Pages: 1 ... 1145 1146 1147 [1148] 1149 1150 1151 ... 1231   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Ex Swindon Town Player Where Are They Now Thread  (Read 4418667 times)
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #17205 on: Thursday, June 29, 2023, 18:25:12 »

Yep, we’ll be better just for having Flynn in charge.

Just remember if you exclude the games Lindsey & Morris were in charge for - we would have finished on 107 points.

Grin

And the architect of that potentially title winning season is now nowhere to be seen... On a Mission to Karachi perhaps...?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #17206 on: Thursday, June 29, 2023, 18:26:51 »

#justiceForMadGav

I liked him, but it was too soon to start talking manager. Especially after 2 rookie failures
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #17207 on: Thursday, June 29, 2023, 18:50:06 »

Has he actually officially gone or are we just continuing the theme of adding 2+2 and making -75980?
DMC

« Reply #17208 on: Thursday, June 29, 2023, 18:53:16 »

I still think it's not a very good squad- some OK players, but a poorly constructed squad of meh.  Lindsey probably got more points than performances deserved, Morris a little the other way around, both were poor as well.

The good starting point this season is we at least have our fringe and potential development players in place.  All we need are the five or six first team regulars we were missing last season, for the entire season, plus we potentially have a pragmatist in charge.
Whilst we do have some absolute shite loitering around i do think we have some good players that Flynn can get a tune from and with the 5 or 6 you mention it could be enough

Clayton
Hutton
Laviner
FBT
Wakeling
Austin

Just to name a few i honestly think would get into most league 2 teams and will be a better version of what we seen last year

Remains to be seen of course but i think those 6 are a good enough start if we build around them
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #17209 on: Thursday, June 29, 2023, 18:53:26 »

2+2 as nobody seems to have seen him in any photos
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #17210 on: Thursday, June 29, 2023, 18:57:33 »

Whilst we do have some absolute shite loitering around i do think we have some good players that Flynn can get a tune from and with the 5 or 6 you mention it could be enough

Clayton
Hutton
Laviner
FBT
Wakeling
Austin

Just to name a few i honestly think would get into most league 2 teams and will be a better version of what we seen last year

Remains to be seen of course but i think those 6 are a good enough start if we build around them

Agreed - it really is an easier recruitment challenge this pre-season.  Five or six players who are expected to be first team regulars right down the spine.  Easier because we don't need an army and shouldn't need to waste time on trialists.  First team regulars for a top of the table L2 team should be easy enough to identify - just a case of getting signatures (the less easy bit).  If anything it probably underlines why there is very little activity above the surface right now - no need to be scouting everywhere for talent.

I'd say Wakeling still shouldn't be relied upon as a starter, but you'd be OK giving him more game time in his second season than first (our issue was we used him like an experienced pro last season).
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #17211 on: Thursday, June 29, 2023, 21:10:16 »

I’d bucket FBT, Mceachran and Hutton as the only ones a side at the top of the league would take off us to strengthen themselves

Lavinier, Clayton, Austin, Khan, Wakeling & RHM (at a push) I’d put into a bucket of ‘could very well deliver / be lifted by a rising tide’ - but think they’d need pieces around them (which isn’t a criticism per se, but you can’t have too many of those in a starting XI)

The remainder are bench fillers at best. Not counting the keeper.

Things get better but they never get good
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #17212 on: Friday, June 30, 2023, 11:44:24 »

I still think there is a top league two player there in Cain and seeing as Flynn had him playing well at Newport, I'm hoping he can get the best out of him.

Most of last season we seemed to expect him to be a holding midfield player, which he certainly isn't. Williams departure might work out well for him.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #17213 on: Friday, June 30, 2023, 11:53:37 »

I'm not sure you can reach a measured judgement of any of last years players considering the managers they were playing under. As an example (and much as I dislike him) Howe has taken a group of players at Newcastle who looked fucking clueless under Bruce and got them into the CL.
DMC

« Reply #17214 on: Friday, June 30, 2023, 11:55:49 »

I still think there is a top league two player there in Cain and seeing as Flynn had him playing well at Newport, I'm hoping he can get the best out of him.

Most of last season we seemed to expect him to be a holding midfield player, which he certainly isn't. Williams departure might work out well for him.
We also expected a lad with 16 games to be our most experienced player for the second half of the season. We need a real experienced head in there this year as i think McEachran and Cain could really benefit from one
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #17215 on: Friday, June 30, 2023, 13:07:10 »

I'm not sure you can reach a measured judgement of any of last years players considering the managers they were playing under. As an example (and much as I dislike him) Howe has taken a group of players at Newcastle who looked fucking clueless under Bruce and got them into the CL.

Howe did get to buy Isak, Guimaraes, Trippier, Botman & Pope (plus some other squad players), but yeah, apart from that, what have the Roman Managers ever done for Newcastle.  In fact, Howe got to purchase the Premier League equivalent of what we need - five top class players for that level who walk in an make the first team better on day one, mostly up the spine.

So while I think the equivalence isn't perfect, it does show that the right recruitment in targeted areas can make a big change.  Just goes to show what a shit show last year was.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #17216 on: Friday, June 30, 2023, 16:28:27 »

We also expected a lad with 16 games to be our most experienced player for the second half of the season. We need a real experienced head in there this year as i think McEachran and Cain could really benefit from one

Same with Clayton at CB. The difference of him playing with and without Angus MacDonald was night and day.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #17217 on: Friday, June 30, 2023, 17:39:29 »

Lloyd Jones signs for Charlton?!

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #17218 on: Friday, June 30, 2023, 20:28:11 »

Dean Thornton GK coach moves to Southampton
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #17219 on: Saturday, July 1, 2023, 09:22:36 »

Matt Smith to Wigan

Thought they were under an umbongo
Pages: 1 ... 1145 1146 1147 [1148] 1149 1150 1151 ... 1231   Go Up