Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Was Ian Holloway really in the Town End today?  (Read 20413 times)
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Monday, October 13, 2008, 18:41:17 »

Nah, he's not clever enough to think of the detail like that.
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #121 on: Monday, October 13, 2008, 18:43:19 »

Tbf rob if we did not have wise pre season it would of had a very negative effect.
Not necessarily.  We are thinking about this as football fans.  Getting relegated, although fucking abysmal etc for us, had a very small impact on our revenue due to the slightly increased gates when doing well, and the FL TV money is not that much different.  So not playing well does not always equal a business risk. I think if we'd shot through the 6k mark for Season tickets they might have been more inclined to take a financial risk.  I do tend to agree with Reg, if those who want shot of Malpas force the hand, I doubt I'd bet on us getting in a "name".
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Monday, October 13, 2008, 18:45:00 »

Nah, he's not clever enough to think of the detail like that.

One of Rikki Hunt's companies was a management training consultancy thing, he used to send McMahon on courses, and  naturally bill the club.  Mcmahon would come back and sack people.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Monday, October 13, 2008, 18:52:17 »

Would people take to Bodin as manager?

If we did sack the Malpas, Byrne, Williams trio he would be left as caretaker manager I would assume. I guess like any caretaker manager he would given a chance to get results....
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Monday, October 13, 2008, 19:09:28 »

Would people take to Bodin as manager?

If we did sack the Malpas, Byrne, Williams trio he would be left as caretaker manager I would assume. I guess like any caretaker manager he would given a chance to get results....

Zippy is an STFC hero, I like the idea of him being involved in the youth set up, but see nothing to suggest he's managerial material...caretaker maybe but no more.
STFC_Gazza

« Reply #125 on: Monday, October 13, 2008, 19:12:31 »

Zippy is an STFC hero, I like the idea of him being involved in the youth set up, but see nothing to suggest he's managerial material...caretaker maybe but no more.

Agree. I have made the point and whether its true or not. Lets think hypothetically.

If Colin Calderwood, Luc Nijholt, Steve White, Paul Bodin, etc if either were manager and we were in our current position, would the fans be turning on them? Perhaps a minority however most would give them the chance due to previous playing exploits at the club. I would like someone outside of the club to come in and stamp their authority down on things. Some will argue Malpas is in that category however he never managed in England and his backroom staff were all left overs of who was already here. 

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: Tuesday, October 14, 2008, 11:12:02 »

i dont think bodin would want the job
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: Tuesday, October 14, 2008, 11:32:26 »

Has Bodin got a personality?  Not from what I've seen when he watches the matches in the Arkells, he barely seems interested. 

Don't see why a former player should be afforded more time than a non ex-player.  MM has had a fair chance to stamp his authority on the team and it doesn't look like he has been able to take us forward. 

And the next manager should be afforded the same time, ex town player or not.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #128 on: Tuesday, October 14, 2008, 11:49:33 »

Diamandis did.

My point being that if we speculated on a name who left us in 12 months time we would get enough compo to pay for the next one!
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #129 on: Tuesday, October 14, 2008, 12:13:04 »

My point being that if we speculated on a name who left us in 12 months time we would get enough compo to pay for the next one!

Completely tongue in cheek, although I'm pretty sure that's where the money must have gone. Although saying that the club did received £100k from Leeds when they turned up at our place last year. Extra compensation because Wise left for Newcastle. Our owners weren't expecting it.

We only just went up from div 4 under Sturrock. That could have gone horribly wrong. Things went downhill before picking up at the end of last season when Sturrock left. Different managers have different ideas and this usually means spending more on players year on year as the team is restructured.

So aside from the new manager costs being offset by the compensation there are other thngs to consider.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Tuesday, October 14, 2008, 12:18:14 »

...and the fact that any left over compensation we might have from Sturrock (if it hasnt gone else where) will be used to pay off Malpas anyway.

Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Tuesday, October 14, 2008, 12:48:01 »

High profile managers don't always come at a high cost, Ince at Maccelsfield was on a low wage alright he didn't stay long, but he never would have anyway, but I think the point is there are ways around it you offer a basic wage with incentive bonus' built in and if that young manager is hungry enough to be a manager he will take it and build up his reputation as a manager, get a bit of sucess then he can go to the board and ask for an improved contract showing his sucess.

I don't think it matters who is appointed, if MM was having sucess here and was offered a job at a championship club or premier then I'm sure he wouldn't turn round and say no I'm staying where I am, most managers are ambitious to manage at the highest level they can.

Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #132 on: Tuesday, October 14, 2008, 12:58:01 »

That's my point though PtP, it doesn't matter who you get in as long as they're good. If one of the biggest name managers in the world took over, brought in some plaeyrs and we were still gash I'd be furious.

I do get the whole feel good factor/uniting the fans argument thing. It worked well with Wise and Sturrock (I think the fans were pulled in more by Wise, but Sturrock got the fans making a better atmosphere. Both united the team and the fans on the whole). Unfortunately for this reason, I think anyone but a big name manager or ex-player is going to leave a lot of the fans disappointed and doubtful, just as they were with Malpas, who was not given a chance by half of the fans (he's had a good chance now mind).
Reeves for King

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Tuesday, October 14, 2008, 22:59:24 »

I'll manage them in my spare time if you like cos I'm broke and need quick cash. Interim manager like

here's the man himself when you need him?
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: Monday, October 20, 2008, 10:28:03 »

Right

Call me a bullshiter if you want, but I'm not one to claim I know everything or to have loads of sources because I simply dont. I thought twice about posting this because the "i was told this by xxx" rumours do my head in.

But.... I know someone who knows someone (yeah I know!) who has worked for holloway in the past.  They are friends and I trust what I have been told, they have no reason to lie and have told me a few things in the past re: holloway that have turned out to be true.

STFC have spoken to holloway.

I dont know the details of what was said. I can only imagine that fitton is doing what you'd expect of a savvy businessman and putting the feelers out for a new manager, not just sitting on his arse hoping for the best.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: