Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Was Ian Holloway really in the Town End today?  (Read 20354 times)
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: Monday, October 13, 2008, 14:29:17 »

Thats true sipie, but Evans, Wise and Sturrock all had to put up with bullshit from above, and that at least played a part in them leaving.  They may have left anyway but who knows?

At the moment I'd be fairly happy with having someone competent but likely to leave at the 1st opportunity. 

Its hardly ideal, obviously we want someone competent who is here for the long run, but at least we'd win some games and possibly not conceed 3 a game for 6 months
« Last Edit: Monday, October 13, 2008, 15:50:00 by Colin Todd » Logged
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #106 on: Monday, October 13, 2008, 15:34:54 »

Colin Todd - Gash.
Roy Evans - Meh.
Dennis Wise - Good, from the games we saw.
Paul Sturrock - Good.

Notice the common theme? They left shortly after arriving. Sturrock stuck it out the longest (or before getting sacked) and that is not very long at all.

Did we not get a hefty amount of compo from the managers who moved on to better things?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: Monday, October 13, 2008, 15:52:52 »

Without the success of Macari, would we have got Ardiles?

Without Ardiles, would we have got Hoddle?

Ok, it goes a bit tits up after that, but you get my drift. Big name managers will only be lured away if they're successful here. If they're successful here we stand a much better chance of attracting another big name. And so on..............

But all these posters who blithely say we should get this manager that manager, miss the basic point of who is to pay for them....you only have to go back 9 months to see the calibre of manager, the present Board wanted to attract....namely Mickey Adams, Martin Ling or Dave Hockaday as well as Malpas.

Now Adams had a bit of success, mainly at Brighton, but lasted 3 games at Swansea all defeats...Brighton haven't won at home this season....Orient are below us.

I replied to your post Hertab, because the Macari issue, was interesting.  The previous season we'd finished in our lowest ever position, had a bit of a cup run, but the then Board were happy with Beamish, as he was cheap, and they weren't prepared to fund a replacement themselves.

Bizarrely the insurers Lowndes Lambert, wanted to increase their profile locally, so were prepared to fund a name to become player/manager, this funding was only available, if Beamish went.

Unless some similar outside funding is forthcoming, I can see no reason why this Board will change from their previous policy...surely if the case it would have happened by now
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: Monday, October 13, 2008, 15:57:06 »

So, basically we arent going to be happy with whoever we get then.

We'll keeping getting Malpas's untill it goes right.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: Monday, October 13, 2008, 16:07:13 »

I have a terrible feeling that Fittton will stand by Malpas through thin and thin.......Off the pitch we can breathe a sigh of relief that we are'nt going down the shitpan but on the pitch we are shite and i cannot see it improving.

I reckon Fitton will hold a press conference with a T Shirt reading: DO'NT KNOCK THE JOCK!

Clems Army!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: Monday, October 13, 2008, 16:09:49 »

So, basically we arent going to be happy with whoever we get then.

We'll keeping getting Malpas's untill it goes right.

That's my interpretation of the situation...unless the Board want to do a Brady, Donegan or Diamandis, I don't see a name coming in.

The whole thrust of their position is not spending money we can't afford.

I suppose if it gets much worse they may have to act, and juggle the current staff, otherwise, I think we just have to be grateful and put up with it, or vote with feet.

Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #111 on: Monday, October 13, 2008, 16:57:48 »

Did we not get a hefty amount of compo from the managers who moved on to better things?

Diamandis did.
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: Monday, October 13, 2008, 17:56:58 »

Fitton and Co are all successful businessmen. Successful businessmen take risks, that's why they're successful.
Fitton won't let MM take us down, he's already invested a large wedge and the business plan doesn't include 4th Division football.
Sometimes you need to speculate to accumulate and AF will act if he feels there's no other option.

Just my take on it............

It's All Good..............
glos_robin

« Reply #113 on: Monday, October 13, 2008, 18:10:50 »

IIRC the last time we managed to string together more than one decent performance after another was under precisely that set-up. We played well when they were caretakers and with some fire in the belly that's been sadly lacking of late.

I would imagine that was as much due to the off the field shit unifying the players and making them work for eachother. Byrne and Williams are still coaches and performances would suggest they are doing a shit job, all Byrne seems useful for is shouting abuse at the players and setting himself up for a heart attack. There is no way they would unite the fans as they would just be seen as second choice to Malpas (which is what they are) and part of the same useless coaching set-up. I would be mightily pissed off if they got the job as would many others I'm sure....
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #114 on: Monday, October 13, 2008, 18:12:40 »

Good point about byrne, fitton did not appoint him 9mnths ago why would he now.
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: Monday, October 13, 2008, 18:20:14 »

Fitton and Co are all successful businessmen. Successful businessmen take risks, that's why they're successful.
Fitton won't let MM take us down, he's already invested a large wedge and the business plan doesn't include 4th Division football.
Sometimes you need to speculate to accumulate and AF will act if he feels there's no other option.

Football is a business unlike any other, as we know too well ourselves from the last 5 or 6 years.

The Sturrock and Wise packages were more than this club could afford, which is why Sturrock went 3 months without getting paid towards the end of his tenure. Wise's pay would be supplemented by receipts from crowds in excess of 10k, and when they weren't forthcoming he soon moved on.

I'd suggest Reg is right in that we will not be pushing the boat out for an established manager, but instead trying to do things a bit smarter. Look at Southend for example, ex player come good as a manager. Do we have anyone like that in our squad? The only one I'd take a chance on would be Jamie Vincent, but I have no idea how he is seen by the players so that could very well be a non-starter anyway.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: Monday, October 13, 2008, 18:28:33 »

Exactly. Fitton's a successful businessman. Looking at the current situation in a business rather than footballing sense: If, say, his catering manager wasn't managing their department properly and couldn't get their staff working for them in the right manner then he'd replace them with another catering manager who could. So the same goes for Malpas, he's the manager of the playing department and if he can't keep his own department in order then and get his staff doing what they should be doing then in a purely business sense, Fitton needs to appoint a new manager who can get that department working properly.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: Monday, October 13, 2008, 18:36:33 »

Not necessarily.  We are thinking about this as football fans.  Getting relegated, although fucking abysmal etc for us, had a very small impact on our revenue due to the slightly increased gates when doing well, and the FL TV money is not that much different.  So not playing well does not always equal a business risk.

I think if we'd shot through the 6k mark for Season tickets they might have been more inclined to take a financial risk.  I do tend to agree with Reg, if those who want shot of Malpas force the hand, I doubt I'd bet on us getting in a "name".
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #118 on: Monday, October 13, 2008, 18:36:37 »

I heart this thread! Hilarious

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: Monday, October 13, 2008, 18:37:14 »

Exactly. Fitton's a successful businessman. Looking at the current situation in a business rather than footballing sense: If, say, his catering manager wasn't managing their department properly and couldn't get their staff working for them in the right manner then he'd replace them with another catering manager who could. So the same goes for Malpas, he's the manager of the playing department and if he can't keep his own department in order then and get his staff doing what they should be doing then in a purely business sense, Fitton needs to appoint a new manager who can get that department working properly.

If the cost of getting rid of the catering manager was sizeable, because he/she was just a bit shit, and not poisoned anybody, and the cost of getting in a replacement had to be factored in, he might decide to send him/her on a course, to see if their performance could be improved.

He might decide, also that the staff were under performing due to a lack of skills, and they would benefit from some closely monitored performance management, and enhanced training.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: