Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: FA Cup Draw  (Read 16532 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: Monday, January 25, 2010, 17:31:55 »

Since our trip into the unknown, I've actually grown to hate the game. Football is all about money now...

Don't think you are the first or last to say that.

I have a friend in the Reading area who is a Chelsea fan (have you seen him down the Bridge Smiley). Said pretty much the same thing. Went for years and years home and a lot of away. This year he's been to one game. Fact is, Prem success doesn't necessarily = more enjoyment. Does beating Bolton at home really mean more as a Chelsea fan top of the Prem than winning against Stockport as a Swindon fan in the playoff places. No.

But despite being 'tin pot' and 'shit' in some peoples eyes there is a lot to be said for being able to rock up and get a ticket on match day without the need to mortgage your house to pay for it. Its not like the old days, but its a better approximation than the Greed League provides.

Try it yourself next year!
(.)Boobies(.)

« Reply #166 on: Monday, January 25, 2010, 18:06:21 »

Don't think you are the first or last to say that.

I have a friend in the Reading area who is a Chelsea fan (have you seen him down the Bridge Smiley). Said pretty much the same thing. Went for years and years home and a lot of away. This year he's been to one game. Fact is, Prem success doesn't necessarily = more enjoyment. Does beating Bolton at home really mean more as a Chelsea fan top of the Prem than winning against Stockport as a Swindon fan in the playoff places. No.

But despite being 'tin pot' and 'shit' in some peoples eyes there is a lot to be said for being able to rock up and get a ticket on match day without the need to mortgage your house to pay for it. Its not like the old days, but its a better approximation than the Greed League provides.

Try it yourself next year!

Well if we're relegated or not, we'll still be forking out £23 a ticket minimum. Difference is, I'd probably go more if we went down. Real football grounds and real fans, I miss it. Although you can't fault the Championship.

There's a huge sense of frustration here still. We finished 8th in the Premiership, and tight arse Madejski think we can pull off miracles every year. It just doesn't happen. Even the Bolton's and Blackburn's have to invest to remain there, albeit through the skin of their teeth.

Madejski is a business man, and we're in good nick, can't fault it, but he ripped the team apart with all the sales, and very little reinvested. Although £2m in the summer on Matt Mills was a shock, but a lot of that is based on promotion (lolikely). He still spouts crap about getting back to the Premiership though, and I that's what really p**ses off the support. Fair enough admit it's a time for change to restructure the books and keep us making money, but we wont be anywhere near a promotion outfit for years unless a new investor comes in.

Rumours are that an American and Mexican (don't laugh) are fighting it out to buy us. Hopefully something to happen in the next few weeks. All very cloak and dagger... That isn't always good news though, as we see every day now (btw, soapy tit wank @ Portsmouth).

Here's hoping we somehow stay up and you can come up too. It'd be good to have you back.

I'm feeling there's every chance though that we will meet next season, but in League 1, sadly.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #167 on: Monday, January 25, 2010, 18:11:19 »

Well if we're relegated or not, we'll still be forking out £23 a ticket minimum. Difference is, I'd probably go more if we went down. Real football grounds and real fans, I miss it. Although you can't fault the Championship.

There's a huge sense of frustration here still. We finished 8th in the Premiership, and tight arse Madejski think we can pull off miracles every year. It just doesn't happen. Even the Bolton's and Blackburn's have to invest to remain there, albeit through the skin of their teeth.

Madejski is a business man, and we're in good nick, can't fault it, but he ripped the team apart with all the sales, and very little reinvested. Although £2m in the summer on Matt Mills was a shock, but a lot of that is based on promotion (lolikely). He still spouts crap about getting back to the Premiership though, and I that's what really p**ses off the support. Fair enough admit it's a time for change to restructure the books and keep us making money, but we wont be anywhere near a promotion outfit for years unless a new investor comes in.

Rumours are that an American and Mexican (don't laugh) are fighting it out to buy us. Hopefully something to happen in the next few weeks. All very cloak and dagger... That isn't always good news though, as we see every day now (btw, soapy tit wank @ Portsmouth).

Here's hoping we somehow stay up and you can come up too. It'd be good to have you back.

I'm feeling there's every chance though that we will meet next season, but in League 1, sadly.

And that is why you are plastic. Bemoaning a guy who has bankrolled your club for 10 years. The mind boggles.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: Monday, January 25, 2010, 18:37:38 »

Maybe I'd feel the same if I was in your position, but from the outside looking in he did the right thing. You can't put the club at risk chasing the dream.

In fact we did that and to some extent it nearly killed us, albeit several years later. Although I'm guessing Madjetski might have a bit more financial scruples than certain previous Swindon non-directors who definititely didn't ru(i)n our club.
(.)Boobies(.)

« Reply #169 on: Monday, January 25, 2010, 19:21:09 »

And that is why you are plastic. Bemoaning a guy who has bankrolled your club for 10 years. The mind boggles.

He hasn't bankrolled us though. He loaned us money, interest free, and we have all but paid that back to him now. Largely from the mass sales recently. He's entitled to do that, of course, but he's only hurried it because he wants a buyer, and he knows the value of the club has dramitcally dropped from the £100m he wanted two years ago, to about £25m now. The club has been running at a profite for some years, allowing us one big signing a summer, and clever additions to go with it.

Plastic? You move to Yorkshire and drive to every home and away game still, I did. No plastic here, just someone that has released the real value of money, and I choose to pick and choose when to part with my own.

I love the club, but I don't love football now, that's the change.
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: Monday, January 25, 2010, 19:24:37 »

I like him

Agreed.  We could do with a token Reading fan to keep Oxford fan company. 
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: Monday, January 25, 2010, 19:27:26 »

Agreed.  We could do with a token Reading fan to keep Oxford fan company. 

Would offer plenty of scope for threads about biscuits.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #172 on: Monday, January 25, 2010, 19:29:54 »

It looks like part time plastic would be more appropriate. Go to Yorkshire and become as tight fisted as the wippet fuckers.
Spencer_White

« Reply #173 on: Monday, January 25, 2010, 19:30:03 »

But the buses to the ground aren't expensive, and it's less than 10 minutes. Sadly that's new stadiums for you. I'd sooner be back in a redeveloped Elm Park.

Its not the same. Take a walk from the station to the County Ground through the alley ways and you remmember where football came from and what it was originally all about.

I feel so proud to walk the same steps that Swindon fans have been taking for over a century.

Im looking forward to playing Reading again.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: Monday, January 25, 2010, 19:31:13 »

Huntly an Palmer biscuits...crunchy tonight..crunchy tonight.
Huntly and Palmer have a museum in Reading....with stories of biscuits past.
Wasnt it Peak Freans in older days Reg?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: Monday, January 25, 2010, 19:38:07 »

Huntly an Palmer biscuits...crunchy tonight..crunchy tonight.
Huntly and Palmer have a museum in Reading....with stories of biscuits past.
Wasnt it Peak Freans in older days Reg?

Ooh good name there Leefer..apparently Peek Freans were a London company who amalgamated with Huntley and Palmer in 1921.....then you had Jacobs...

My father used to play bowls v Huntley and Palmer....definitely Railwaymen v Biscuitmen back then, friendly rivalry...he just hated Bristhole.
(.)Boobies(.)

« Reply #176 on: Monday, January 25, 2010, 19:41:37 »

It looks like part time plastic would be more appropriate. Go to Yorkshire and become as tight fisted as the wippet fuckers.

You sound fit, what you wearing?
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #177 on: Monday, January 25, 2010, 19:44:03 »

Fat bastard trousers and a shirt that makes me look like Winnie the Pooh - and old git slippers.
(.)Boobies(.)

« Reply #178 on: Monday, January 25, 2010, 19:46:19 »

Fat bastard trousers and a shirt that makes me look like Winnie the Pooh - and old git slippers.

Soapy Tit Wank You're too good to be true, I expected lower standards of riff raff in Swindon. Do you only have the 8 fingers and 2 thumbs?  Wink
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #179 on: Monday, January 25, 2010, 19:49:12 »

Yup, just 8+2 and no webbing in between either. Did they play the Undertones "My Perfect Cousin" at your wedding?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: