Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A roof for the Bank at last.  (Read 57036 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Saturday, February 7, 2015, 01:48:06 »

Probably just a front for Fracking - eh Reg

Ooh could be....the Tories have caved in to their vote, and ruled out fracking in the "nice" bits of the country, like National Parks, "Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty" and SSI's....which leaves around 60% of the rest of the country.

Swindon falls between the Downs and Cotswolds, so is happily in the fracking zone....the small SSI in Old Town, probably not making a difference, and the CG a prime location  Smiley
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Saturday, February 7, 2015, 08:56:04 »

I'm surprised at how sniffy half the posters here seem to be about this. It's not like there's a better plan on the table. Nothing has changed at the CG for 20 years, even under owners who were committed to ground redevelopment, which Power said he isn't. Given that the club support this, then you have to assume that the mysterious Oz sponsorship doesn't trump it.

I think it's brilliant that the fans' organisation is doing such meaningful stuff these days. If it costs the club nothing and they get to benefit from some added income, it gets my vote.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Saturday, February 7, 2015, 09:21:26 »

Sniffy...really?!

Lukewarm, maybe.  There's a little more nuance to the criticism than you're making out.
Maybe I'm just seeing things too simply.

The Stratton Bank is crap - we can all agree on that.

Ideally, it needs to be bulldozed and started again. At the very least, it needs a roof, which is what is happening.

People are saying that it is rarely used but when you are running a Football Club you have to have at least a modicum of optimism and courage and be a little bit proactive - a word we are not used to hearing in relation to STFC.

The way the Club is being run, there is a very realistic chance that we will be in the Championship in the next couple of years, which means it will get used a hell of a lot more.

The Club is doing what it can to improve the Ground within its financial constraints and yet people are not entirely happy. This confuses me (it's easily done to be fair) - maybe I'm missing something?
« Last Edit: Saturday, February 7, 2015, 09:25:09 by OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR » Logged
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Saturday, February 7, 2015, 09:26:38 »

Exactly.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sūr ą propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Saturday, February 7, 2015, 09:26:51 »

I'm surprised at how sniffy half the posters here seem to be about this. It's not like there's a better plan on the table. Nothing has changed at the CG for 20 years, even under owners who were committed to ground redevelopment, which Power said he isn't. Given that the club support this, then you have to assume that the mysterious Oz sponsorship doesn't trump it.

I think it's brilliant that the fans' organisation is doing such meaningful stuff these days. If it costs the club nothing and they get to benefit from some added income, it gets my vote.

Not true, we have new nets, and for a time we had those advertising boards which caused corneal flash burns.

Roaming the land while you sleep..
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Saturday, February 7, 2015, 09:31:30 »

Don't agree

The Police would love to park the away fans coaches directly behind the "Town end " if it was for away fans.
Makes a lot of sense from a policing point of view.
But as someone from an old forgotten era, that used to defend the Town End from away fans at all costs, I think we would sell our soul if we gave up the Town End.
Ah, but we did.  Cannot remember the exact date but sometime about 20 years or so ago away fans were given the Town End for a season!!  Caused a lot of hurt amongst regulars, some saying they would never come back to the CG!!  Don't know if they ever did, but you get the gist of it all!!!
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Saturday, February 7, 2015, 10:12:21 »

Ah, but we did.  Cannot remember the exact date but sometime about 20 years or so ago away fans were given the Town End for a season!!  Caused a lot of hurt amongst regulars, some saying they would never come back to the CG!!  Don't know if they ever did, but you get the gist of it all!!!

1998 I think

I come from a land down-under
kerry red

« Reply #97 on: Saturday, February 7, 2015, 10:13:54 »

Atmosphere was better when the majority of the TE migrated to the Intel.

The place is like a morgue nowadays
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Saturday, February 7, 2015, 10:21:52 »

Intel Stand, Block A...handily positioned next to the away fans on the Bank.  Had some good times there for a few years.
kerry red

« Reply #99 on: Saturday, February 7, 2015, 10:27:19 »

Had a mighty punch up with some insurgent Millwall fans in there in that League Cup game which featured that brilliant Fjortoft goal
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #100 on: Saturday, February 7, 2015, 10:45:00 »

I was half excited about this until I read this thread.

I fucking hate Town fans.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Saturday, February 7, 2015, 10:47:58 »

Yep.  Voicing legitimate concerns about ground redevelopment strategy should be kept well away from a football forum.
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: Saturday, February 7, 2015, 10:56:23 »

At the start of 90-91 the away fans had the Town End for a while, after it had been seated in the summer. I remember Middlesbrough having it in Sep 90.

ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: Saturday, February 7, 2015, 11:03:29 »

I remember that game, Boro fans in there - and not that many of them - making more noise than the home supporters!!  The natives were not happy about it!!!

OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: Saturday, February 7, 2015, 11:08:54 »

Yep.  Voicing legitimate concerns about ground redevelopment strategy should be kept well away from a football forum.
What concerns?Huh? They're just putting a roof on a stand. Bloody hell  Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: