Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Notts County Official Matchday Thread  (Read 26326 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #30 on: Friday, October 18, 2013, 11:03:03 »

Another win like this will do nicely tonight.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Friday, October 18, 2013, 12:55:48 »

Hmmmm
They do play the passing game but its not getting them anywhere
Hopefully they will play as Crewe did and not Tranmere  Bad Mood which should mean a win
Am gonna plump for 3 nil town only cos I like the word plump

Oh and 317 of them to make the journey with 8005 overall

Anyone know what the
I had a wheelbarrow, the wheel fell off
bollox is about ?
See it from county fans on my twatter feed
dave_bambers_right_sock

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Friday, October 18, 2013, 13:06:10 »

Anyone know what the  bollox is about ?
See it from county fans on my twitter feed

Google is your friend  Cheesy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wheelbarrow_song

There are many different stories about where the song started. Some believe it was when a groundsman was on the pitch at half time with a wheelbarrow. As he cut the corner of the pitch near the corner flag, the wheel fell off and he spoke to the County fans and a terrace chant was born, sang from one end of Meadow Lane to the other like a giant game of vocal ping pong. Another version is the song derived from an interview with Neil Warnock in the local press. Which Neil stated that 'When I first came to Notts County all I had was a wheelborrow...and the wheel fell off that' hence the song was born.

However, a more realistic version, believed by many supporters who were present at the game, is that it started at a match back on Tuesday 17 April 1990. Notts County were playing away at Shrewsbury Town's former home, Gay Meadow. The Magpies were trailing to two Dean Spink goals and looked to be losing, with less than ten minutes left. The Shrewsbury Supporters were happy and singing On Top of Old Smokey. But because of their strong accent, it sounded like "I had a wheel barrow, the wheel fell off," to the Notts County fans. The magpies fans then sung it back as a way of taking the mickey out of them.[1] This had an effect on the team who managed to pull back two goals in the last ten minutes to draw the game. The song then accompanied the Notts County team all the way and on into the following season, with another trip to Wembley Stadium and another victory, with 25,000 people singing it beneath the twin towers. It has remained a firm favourite at the world’s oldest football league club ever since
DMR

« Reply #33 on: Friday, October 18, 2013, 14:22:30 »

Are we on the box?
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Friday, October 18, 2013, 14:23:36 »

No. Not entirely sure what the reason behind the switch to Friday is.

2-0 to us tonight. Tidy.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
Empathy Sloth

« Reply #35 on: Friday, October 18, 2013, 14:23:57 »

Are we on the box?
No.
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Friday, October 18, 2013, 14:27:32 »

No. Not entirely sure what the reason behind the switch to Friday is.

2-0 to us tonight. Tidy.

So we get an extra day rest before Walsall.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
LucienSanchez

Is this hospital called St. Croc of Shit?!

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Friday, October 18, 2013, 14:39:08 »

Ta.

We made a promise we swore we'd always remember... no retreat, baby, no surrender
FormerlyPlymRed

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Friday, October 18, 2013, 15:13:17 »

Looking forward to this, love a game under the floodlights! Be interesting to see what the attendance is like compared to a normal Saturday game as there are many who cant make weekend games.

3-1 Town with Pritchard, Ranger and Ajose scoring.
SleafordRobin

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Friday, October 18, 2013, 15:18:54 »

Looking forward to this, love a game under the floodlights! Be interesting to see what the attendance is like compared to a normal Saturday game as there are many who cant make weekend games.

And unfortunately those who struggle with evening games, I hope the world commentary has improved!

2-0 Town!
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Friday, October 18, 2013, 15:30:18 »

The Opponent: Notts County

So its back under the lights at The County Ground this evening for a rare Friday night of football. I’m not really fussed with these experimental kick off’s. 3pm on a Saturday is where football belongs for me personally, but on the other hand some people work every Saturday and don’t get nearly as many chances to see us play as what I may, so I guess it works well for them.  Either way I am looking forward to it like I do every game and after an impressive show put on in South Yorkshire last week, hopes must be high for another 3 points. If other results go our way today we could well find ourselves in the play off positions, early days yes, but encouraging none the less.

Notts County are the oldest professional league football club in the world formed in 1862. They even outdate the Football Association itself and were one of the founding members of the Football League some 26 years later. According to legend, The Italian football club Juventus derived its famous black-and-white striped kits from Notts County. Juventus have played in black and white striped shirts, with white shorts, sometimes black shorts since 1903. Originally, they played in pink shirts with a black tie, which only occurred due to the wrong shirts being sent to them, the father of one of the players made the earliest shirts, but continual washing faded the colour so much that in 1903 the club sought to replace them. Juventus asked one of their team members, Englishman John Savage, if he had any contacts in England who could supply new shirts in a colour that would better withstand the elements. He had a friend who lived in Nottingham, who being a Notts County supporter, shipped out the black and white striped shirts to Turin!

The Last Time We Met– Not too long ago back in March, The Magpies visited the County Ground and played out a 0-0 draw, which just about summed up the second half of our season quite nicely. Nearly 8’500 that day!

They have served us both –  Matt Ritchie, Alan Sheehan, Steve Mildenhall, Phil King, Herbert Chapman (For Reg), Phil King, Paul Ince, Jake Jervis, and er, Paul Hart.

Where the opposition gather –  Its rather morgue like.

http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=402&fid=17&sty=2&act=1&mid=2112031208

Notts County Last 6 – LLLLLW (Currently 22nd on 7 points)

The Odds – Swindon 4/6  Draw 3/1  Notts County 19/4 Again, quite big odds on the away side but our home form has been nothing short of brilliant so far this season which justifies the bookies prices.  I had a 35/1 winner on the England game a few nights back and I today I think Nile Ranger for the first goal is good value at 5/1 with Bet 365.

The Son Says –  I don’t think there have been many games where he even predicts the opposition to score and today is no different, 3-0 home win.

The Prediction – I think we are capable of dishing out another spanking today. With respect to County, the league position they find themselves in would suggest they are there for the taking. 4-0, goals from Nile Ranger (2), Darren Ward and a late Ajose wonder strike, in front of 7’885 (288 from Nottingham).

And Finally – Nottingham is the birthplace of both Boots the Chemists and Raleigh Cycles, and bacon buttie favourite, HP sauce was invented here by grocer F.C. Garton. Boots is even older than Notts County, as John Boot set up the business in 1849. Raleigh is a relative youngster, formed in 1887. And HP Sauce a mere stripling, the name registered in 1895 (HP denoting Houses of Parliament where Garton heard his delicacy was served).

COYR COYR COYR

No 'what they're saying'? Or are they not saying much?
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Friday, October 18, 2013, 16:16:59 »

We always seem to make heavy going of getting the early goal against weaker opposition, so I'm a little nervous about this one.
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Friday, October 18, 2013, 17:32:50 »

Come up for this one with the lad as it's not a school night. Looking forward to it so hoping for a good win but always feel haunted by the ghost of Tommy Johnson when it come to County.
kerry red

« Reply #43 on: Friday, October 18, 2013, 17:43:14 »

N'Guessing in for Ajose the only change from Rotherham
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Friday, October 18, 2013, 17:44:53 »

This is the one where mason plays 60 minutes, scores one and gets an assist.  N'Guessan comes on for him and Pritchard moves into the middle.  Shortly after Louis Thompson comes on for Luongo before Byrne comes on for ranger with N'Guessan going central and scoring the last of five good town goals.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: