Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Cambridge pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 67406 times)
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #300 on: Friday, December 27, 2019, 22:08:02 »

They did, fair and square. They beat us with some sublime shithousery if my memory serves me right.

I'm hoping we'd have wised up to it a tad since.
Theo Robinson kicked Baudry off the ball and should have been sent off. Broadbent then came on and looked like he’d never played football before. Plus Adam May started which basically has starting with 10 players so a lot has changed since then.
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: Friday, December 27, 2019, 22:52:54 »

While I'd love to win the league. 2nd or 3rd would do just to get out of this shit division.

But I think Wellens is aiming for top spot and so we should.
Play offs can fuck off
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: Saturday, December 28, 2019, 11:07:36 »

Must be a good 12 years since Town won on my Birthday and what win it was. Great to see that we can win 4 - 0 and still not even be at our very best.

8.5k att. is pretty fine for L2 (Div 4, Reg), considering when Brentford, Reading & Luton of the Championship (Div 2) only had around 11-12k. In L1(Div 3), The average on quick look worked out at around 8k. Only thanks to Portsmouth (18k), Ipswich (22k) and Sunderland (33k), who disappointed with a goalless draw v Bolton. Burton (c3.5k), Peterborough (c6.5k), Rochdale (c3k), Shrews (c7.5k) and Sarfend (c6k) all recorded less than Town. Blackpool and Rovers weren't many bums ahead either.

All in all, good numbers on the field, watching and on the table. Long may it continue. It's looking very good

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: Saturday, December 28, 2019, 11:37:19 »

Not sure why people are bemoaning the crowd size

Looking back at 11/12, and the crowd size is comparable to our home Christmas fixture that year (on 2nd Jan), of 8.3k at home to afc Wimbledon (who, and this is a complete guess, would have likely bought more fans than Cambridge did)

We only started tipping gates of 9k regularly from March onwards - by when we’d lost 1 in 12, and were 8 points clear with 12 games to go and, looking back, promotion all but wrapped up

Attendances have only been c.500 per game below where they were last time we were in this division - not ‘good’, by any means, but not terrible when you consider we’ve been a mediocre league two side for two seasons in a row, and last time we were 12 months off a league one play off final

We’re winning - that means people come back to watch the games and magically rediscover their ‘love’ of football again. You see it plenty enough on this forum

Things get better but they never get good
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: Saturday, December 28, 2019, 11:49:25 »

I noticed Reading V QPR was 12000 which isn't very good for a local championship game so 8200 really isn't bad considering there were very few Cambridge fans and not much of an attraction. Imagine if we had played Plymouth on Boxing Day the crowd would have been nearer to 12k or possibly more

So, give no fucks
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #305 on: Saturday, December 28, 2019, 12:04:56 »

8,211 isn't bad at all, last season home and away we were only watched by bigger crowds twice, once away at Lincoln 8,400(7,900 home fans) and the last home game of the season against Notts County (8,600) when they had 2,200+ away supporters.

The season before then home and away we were only watched by more fans in games away at Luton, Coventry and Lincoln again none of them broke 9k and in 1 home game, the game vs Luton when 8,526 turned up for the Boxing Day game, bolstered again by 2,000+ away fans.

Even the home game vs Oxford in 2017 in L1 the attendance was only 10,658 with 2,400 away fans in attendance meaning the home fan turn out was just 8,258 and on Boxing Day I would say there were about 200 Cambridge fans so the home turn out was 8,000. So pretty comparable home numbers to a game with Oxford!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #306 on: Saturday, December 28, 2019, 12:16:09 »

which is why, as a club, we need to get promoted to pick up the larger away support.

Be interesting to see what an average season in L1 would do to our attendances next year.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: Saturday, December 28, 2019, 12:32:43 »

I'm not going now! Smiley
No problem,  Chill's pumping up the tyres on the charabanc as we speak,  only need to check the locks and we're on our way.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #308 on: Saturday, December 28, 2019, 12:44:09 »

I agree we need to get promoted this season and hopefully the momentum will continue to take us forward putting another 1-1.5k on the average plus away support we may regularly get over 10000 depending on results

So, give no fucks
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #309 on: Saturday, December 28, 2019, 12:45:06 »

which is why, as a club, we need to get promoted to pick up the larger away support.

Be interesting to see what an average season in L1 would do to our attendances next year.

A while back there was an interesting stat, that for some reason we seem to get fewer travelling fans than most other clubs... I offered expense as a reason, to be told by some of the usual suspects, noooo. The price list to show it to be the case, we were most expensive, albeit not by much, seemingly not enough to open closed minds.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #310 on: Saturday, December 28, 2019, 12:59:34 »

In some cases the working man has been priced out of football - even at L2 level. £20 or £25 a ticket is bloody expensive.

Do a Bradford. STs work out at£6 per game. Never happen, though.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #311 on: Saturday, December 28, 2019, 13:03:00 »

In some cases the working man has been priced out of football - even at L2 level. £20 or £25 a ticket is bloody expensive.

Now that would be good,   fill the ground every week,  ain't gonna happen though.  (Unfortunately).

REDBUCK

« Reply #312 on: Saturday, December 28, 2019, 13:10:21 »

Now that would be good,   fill the ground every week,  ain't gonna happen though.  (Unfortunately).

You see i don't think this mythical 'we'll come if it's cheaper' crowd exists within the town
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #313 on: Saturday, December 28, 2019, 13:10:49 »

Even Sky is beyond many working mans budget,  not only that you need 3 or 4 subscriptions to various channels if you want to watch all premiership games.   Doesn't bother me,  I'll stick to EFL on quest,  it's the only league I need to see.

BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #314 on: Saturday, December 28, 2019, 13:14:14 »

I noticed Reading V QPR was 12000 which isn't very good for a local championship game so 8200 really isn't bad considering there were very few Cambridge fans and not much of an attraction. Imagine if we had played Plymouth on Boxing Day the crowd would have been nearer to 12k or possibly more

Yep also consider that it's only about 30 miles from QPR to Reading, and another " along the M4 fixture", so to speak - Cardiff v Millwall had c22k. Okay there was the Neil Harris effect at play but still, 10k more and an extra 120 mile (or 240 miles extra round trip) that was indeed a good turn out. Just shows how plastic those Reading lot are. Too rainy for the little petals?

Both sets of teams are mid table so similar motivation. Yes Reading holds about 25k to Cardiff's 32k? but still Reading half full, Cardiff 2/³rds full. Hang your heads, plastic Royals.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24   Go Up
Print
Jump to: