Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: We've not had a religious debate on here for a while...  (Read 19908 times)
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: Friday, July 20, 2012, 11:39:52 »

That is just pure and utter bollocks.

And stop putting evidence in quote marks as though to question it's legitimacy. Fossils, for example, are evidence whether you like it or not.
Evidence of what?
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: Friday, July 20, 2012, 11:45:37 »

We should have a religious thread once a week, they're fucking great entertainment.
DMR

« Reply #107 on: Friday, July 20, 2012, 11:46:25 »

No one can prove there is a God and no one can prove there isn't, that's why it's a 'belief' one has.

This is such a flimsy argument.

It strikes me that the common Christian (or other) concept that is since they can't prove the absence of God then God must exist. The burden of proof falls on the one claiming the positive. If there is no proof you didn't commit murder does that make you guilty? Of course not, as the burden of proof is not on you. You are not expected to prove you are innocent because proving a negative is nearly impossible if not completely so.

Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Friday, July 20, 2012, 11:49:32 »

So many double negatives in that post. Can't understand

Things get better but they never get good
Barry Scott

« Reply #109 on: Friday, July 20, 2012, 11:50:32 »

This is such a flimsy argument.

It strikes me that the common Christian (or other) concept that is since they can't prove the absence of God then God must exist. The burden of proof falls on the one claiming the positive. If there is no proof you didn't commit murder does that make you guilty? Of course not, as the burden of proof is not on you. You are not expected to prove you are innocent because proving a negative is nearly impossible if not completely so.

As usual Dangerous Machine Rotations posts and wins.
walcot red

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: Friday, July 20, 2012, 11:52:46 »

Evidence of what?

Evidence of Dinosaurs!!!!!
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: Friday, July 20, 2012, 11:54:21 »

I find it hard to take seriously when you have a talking snake and a bush that talks when its on fire. Religion does make some sense in the fact that it tells people to be nice to each other be tolerant and respectful, don't steal etc. Other then that I don't buy into it. I respect people who believe in something I don't, but I don't like it when people accost me in town or knock on my door and tell me to repent because I live my life the way I choose. Leave me alone and I'll leave you alone. Religion isn't for everyone.
I agree with you on the last bit. It's your choice and if you don't want to be bothered then that's up to you....

As for the talking snake and bush - I don't see how it is so difficult to understand. If you believe in God, a supernatural being, then it shouldn't be too difficult to believe it. Who's to say that snakes, and other animals for that matter, didn't talk before Adam and Eve sinned? As for the burning bush, the Bible states that it was God talking.

It's just as believable for me as life spontaneously starting from inorganic matter and all matter being created from nothing. Personally, I find it incredible that people swallow the evolution theory because scientists tell them it is true yet mock events in the Bible.

Remember that not so long ago people (including scientists of the time) believed the world was flat. If you had been around at that time you would have believed it too and if someone had suggested that it was round you would have laughed at them.....
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: Friday, July 20, 2012, 11:55:03 »

Evidence of Dinosaurs!!!!!
Which proves what?
walcot red

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: Friday, July 20, 2012, 11:58:13 »

Which proves what?

That dinsosaurs exisited!!!! I thought that was obvious?
mrverve

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: Friday, July 20, 2012, 12:00:04 »

One thing I really don't get about believing in the bible.....

It has been proven to be wrong time and time again.
No, we did not come from Adam and Eve.
No, the Earth was not made in seven days.
No, the Earth is not 5,000 (or whatever) years old.
And so on

These aren't little things. These are bloody great big mahoosive errors and pretty much cornerstones of the whole kit and kaboodle. If I saw a maths text book that said 2+2 = 5, how could I have any faith in the rest of it? If a Thai translation book said the word for Elephant means Brussels Sprouts, why would I use that book for translations? If blatant lies were found in a biography, why believe anything else it says?

So why is it that believers can overlook such massive errors in the bible and choose to have faith in anything else within it? To do so just doesn't make one iota of sense.

The majority of Christians do not take the bible literally, Creationists do.
Huwwy

"The world is my lobster"

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Friday, July 20, 2012, 12:00:23 »

This is hard work. It's no wonder you are in exile Bob.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: Friday, July 20, 2012, 12:14:46 »

Praise the lord
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #117 on: Friday, July 20, 2012, 12:46:17 »

Who's to say that snakes, and other animals for that matter, didn't talk before Adam and Eve sinned?

Hahhahahahahahhahahahahahahaaaahahahhaahahhhahahaaaaa
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: Friday, July 20, 2012, 13:05:33 »

The majority of Christians do not take the bible literally, Creationists do.

I'll say it again... this depends what you mean by takign it literally, and by creationists. Nobody (not even 'creationists') takes the whole Bible literally - a lot of it is pictoral, using imagery to describe things. I believe that God created all things, and I believe in the fall of man, but that doesn't mean I take the Hebrew poetry of Genesis 1-3 as a literal record of how it happened.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #119 on: Friday, July 20, 2012, 13:10:36 »

I'll say it again... this depends what you mean by takign it literally, and by creationists. Nobody (not even 'creationists') takes the whole Bible literally - a lot of it is pictoral, using imagery to describe things. I believe that God created all things, and I believe in the fall of man, but that doesn't mean I take the Hebrew poetry of Genesis 1-3 as a literal record of how it happened.

So in your view God created AIDS, cancer, natural disasters, Justin Bieber etc... to what end? I refer you to my earlier Darwin quote...

You are saying God created a parasitic wasp that needs to completely devour another creature alive from the inside (missing vital organs so it stays alive for longer in immense pain and suffering) just to make it past gestation stage???

Why the fuck would an 'intelligent designer' create such a creature? If he exists, he's a fucking sicko.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 ... 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: