Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 ... 71   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Next manager  (Read 193366 times)
molepar

Ignore
« Reply #945 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 15:55:20 »

I don't think it's fair to mention those bad signings and neglect talking about one of the worst signings; Brad Barry. It was evident from his first involvement in preseason friendlies that he isn't up to scratch and was playing his team mates into trouble with poor backpasses time and time again, resulting in goals on occasion, like the late one against Villa. I'm certain that if he was no relation to Gareth Barry he would not being playing in League One. I haven't seen any of his so-called potential. Against Wigan he was beaten down his flank twice in the opening 3 or 4 minutes, on one occasion he was outmuscled completely and it was embarrassing for him to be honest. You can see that Branco has some words with him afterwards (looks like words of encouragement, rather than having a go) but he looked like the weakest link. I wonder if there was resistance from Cooper to sign him as the whole saga seemed very protracted. Cooper seemed to say things like "Barry did okay" after his preseason trial appearances but never really praised his performances unlike some of the others e.g. Robert. There seemed to be a certain inevitability about signing him. There must be some kind of motive to signing him like there may have been with us signing (and regularly playing) Rodgers because Barry certainly doesn't look like he is here on footballing merit.
random_five

Downton, Wiltshire

Ignore
« Reply #946 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 15:57:16 »

Blowing a ton of cash on assembling the worst squad we've had in fifty years

- Can't happen here, Ling won't be involved with player recruitment

in tandem with his arrogant, self-righteous and dismissive attitude towards the fans who turned up to watch

- Unlikely to happen here either, due to Ling's connection to the club from his playing days

although he still managed to ruffle a few more feathers by referring to us as a 'shithole club'

- You are a shithole club

Next.
Flashheart

« Reply #947 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 16:03:00 »

Most, if not all, of our players have been poor up until the last couple of games. Even the ones we know are not poor. Let's not judge the new guys by what's happened this season. They could come good if recent changes have the intended effect.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #948 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 16:22:13 »

I don't think it's fair to mention those bad signings and neglect talking about one of the worst signings; Brad Barry. It was evident from his first involvement in preseason friendlies that he isn't up to scratch and was playing his team mates into trouble with poor backpasses time and time again, resulting in goals on occasion, like the late one against Villa. I'm certain that if he was no relation to Gareth Barry he would not being playing in League One. I haven't seen any of his so-called potential. Against Wigan he was beaten down his flank twice in the opening 3 or 4 minutes, on one occasion he was outmuscled completely and it was embarrassing for him to be honest. You can see that Branco has some words with him afterwards (looks like words of encouragement, rather than having a go) but he looked like the weakest link. I wonder if there was resistance from Cooper to sign him as the whole saga seemed very protracted. Cooper seemed to say things like "Barry did okay" after his preseason trial appearances but never really praised his performances unlike some of the others e.g. Robert. There seemed to be a certain inevitability about signing him. There must be some kind of motive to signing him like there may have been with us signing (and regularly playing) Rodgers because Barry certainly doesn't look like he is here on footballing merit.

Barry is a product what might be called the Agombar syndrome....other than he was at Brighton so Williams might have had something to do with it.
molepar

Ignore
« Reply #949 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 16:24:35 »

Agombar only made one appearance for us though so his lack of skill didn't matter as much.
Skinny Pete

« Reply #950 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 16:33:32 »

If I had one big moan about Power's recruitment it has been his failure to sign a decent left back/wingback.

He seems willing to dish out contracts for plenty of average midfielders but he seems to turn away from a left back.

Oh for a Bodin
Panda Paws

« Reply #951 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 16:37:47 »

Toffolo was pretty darn good for the majority of last season....
molepar

Ignore
« Reply #952 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 16:41:24 »

Turnbull has done okay when he's been put there but I struggle to remember when we last had a good left back....I'm not going to count Byrne because he was much better in midfield in my opinion.
Skinny Pete

« Reply #953 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 16:46:01 »

I never really rated Toffolo. We're now squeezing non left backs into the role.

BOO looks poor. But it is so obvious to me that teams attack us down the left more often than not. They know where our weakness lies
molepar

Ignore
« Reply #954 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 16:49:54 »

Apart from when Barry plays and then they attack us on that side...
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #955 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 16:58:27 »

Agombar only made one appearance for us though so his lack of skill didn't matter as much.

The point is that it showed the club was signing players for reasons other than being a footballer...we've seen this before where players have been signed as a favour to an agent, or some such madness.

It's the murky world of football transfers involving agents....remember when Fitton tried to do without them for deals. When Wray took over he had no such qualms but spunked a fortune on dross.

We seem to  have been taken for a ride in the summer...
« Last Edit: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 17:07:05 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
blah blah

Ignore
« Reply #956 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 17:08:52 »

Agombar wasnt even the first - who was the lad that Kingy signed who was the son of a mate of his ? Big gangly centre back I think, played 1 JPT game away at Boston, never to be seen again.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #957 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 17:10:17 »

Agombar wasnt even the first - who was the lad that Kingy signed who was the son of a mate of his ? Big gangly centre back I think, played 1 JPT game away at Boston, never to be seen again.

Ben Martin.  I once had a chat with Big Ben, who told me he was in fact more of a tennis player  Smiley

I think that JPT game, Boston were in the south section, whereas Hereford in the north  Smiley

Hereford were in the first round of the FA Vase on Sat, along with such sides as FC Romania and the wonderful Sporting Khalsa.  The name Agombar links both Hereford and us  Wink
« Last Edit: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 17:18:07 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #958 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 17:32:07 »

Ben martin
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #959 on: Tuesday, November 3, 2015, 17:58:42 »

to be honest Barry has looked a bit better than when I saw him at supermarine, where I reckon I could have done just as well.

given the opposition have got tougher I suppose that's a positive...

never seen anything in traore, he just runs around a lot.

not looking forward to Louis and gladwin going back. have to hope we have replacements lined up...
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 ... 71   Go Up
Print
Jump to: