worse.

Can remember being inside the ground and the commentator said" welcome to the Swindon fans and the Torquay fans will be along later" seems we have acquired their footwear of late.

Super Swindon fans( not shy of a moan didn't you know?)
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #1014 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2015, 18:27:07 »

I have to say that I was sceptical about Ling rejoining us as manager.

Having read the link about his previous mental health issues and his own self doubts about ever getting another chance to manage in football, let alone a league club, and having heard him on the Sean Hodgetts blow-job show tonight (god that sycophantic creep makes my fucking blood boil...) I'm genuinely impressed.

He sounds like he knows what he wants and how to get it.

He sounds like he's happy to work under the Power-stylee management rules.

He's got a bit of a decent track record as a manager prior to his health problems.

He's an ex-town player with a good reputation in the game and he's going to be a lot hungrier for success that a lot of the carousel managers.

He's an exponent of passing football and he knows the club.

Overall, I think we could have done a lot worse.

Kudos to Power for taking a chance on him. Hopefully he'll repay the faith.
My thoughts exactly, I am somewhat optimistic having reflected and listened to the phone in yesterday, which was heightened by securing Gladwin for the season who is arguably our best player.
steveg

Ignore
« Reply #1015 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2015, 18:33:18 »

My thoughts exactly, I am somewhat optimistic having reflected and listened to the phone in yesterday, which was heightened by securing Gladwin for the season who is arguably our best player.
Like😀⚽️🔴⚽️⚪️
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1016 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2015, 18:59:54 »

24 hr recall....Chris Ramsey to be sacked soon, wouldn't get over excited about it.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #1017 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2015, 19:08:31 »

Quote from: Reg Smeeton link=the opic=56128.msg1357781#msg1357781 date=1446663594
24 hr recall....Chris Ramsey to be sacked soon, wouldn't get over excited about it.

Agreed. It's good news but I don't expect him to be at Town for the duration.
Processed Beats

I drop beats from this processed meat.

Ignore
« Reply #1018 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2015, 20:39:49 »

Technical director also incoming according to Sam.
Flashheart

« Reply #1019 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2015, 20:42:23 »

What is a 'technical director'.

I'm guessing it might be a different title for a DOF because we already have a DOF (Power).

Anybody?
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 67 [68] 69 70 71   Go Up
Print
Jump to: