Pages: 1 ... 245 246 247 [248] 249 250 251 ... 1230   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Ex Swindon Town Player Where Are They Now Thread  (Read 4414208 times)
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #3705 on: Sunday, October 20, 2013, 20:21:34 »

Do we know if this competition generates much revenue? I know we have the odd bit of advertising, and Samsung pay the players wage for a year...surely ALL it is, is a publicity stunt as we've now had three players from this, which all put together has resulted in ONE appearance...not a moan, just wondering..

Roaming the land while you sleep..
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #3706 on: Sunday, October 20, 2013, 20:26:05 »

Jackson will never play a game for us anyway so it's pretty much irrelevant where he goes out on loan. Best of luck to him anyhow.

Whilst you are probably right, as Austin showed us you never know with strikers as the ability to find the net is more important than actually being a very good footballer. I mean how many levels below the Football League were Poole Town?

The lad Gayle that was at Peterborough last season having signed from Dagenham & Redbridge has gone from Conference South to Premiership in a couple of seasons.
Empathy Sloth

« Reply #3707 on: Sunday, October 20, 2013, 20:26:37 »

You get a risk free opportunity of unearthing a gem.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #3708 on: Sunday, October 20, 2013, 20:28:12 »

Not to mention Smalling at Man U who was playing for Maidstone a few years back.
DarloSTFC84

Twittah.. @DarloJAG84

Ignore
« Reply #3709 on: Sunday, October 20, 2013, 20:39:17 »

Whilst you are probably right, as Austin showed us you never know with strikers as the ability to find the net is more important than actually being a very good footballer. I mean how many levels below the Football League were Poole Town?

The lad Gayle that was at Peterborough last season having signed from Dagenham & Redbridge has gone from Conference South to Premiership in a couple of seasons.

Someone who knows where the back of the net is...that's vital, and it's no lie that the higher up the leagues you go, the better the service....admittedly the better the defences too...but if you don't try, you don't know...mind you, the management/coaches have seen him in training and obviously feel that League One is above him at the moment..

Roaming the land while you sleep..
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #3710 on: Sunday, October 20, 2013, 20:39:38 »

The difference with Austin, Gayle, Smalling et al is that they were all youngsters on the books of pro teams who dropped out of league football for various lengths of time - Smalling played 12 games at Maidstone, Austin played over 100 non-league games - before getting picked up.

Due to the sheer numbers of youngsters these academies have on their books for every age group, there is always going to be one or two who slip the net. It'd be nice to think the Samsung thing will unearth one of these but the odds really are minute.

I hope Jackson goes on to succeed at Supermarine's level, hopefully higher, but with Ranger, N'Guessan, Ajose, El Gabas and Storey on our books (not to mention Williams and Benson) it's going to be very unlikely he even makes the bench for us.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #3711 on: Sunday, October 20, 2013, 20:45:04 »

The difference with Austin, Gayle, Smalling et al is that they were all youngsters on the books of pro teams who dropped out of football for various lengths of time - Smalling played 12 games at Maidstone, Austin played over 100 non-league games - before getting picked up.

Due to the sheer numbers of youngsters these academies have on their books for every age group, there is always going to be one or two who slip the net. It'd be nice to think the Samsung thing will unearth one of these but the odds really are minute.

I hope Jackson goes on to succeed at Supermarine's level, hopefully higher, but with Ranger, N'Guessan, Ajose, El Gabas and Storey on our books (not to mention Williams and Benson) it's going to be very unlikely he even makes the bench for us.

Agree to a degreeSonic,depends if they actually get a run out and a chance when signed...many dont.
Remember Wilson only pitching in Austin as a last resort,seem to remember he wasn't that bothered if we even bought him or not.

But yes past experience at a pro club seems to give you the edge.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #3712 on: Sunday, October 20, 2013, 21:46:31 »

Ian Wright was another one some years ago, went from playing on Hackney Marshes to Palace at the age of 22.

But in fairness these are the exception, I think you are right that the coaches/scouts get it right most of the time & there are far more players that drop down into the non leagues that never come back.

Will be interesting to see what we would do if he went to a higher level than Supermarjne in loan & still scores goals.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #3713 on: Tuesday, October 22, 2013, 11:01:35 »

Dont know if its been posted but I've just noticed Alex Henshall signed on loan for Rovers at the end of last week.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #3714 on: Tuesday, October 22, 2013, 11:16:40 »

Page 245

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #3715 on: Tuesday, October 22, 2013, 12:18:03 »

The difference with Austin, Gayle, Smalling et al is that they were all youngsters on the books of pro teams who dropped out of league football for various lengths of time - Smalling played 12 games at Maidstone, Austin played over 100 non-league games - before getting picked up.

There's still always the odd success stories. Dave Kitson did alright for himself although he's now back playing for a non league side of course.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #3716 on: Tuesday, October 22, 2013, 18:27:25 »

Just spotted that Bertie Brayley and Nicky Nicolau are both turning out for Chelmsford this evening against Farnborough, just up the road from me.  In Brayley's case, he has played for 17 other clubs (as well as Chelmsford) since his 7 game spell with us in 2001/02.  I think the word is 'journeyman'.  He's still only 32.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
Re:
« Reply #3717 on: Tuesday, October 22, 2013, 18:34:50 »

Just spotted Martin Ling in the Legends. At least I think it was.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #3718 on: Tuesday, October 22, 2013, 18:37:24 »

Just spotted Martin Ling in the Legends. At least I think it was.
Hes being interviewed as we speak.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3719 on: Wednesday, October 23, 2013, 09:28:06 »

Alex Henshall on loan at Bristol Rovers.

Scored last night....Wovers still lost mind  Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 247 [248] 249 250 251 ... 1230   Go Up
Print
Jump to: