Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Oxford - past and present  (Read 31764 times)
jimmy_onions

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Friday, July 15, 2011, 08:26:28 »

If the laddie who wrote 'never forget we took the town end, they have to live with that' is over, say,  25....that really is pretty sad.

its one thing old boys exchanging stories about the old days (no probs with that), but to put it in a manner that suggests its one of the most important things that has happened in your life, well (echoing what janaage said) your life must be pretty empty.
« Last Edit: Friday, July 15, 2011, 08:41:23 by jimmy_onions » Logged
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Friday, July 15, 2011, 08:46:40 »

Have to say I'm quite concerned for them.  God forbid, what happens if (whisper it quietly) we actually beat them on Aug 21st?  A large number of them have worked themselves up in to such a tizzy over this that I'm predicting

(a) a mass spontaneous combustion on the Stratton Bank at full time; followed by
(b) Samurai-style suicides across the Blackbird Leys, Cowley and Barton estates in the following days.
jimmy_onions

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Friday, July 15, 2011, 08:51:49 »

Ardiles - I didn't think this thread was for you? Welcome back - you just cant help yourself can you ;-)
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Friday, July 15, 2011, 08:52:27 »

I succumbed.

You win.
Thememoriesgone
Scummer

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Friday, July 15, 2011, 10:43:16 »

You completely contradict yourself there.

"Oxford get good attendances even when they are playing crap"

"In the conference we got 4,000" (Even though one league higher you get 7,000)

Actually we averaged 6,600 and had 11,000 against Woking (less than a hundred away fans)
As previously posted the 4,000 was the away following at Weymouth.
Im not interested in "my dads bigger than your dad" posts,i was just replying to the original post of Why Swindon is better
than Oxford and i was posting a counter view.
What does make me laugh is people on here slagging off the Kassam for having only 3 stands,my opinion, id rather have 3 good stands than 1 good stand,1 40 year old stand that looks its age, 1 stand with seats bolted onto shallow terracing and a crap view(this your own fans opinion)and a pylon coming through the roof and 1 open end that should have been condemned years ago.
How many times will the Stratton bank be open this season,once or twice? so while having a fence behind one end is i admit pathetic,seeing a totally empty end isnt much better.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Friday, July 15, 2011, 10:48:29 »

Actually we averaged 6,600 and had 11,000 against Woking (less than a hundred away fans)
Im not interested in "my dads bigger than your dad" posts,i was just replying to the original post of Why Swindon is better
What does make me laugh is people on here slagging off the Kassam for having only 3 stands,my opinion, id rather have 3 good stands than 1 good stand,1 40 year old stand that looks its age, 1 stand with seats bolted onto shallow terracing and a crap view(this your own fans opinion)and a pylon coming through the roof and 1 open end that should have been condemned years ago.
How many times will the Stratton bank be open this season,once or twice? so while having a fence behind one end is i admit pathetic,seeing a totally empty end isnt much better.

Each to their own but at least our ground has character.

You would be foolish to argue the same about the Kassam. At least Millwall managed to finish their ground which is basically the same as yours.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
ScillyRed

« Reply #96 on: Friday, July 15, 2011, 11:14:41 »

Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz Zzz
Huwwy

"The world is my lobster"

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: Friday, July 15, 2011, 11:19:47 »

Im not interested in "my dads bigger than your dad" posts

Just my ground is better than your ground posts then eh? Your ground is like an open air Lidl. Each Oxford fan I know admits that having 3 stands is an embarrassment and, I suspect, deep down you know it too.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Friday, July 15, 2011, 11:21:00 »

having a fence behind one end is i admit pathetic

Quite deep down in his actual post in fact...
Retep

« Reply #99 on: Friday, July 15, 2011, 11:32:11 »

Your average home attendance in all of your conference seasons was around 4,000. You can't say that you have good attendances when you are playing crap when the attendance difference in two leagues was 3,000.

I'd rather have the County Ground, with all it's character, than three soulless identical stands.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Friday, July 15, 2011, 11:39:37 »

'They can come out with their putdowns but at the end of the day they know our fans **have** more bollocks, this is what football is about and we have bossed Swindon since we first played them. Never forget we took the Town End.'

** I think "Talk" should replace this word.

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Friday, July 15, 2011, 11:47:50 »

I'll be in the minority here i think but i prefer the Kassam to our tired old ground.
The townend is a shit hole, the arkells is a pigeon shit stained eyesore,The stratton bank well it's a redundant old terrace with shitty saets bolted on.
The only stand of any note is the DRS which is ok. Sooner it gets redeveloped the better
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: Friday, July 15, 2011, 12:17:14 »

Conversely I'd much rather keep our tired old ground than build a Kassam stadium.

I realise that redevelopment will come and is needed. But I rather we did it right or not at all.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: Friday, July 15, 2011, 12:36:48 »

Precisely.  Oxford botched their redevelopment and are still paying the price.  The biggest mistake was the site which, admittedly, they had little choice over given the historical significance of Oxford.  The Kassam is built at the arse end of the city on a low grade plot of land that no-one else wanted.  Next to the sewerage plant.  It would kill me if we ever went down that route.

Agree with Arriba to an extent.  The County Ground is long overdue its overhaul.  (It was ripe for a rebuild at least 10 years ago, in my view.)  But that's one of the two aces in our pack...we still have this to look forward to and benefit from.  The other ace is that we already have the most important detail right: the location.  A mile or so from the centre of town, near lots of pubs, train station etc...just as it should be.
jimmy_onions

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: Friday, July 15, 2011, 14:23:29 »

What surprises me massivley, is that in football circles it's pretty well known that Swindon are in DIRE financial situation. With PAYE and VAT man problems likely to appear around November time.

Read more: http://yellowsforum.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=3017#ixzz1SBSR2YFs

...the latest from our yellow brethren...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: