Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Next manager  (Read 193367 times)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #990 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 20:38:57 »

In fairness he probably only remembers him from the division 1 title winning team under McMahon where he did have a pretty poor season and barely played.

Linger's pen pic from the ever-excellent www.swindon-town-fc.co.uk sums it up nicely:

Martin had two spells at Swindon, the first was in 1986/1987, where he made just two appearances before being transferred to Southend, after being unable to come to terms with Lou Macari's long ball style.

Ossie Ardiles brought him back to the club during 1990/1991, but it was under Glenn Hoddle that he really blossomed, and his best season for Swindon was in the promotion-winning year of 1992/1993, when he missed just three games. His good form resulted in him being named the "Carling Candidate", an award for the player of each team considered to be the most important for the forthcoming Premiership season.

Unfortunately, Ling never lived up to this billing - he was too lightweight for the Premiership - and he never really regained his form after that. After the Premier season, he stayed at the club for two more seasons, when his first team chances became more and more limited. He left at the end of the 1995/1996 season, after making just sixteen appearances during the Second Division championship campaign.

Easy to see how opinions could differ, depending on which seasons are being remembered.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #991 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 20:40:00 »

I remember watching the match when they came to the CG around that time.  They practised long balls from one end of the pitch to the other in the warm up.  Proper full length of the pitch twattings.  

I may be mis remembering it but before the match Im sure I could see they had some lads on the athletics pitch doing the same and at half time they sent players out early doing the same.

Never knowingly overstated.
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #992 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 20:45:58 »

Was Andy Kings first game as manager vs a Beck's Cambridge? Remember the gate being very very low and then having Dave Kitson
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #993 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 20:47:20 »

Genuinely curious whether anyone else thinks this? I never saw him play myself.

I loved him as a player, was my idol when i was growing up
theakston2k

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #994 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 20:49:30 »

Was Andy Kings first game as manager vs a Beck's Cambridge? Remember the gate being very very low and then having Dave Kitson
And half the Arkells stand being closed because the roof had fallen down!
Flashheart

« Reply #995 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 20:52:16 »

I definitely remember Lingy being very popular among our female fans.

And what was his song? "Martin-a-ling, Martin-a-ling"?
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #996 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 21:01:03 »

He was a really good player.  Him and Moncur were great in a great midfield.  I always though Hoddle was able to bring players up a level beyond there actual ability.  If that make sense.

Never knowingly overstated.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #997 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 21:02:45 »

You can guarantee more George Moncur rumours in January as well if Ling gets the job.
Hopefully he doesn't still rate Billy Bodin. Could you imagine if he came back?! It'd be like the Miles Storey and Ty Belford love in on acid!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #998 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 21:22:16 »

I didn't watch town regularly  until after the premier league season.

consequently I remember him as being distinctly average.

my last memory of seeing him play was Me shouting about him only having one leg,  just before he planted one in the onion bag.
Christy

Ignore
« Reply #999 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 22:09:16 »

Fond memories of him as a player - Nathan Byrne might be a comparison for those who didn't see him, albeit quality at a level higher than Byrne managed with us. Lingy had a great ability to occupy opponents with long ball carrying runs...creating space for other talented players around him.  Genuinely exciting on his day, although he could be lightweight and inconsistent, and not the greatest finisher, he gave his all every week - a work ethic I look forward to him instilling.

Whilst he was sensational in 92/3, the Premier League was a level of muscle above him, although I think I remember him having a great game at Anfield.  And in the 95/6 season, didn't he take us into round 5 of the cup with a late, late volley against Oldham (possible stat: we didn't then beat a team from a higher division until the PDC regime)? 

Fair play to the honest, brave and public ways he's confronted his mental health issues in what is a pretty unsympathetic industry.  And fair play to Lee Power too for employing a man who didn't think he'd get another chance, it makes me feel a little bit proud of our club.

So round 5 of the FA Cup will do for starters this time around x
Amir

« Reply #1000 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2015, 00:02:18 »

My one abiding memory of him playing is that goal against Oldham, after they'd played 95 minutes for a draw. I even remember his suggestion that the manager should look at that performance and start him more regularly, although that probably suggests it was on an end of season highlights tape that I nearly wore out.

Having only seen him from 94-96, I'm of the same opinion as dv and batch about his footballing prowess. As for management I'm glad to see him at the club, so let's see what he can do!
deltaincline

« Reply #1001 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2015, 00:22:35 »

I have to say that I was sceptical about Ling rejoining us as manager.

Having read the link about his previous mental health issues and his own self doubts about ever getting another chance to manage in football, let alone a league club, and having heard him on the Sean Hodgetts blow-job show tonight (god that sycophantic creep makes my fucking blood boil...) I'm genuinely impressed.

He sounds like he knows what he wants and how to get it.

He sounds like he's happy to work under the Power-stylee management rules.

He's got a bit of a decent track record as a manager prior to his health problems.

He's an ex-town player with a good reputation in the game and he's going to be a lot hungrier for success that a lot of the carousel managers.

He's an exponent of passing football and he knows the club.

Overall, I think we could have done a lot worse.

Kudos to Power for taking a chance on him. Hopefully he'll repay the faith.
Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #1002 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2015, 02:10:37 »

Quite happy to see him appointed and like many others on here remember him well from the Hoddle era. Just trust that he can instil the necessary combination of football and work ethic we currently require.

I may be wrong, but iirc he was a co-commentator on one of our away games (recently?) and was quite scathing about the way we were playing so it will be interesting to see what changes he makes.

Hmmm

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
derbystfc

Ignore
« Reply #1003 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2015, 07:42:10 »

Martin Ling, Taking the piss out of Aston Villa in the FA cup in 92 (or was it 91). Him and Horlock ripped a new one into Notts County in the 92 season also.

Basically a much better version then Anthony Mcnamee.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #1004 on: Wednesday, November 4, 2015, 07:52:12 »

Basically a much better version then Anthony Mcnamee.

Really? I'd have said more of a superior Simon Ferry.

Ling was exceedingly reliable under Hoddle, excellent footballer who rarely let you down. Hope he's the same in management.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71   Go Up
Print
Jump to: