Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Cambridge pre match chat and matchday thread  (Read 66747 times)
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: Saturday, December 28, 2019, 13:14:51 »

You see i don't think this mythical 'we'll come if it's cheaper' crowd exists within the town

Agreed. Fitton tried bringing the ST prices right down a decade ago, and unfortunately the fans didn’t flock in to take up the offer.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: Saturday, December 28, 2019, 13:18:52 »

We haven't been near the dearest for years, so that's all bollocks. There probably is a newer one than this but I can't be too arsed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41482931
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: Saturday, December 28, 2019, 13:36:52 »

Agreed. Fitton tried bringing the ST prices right down a decade ago, and unfortunately the fans didn’t flock in to take up the offer.
It was a strange deal if I remember rightly though, we only got the discount once 6000 people purchased season tickets, the 6000 never happened though so neither did the full discount.
I imagine if we did what Bradford do and offered guaranteed £150 season tickets then we probably would end up with a decent uptake especially if the pay monthly option was still available. But to make it worthwhile and not make a loss we’d have to more than double the number of current season ticket holders which isn’t going to happen so the club are right with their approach.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: Saturday, December 28, 2019, 14:03:21 »

I vaguely remember Power saying 6000 was needed as a safeguard otherwise the prices weren't proiftable. Also the population of Bradford is around 350,000 so a much bigger catchment to appeal too

So, give no fucks
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: Saturday, December 28, 2019, 14:12:49 »

It was a strange deal if I remember rightly though, we only got the discount once 6000 people purchased season tickets, the 6000 never happened though so neither did the full discount.
I imagine if we did what Bradford do and offered guaranteed £150 season tickets then we probably would end up with a decent uptake especially if the pay monthly option was still available. But to make it worthwhile and not make a loss we’d have to more than double the number of current season ticket holders which isn’t going to happen so the club are right with their approach.

Lest we forget that the lower ST prices would hopefully be subsidised by buurrrger, Poiy an ot dog sales. But Redjed saw that one off didn’t he the cockwoble wankspanner.
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: Saturday, December 28, 2019, 14:22:27 »

We live in an age where most people with anything more than a passing interest in football are only really interested in top tier teams. We all know that. Very few give two boots about their local side.  I sometimes have to drag my kids to matches but I hope that they will eventually appreciate the merits of what the basement of league football can offer.

Promotion to league one is unlikely to boost attendances to significantly more than a 9k average. Yes, you may get some more 'worms' coming out of the woodwork.  However, it is unlikely that we will see an influx of punters who are prepared to get out and watch a product which differs substantially from what they see on MOTD.

Nothing to see here
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: Saturday, December 28, 2019, 14:46:42 »

Also most youngsters would rather commit to a £40+ per month iPhone or similar spread overnight a couple of years so free money is always going to be tight

So, give no fucks
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: Saturday, December 28, 2019, 17:00:39 »

which is why, as a club, we need to get promoted to pick up the larger away support.

Be interesting to see what an average season in L1 would do to our attendances next year.

Bring back the football special, that would boost away support.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: Saturday, December 28, 2019, 17:08:04 »

alright stattonati, what's the most consecutive games scored in in the EFL?

I can find top flight easily enough (12, or 15 if you count the run excluding games not available due to injury)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #324 on: Saturday, December 28, 2019, 17:14:22 »

alright stattonati, what's the most consecutive games scored in in the EFL?

I can find top flight easily enough (12, or 15 if you count the run excluding games not available due to injury)
Individual player consecutive scoring run in the EFL you mean? 10 by Eoin Doyle, nobody else has got close to that.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: Saturday, December 28, 2019, 17:15:47 »

Bring back the football special, that would boost away support.
Can’t remember my last Football Special. Wrexham, Carlisle maybe.

Was there one for that Mansfield game - the battle with Maggie’s boys n blue?
« Last Edit: Saturday, December 28, 2019, 17:18:01 by The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey » Logged
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #326 on: Saturday, December 28, 2019, 17:29:56 »

I went on the ones to Liverpool, Wrexham, Both Bristols several times, Carlisle, Burnley but the last one I went on were in 89 at Crystal Palace for the play offs semi final under Macari.

Pretty sure we havent had any more since then.

And no, there wasn't one for Mansfield, mostly because at the time Mansfield never had a railway station IIRC!

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: Saturday, December 28, 2019, 17:31:18 »

There was one to Everton for an FA Cup replay - absolute bastards those scousers that night.
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: Saturday, December 28, 2019, 17:32:27 »

The Wrexham one . . mm the less said the better.
Can remember going to Burnley, Pompey. The Stoke special was cancelled due to a train drivers strike but still an eventful trip.

Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: Saturday, December 28, 2019, 17:36:34 »

The Wrexham one . . mm the less said the better.
Can remember going to Burnley, Pompey. The Stoke special was cancelled due to a train drivers strike but still an eventful trip.

Aldershot away in the FA Cup and Swansea on Boxing Day at the Vetch both around 79. I also remember Liverpool away in the league cup when we got stuffed 5-0 and supporters who left stuff on the train had it stolen.
I heard many bad stories of Everton away in the replay 76/77

So, give no fucks
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24   Go Up
Print
Jump to: