Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Notts County Official Matchday Thread  (Read 26206 times)
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« on: Thursday, October 17, 2013, 23:02:28 »

The Opponent: Notts County

So its back under the lights at The County Ground this evening for a rare Friday night of football. I’m not really fussed with these experimental kick off’s. 3pm on a Saturday is where football belongs for me personally, but on the other hand some people work every Saturday and don’t get nearly as many chances to see us play as what I may, so I guess it works well for them.  Either way I am looking forward to it like I do every game and after an impressive show put on in South Yorkshire last week, hopes must be high for another 3 points. If other results go our way today we could well find ourselves in the play off positions, early days yes, but encouraging none the less.

Notts County are the oldest professional league football club in the world formed in 1862. They even outdate the Football Association itself and were one of the founding members of the Football League some 26 years later. According to legend, The Italian football club Juventus derived its famous black-and-white striped kits from Notts County. Juventus have played in black and white striped shirts, with white shorts, sometimes black shorts since 1903. Originally, they played in pink shirts with a black tie, which only occurred due to the wrong shirts being sent to them, the father of one of the players made the earliest shirts, but continual washing faded the colour so much that in 1903 the club sought to replace them. Juventus asked one of their team members, Englishman John Savage, if he had any contacts in England who could supply new shirts in a colour that would better withstand the elements. He had a friend who lived in Nottingham, who being a Notts County supporter, shipped out the black and white striped shirts to Turin!

The Last Time We Met– Not too long ago back in March, The Magpies visited the County Ground and played out a 0-0 draw, which just about summed up the second half of our season quite nicely. Nearly 8’500 that day!

They have served us both –  Matt Ritchie, Alan Sheehan, Steve Mildenhall, Phil King, Herbert Chapman (For Reg), Phil King, Paul Ince, Jake Jervis, and er, Paul Hart.

Where the opposition gather –  Its rather morgue like.

http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=402&fid=17&sty=2&act=1&mid=2112031208

Notts County Last 6 – LLLLLW (Currently 22nd on 7 points)

The Odds – Swindon 4/6  Draw 3/1  Notts County 19/4 Again, quite big odds on the away side but our home form has been nothing short of brilliant so far this season which justifies the bookies prices.  I had a 35/1 winner on the England game a few nights back and I today I think Nile Ranger for the first goal is good value at 5/1 with Bet 365.

The Son Says –  I don’t think there have been many games where he even predicts the opposition to score and today is no different, 3-0 home win.

The Prediction – I think we are capable of dishing out another spanking today. With respect to County, the league position they find themselves in would suggest they are there for the taking. 4-0, goals from Nile Ranger (2), Darren Ward and a late Ajose wonder strike, in front of 7’885 (288 from Nottingham).

And Finally – Nottingham is the birthplace of both Boots the Chemists and Raleigh Cycles, and bacon buttie favourite, HP sauce was invented here by grocer F.C. Garton. Boots is even older than Notts County, as John Boot set up the business in 1849. Raleigh is a relative youngster, formed in 1887. And HP Sauce a mere stripling, the name registered in 1895 (HP denoting Houses of Parliament where Garton heard his delicacy was served).

COYR COYR COYR
walcot red

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, October 18, 2013, 04:57:22 »

I think we'll win this 2-0
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, October 18, 2013, 05:01:27 »

Herbert Chapman played for us? The Herbert Chapman?

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
kerry red

« Reply #3 on: Friday, October 18, 2013, 05:36:10 »

And 2 Phil Kings!!!

Cheesy

Wont be as easy as some think tonight.Teams that have won after a succession of defeats usually go on to perform well for a bit.

Dont be suprised if it's a draw

Saying that - 5-0
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, October 18, 2013, 06:18:13 »

Herbert Chapman played for us? The Herbert Chapman?

A guest player during the 1st World War I think

/reg

Things get better but they never get good
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, October 18, 2013, 06:22:19 »

If mason starts we'll tear them a new one, if he doesn't it'll be kept to 3-0.  N'Guessan to score last goal of the game.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, October 18, 2013, 06:31:15 »

A guest player during the 1st World War I think

/reg

Noooo Herb played for Town a decade before WWI.

He was nomadic during his playing career and played no more than a few games for us.
BruceChatwin

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, October 18, 2013, 07:02:48 »

Apparently Notts play open, passing football at the moment, so hopefully they won't come and stick 11 men behind the ball.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, October 18, 2013, 07:18:12 »

I can't find my season ticket, which is a bit shit. Can you get replacements?

slinky

i'm lovin' it

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Friday, October 18, 2013, 07:22:13 »

I've got a good feeling about this!  2-1 Swindon COYR
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Friday, October 18, 2013, 08:13:35 »

Not sure how they do it now but always used to be it was about £15-20 for a replacement. If it's on a matchday, get there early, explain the situation, buy a match ticket, then they used to refund the match ticket when they sorted out the replacement. Best ring the ticket office.

EDIT: So actually I have no useful advice to offer other than "Ring the club" and then a bunch of half-remembered anecdote. Arse.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, October 18, 2013, 08:18:32 »

All this is well and good, but what about the important stuff? Can you have a fag outside the TE at half time yet?
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, October 18, 2013, 08:36:52 »

2-0  victory tonight.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #13 on: Friday, October 18, 2013, 08:38:46 »

£15 for a replacement.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, October 18, 2013, 08:48:28 »

Ah, that's not too bad. I'll gladly pay £15 for my own incompetence. Thanks men

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: