Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 30   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Nile Ranger signs  (Read 101597 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #60 on: Friday, August 16, 2013, 17:06:28 »

This whole should we/shouldn't we sign him thing reminds me of the story of John Barnes at Liverpool that highlights how fickle fans are.

Before John Barnes signed for Liverpool a friend of his was sat in the stand at Liverpool and overheard 2 old blokes behind him saying "we don't want another black player in our team, we already had Howard Gayle and we don't need any more black players this is an all white team etc etc"

Every game the old blokes said exactly the same thing for the duration of John Barnes being linked to Liverpool.

Then after John Barnes had signed and had played a stormer in his first 3 games for Liverpool and scored a blinding free kick vs Oxford the old blokes were heard to say "that John Barnes....hes not as black as I thought!"

That goes to prove that if he performs on the pitch fickle football fans will soon enough take to him and not worry about how they felt about him prior to his signing.
« Last Edit: Friday, August 16, 2013, 17:39:27 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Friday, August 16, 2013, 17:09:51 »

I do feel this signing highlights why we need a proper manager, and not just a yes man...I don't think a proper manager would go anywhere near Ranger...
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Friday, August 16, 2013, 17:14:26 »

This whole should we/shouldn't we sign him thing reminds me of the story of John Barnes at Liverpool that highlights how fickle fans are.

Before John Barnes signed for Liverpool a friend of his was sat in the stand at Liverpool and overheard 2 old blokes behind him saying "we don't want another black player in our team, we already have Howard Gayle and we don't need any more black players this is an all white team etc etc"

Every game the old blokes said exactly the same thing for the duration of John Barnes being linked to Liverpool.

Then after John Barnes had signed and had played a stormer in his first 3 games for Liverpool and scored a blinding free kick vs Oxford the old blokes were heard to say "that John Barnes....hes not as black as I thought!"

That goes to prove that if he performs on the pitch fickle football fans will soon enough take to him and not worry about how they felt about him prior to his signing.
Sorry but that is a terrible analogy... Ranger has a string of criminal convictions, a rape charge hanging over him (and therefore STFC), shown himself to be homophobic, thinks he's too important to abide by his bail conditions etc etc.

Barnes was just black.
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Friday, August 16, 2013, 17:22:55 »

Sorry but that is a terrible analogy... Ranger has a string of criminal convictions, a rape charge hanging over him (and therefore STFC), shown himself to be homophobic, thinks he's too important to abide by his bail conditions etc etc.

Barnes was just black.

It's also not true. Howard Gayle left Liverpool in 1983 well before Barnes joined in 1987.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Friday, August 16, 2013, 17:29:51 »

herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Friday, August 16, 2013, 17:35:35 »

Ranger has a rape charge hanging over him (and therefore STFC)
What a fucking ludicrous statement. I can understand if people are unhappy with the signing, but the above has just used up all the bollocks quota for today.

It's All Good..............
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #66 on: Friday, August 16, 2013, 17:36:37 »

It's also not true. Howard Gayle left Liverpool in 1983 well before Barnes joined in 1987.
Sorry I put "have" instead of "had" my mistake thanks for pointing that mistake out I am forever in your debt.

Barnes was just black.
You missed my point which was nothing to do with being black...it is about fickle football fans.
« Last Edit: Friday, August 16, 2013, 17:38:40 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Friday, August 16, 2013, 17:52:52 »

What a fucking ludicrous statement. I can understand if people are unhappy with the signing, but the above has just used up all the bollocks quota for today.
How is it ludicrous? Ranger has been charged with rape and he's now an employee of STFC and until the court case is settled we have no idea whether he's at the club long term or not. That's the point I was making and not that STFC is somehow going to be punished alongside Ranger if found guilty.

You missed my point which was nothing to do with being black...it is about fickle football fans.
But disliking a player because of the colour of his skin is not fickle, it's just fucking stupid.

People, myself included, are judging Ranger on his behaviour and not his appearance. Except for the tattoo.

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Friday, August 16, 2013, 17:58:46 »

I think it's great we've signed him. Gives me chance to read more rants and rows on here. Love a good meltdown
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Friday, August 16, 2013, 18:05:49 »

I do feel this signing highlights why we need a proper manager, and not just a yes man...I don't think a proper manager would go anywhere near Ranger...

Spot on.

Cannot say i am happy with this one.

Not just because of his antics....more to the point is that we may as well not bother with a manager with these players coming in....let the board manage.
RWB Robin

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Friday, August 16, 2013, 18:06:47 »

Personally, I can't abide the holier-than-thou types - probably Guardian readers, too.

He is obviously a bell-end - but, hey, when did that ever stop someone from being a footballer.

If he is ever convicted of rape then he will be sent down - as he should be.

So who will stop watching Corrie cos of that other bell-end, Tommy, posting a video declaring he wants to rape a girl

I am glad to be associated with a club which will take a risk in giving someone another chance.  Most clubs would not do it, and have little concern for the welfare of their players...as long as they produce the goods on the field they're in, and as soon as something interferes with that, they are out.....  It IS a risk to take Ranger on.  He may well go to prison.  He may well kick the club in the face.  I hope he does not.  But Jed et al are to be congratulated for taking that risk (as was Nick Watkins with Luke McCormick).  And I am a Guardian reader.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #71 on: Friday, August 16, 2013, 18:08:10 »

99% of people do. Then you have the fucking nutcases like you who go in to an emotional meltdown every time someone utters a naughty word or a joke about somebody who is anything other than alive and positively kicking.
I'll bite on behalf of Ardiles who normally writes stuff that is interesting rather than some wanker who thinks they're a fucking smartass.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Friday, August 16, 2013, 18:10:27 »

I hope he gets STFC tattooed on the other side of his noggin.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Friday, August 16, 2013, 18:10:38 »

Shouldn't have gone anywhere near him. He's has plenty of chances. Family club my arse.

On the other hand we have potentially got a better play than we should have.

Bot happy with it, but there you go.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #74 on: Friday, August 16, 2013, 18:11:24 »

I am glad to be associated with a club which will take a risk in giving someone another chance.  Most clubs would not do it, and have little concern for the welfare of their players...as long as they produce the goods on the field they're in, and as soon as something interferes with that, they are out.....  It IS a risk to take Ranger on.  He may well go to prison.  He may well kick the club in the face.  I hope he does not.  But Jed et al are to be congratulated for taking that risk (as was Nick Watkins with Luke McCormick).  And I am a Guardian reader.
That's if you believe they are doing it to give him a second chance rather than get a player cheaply. Although I don't like or trust this Board, in this instance they are no better or worse than a lot of other opportunistic boards who will hide behind the second chance bollocks whereas in fact its more the "bargain" that is the driver.  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 30   Go Up
Print
Jump to: