Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A roof for the Bank at last.  (Read 56459 times)
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Friday, February 6, 2015, 21:14:56 »

meh, who cares if away fans get wet.
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Friday, February 6, 2015, 21:48:13 »

With regards to funding, are we not eligible for some sort of grant? Other teams seem to get them. Surely with no ground improvements since 94' we'd be considered?
leftside

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Friday, February 6, 2015, 22:18:06 »

McCrory quoted a price of 120k for the roof so god knows what he had in mind!
Umbrellas.

I think it would be better if the club and Trust and SBC (!!!) and Supporters Club, MPs, regeneration bods etc committed to a longer-term vision for the whole site, starting with committing to stay on the CG site and redevelop (in stages) to create a stadium worthy of second division footy and incorporate facilities that would enable potentially 7 days a week viable usage (even if it means some compromise on the existing covenant stipulations).

The Trust some years ago put down a vision for the stadium, which could act as a basis for a renewed discussion. While the Trust's current ambition for the SB is a positive and pragmatic plan for the short term, I think it would only hinder a much-needed long-term vision that would benefit the club, supporters and town as a whole.

A long-term vision would focus everyone, including councilors, local residents and businesses - all would would know where they stood from an early date, even if the finished product took years to bloom.

There's plenty of room at the CG currently (attendance-wise) for staged reconstruction - home and away fans can easily be housed in three stands while one is worked on. For example, if the SB is being rebuilt a proportion of, or all of the DR could be given to away fans, depending on the demand, with home fans pretty much filling the TE and Arkells.

Pie in the sky? Maybe. But I don't think anyone would admit that the whole of the CG site - car park, CG, open spaces, athletics track, cricket pitch, couldn't be better used. It is a prime site in a great location, with cultural and sporting heritage that a lot of people hold dear. It deserves better.
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Friday, February 6, 2015, 22:23:15 »

With regards to funding, are we not eligible for some sort of grant? Other teams seem to get them. Surely with no ground improvements since 94' we'd be considered?

The old Football Grounds Improvement Trust was funded from the Pools taxation and provided around 25% of ground improvement funding. Was wound up in 2000 and the biggest beneficiaries were clubs like Derby who built new grounds in the 1990s and City who got £2.8m.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Friday, February 6, 2015, 23:41:52 »

Did we not all but pay for the Intel Stand with a grant?

Oh and lets not worry about this one, linked closely to the Trust initiative I would imagine.  They said more news to follow in a few weeks.  prove the concept and then get business involved was the plan, seems to be working.  And if we did redevelop the Town End properly and get promoted, it does need some effort.
Ironside
Wir müssen die Liberalen ausrotten

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Friday, February 6, 2015, 23:56:52 »

As the trust have already met with the club you would have thought if he had anything to come clean about he would have

Anyway for once its some good news re the CG so am not complaining esp as not costing the club anything
Kudos to the trust  Beers
My point is that 500k is probably wasted now, when Mr P still has an explanation to provide us with, bearing in mind that it was reported in some  circles as being 'a major investment'.

500k on tarting up the bank now, could turn out to be a waste of money. The same money in a new stand could be more... Influential...

I'm not having a pop at them, they've obviously gone and raised this money, I'm just saying that a roof there (which I would love), might not be the way forward...

Genius, Gentleman Explorer, French Cabaret Chantoose  and Small Bets Placed and someone who knows who they are changed my signature but its only know that I can be arsed to change it....and I mean all the spelling mistakes.

Was it me? It can't have been an interesting enough event for me to remember - fB.
Not that Nice If I'm Honest

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Friday, February 6, 2015, 23:59:06 »

'propped cantilever stand' at the risk of sounding stupid, what does this mean?

I know what you're getting at - either propped or cantilever ?
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Saturday, February 7, 2015, 00:05:35 »

I know what you're getting at - either propped or cantilever ?

I refer you both to the Arkells.  That is a larger scale version of a propped cantilever stand.  Most of the support comes from above, with a few struts to support the structure.  Much cheaper than full cantilever, less steel.

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Saturday, February 7, 2015, 00:07:40 »

Never happen. As far as plod are concerned it's easier to contain away fans in the Bank

Don't agree

The Police would love to park the away fans coaches directly behind the "Town end " if it was for away fans.
Makes a lot of sense from a policing point of view.
But as someone from an old forgotten era, that used to defend the Town End from away fans at all costs, I think we would sell our soul if we gave up the Town End.

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Saturday, February 7, 2015, 00:12:18 »

For some years when I lived down there, I was a regular at Fratton Park, and trust me that is a infinitely better than the old open Milton End.

I remember 20 years ago when an unnamed guy used to offer £500 to anyone who could track down the stupid twat from Portsmouth with the hat and the tattoos and give him a "hello"
But he was only ever visible inside the ground

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: Saturday, February 7, 2015, 00:16:09 »

Would you build a £50,000 extension on your house that you only used when the family came round at Christmas?

It's a senseless waste of money. Until we're selling out every week, there's absolutely no need to do this.

I'm astonished to find myself agreeing with you

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Saturday, February 7, 2015, 00:18:53 »

What's wrong with away fans sitting in the rain ?

"Elephant in the room"

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Saturday, February 7, 2015, 00:22:58 »

An invasive survey means drilling into the bank to see what's below and determine the  type of footings required for the stantions.

Probably just a front for Fracking - eh Reg

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Saturday, February 7, 2015, 00:28:35 »

Loads of posts all in a row probably means I got carried away with the dragon taming.
Apologies
Godonight
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Saturday, February 7, 2015, 00:43:23 »

What's wrong with away fans sitting in the rain ?

"Elephant in the room"

I dont care if they do but the league obliges us to provide some covered seating.
Current rules on away allocation are 2000 or 10% of capacity ( so ours should be around 1500 )
As we have to provide some covered it means we use the Arkells and when an away club brings more than 1200 they have to use the SB as overflow. So 2 stands to steward/police at approx 3300 capacity or 22%.

I guess looking forward if we do get promoted it would make sense to give the bank to away fans as we all know away followings will be larger.

I get all the arguments that its polishing a turd/putting lipstick on pig etc and in an ideal world it would be a new stand not just a roof but as we all know we dont have a Ruski billionaire or a Lansdowne as an owner ( or even a council that gives a shit ) so unless Power has something huge up his sleeve I dont see an 82er style reconstruction taking place anytime soon
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: