Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Oxford - past and present  (Read 31502 times)
jimmy_onions

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 10:19:04 »

To prevent that other 'whats it like being a town fan' thread getting clogged up with pox gumpf, I have started a new one here, to allow all the oldies to have a good old reminisce about old times but mostly to allow all of us speculate about the forthcoming match, not to mention throwing a few digital coins at one another now and then for old times sake.

A few topics for consideration -

Swindon v pox on the pitch  - who really has had the upper hand (easy one to start with)?
Speculation and predictions on forthcoming match
Swindon v Pox pwopa nawty boys off the pitch - who really has had the upper hand in the last 30 year?
Who has the best fans, home and away?
best atmosphere?
Who has sold the most season tickets (titter titter)?
Are Pox really our biggest rivals?
Who hates them the most - come on, really let some of that bile flow...

and any other pox related drivel, just to build up the suspense and tension for the next few weeks...enjoy.

« Last Edit: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 12:14:32 by jimmy_onions » Logged
magicroundabout
Fanta Pants

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 10:20:34 »

i've always seen it as we beat them on the pitch they beat us off it.

Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 10:42:33 »

Sorry Jimmy...worst idea for a thread ever.

I'm out.
jimmy_onions

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 11:35:09 »

Yes, sorry, you're right. God forbid that anyone would want to talk about anything related to the first game in ten years against (what some might claim are) our fiercest rivals.

Silly me.
Jimmy Glass is an Alien

« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 11:39:54 »

As a young'un (or at least I like to think so!), I've only ever known the O*ford rivalry during my teens. I've always seen us as having an advantage over them on the pitch as results can backup. I've always wondered how the rivarly stemmed from as the Pox only joined the league in the 60's. Longer standing rivalries make more sense as historically we've played the likes of Rovers, City, Reading etc on a more regular basis. Who's to say (god forbid) that if we remain the bottom division that Cheltenham will become more of a rivalry?

It's early days yet, but I do fear that unless the team gels quickly the home derby may come round too quickly. Just hope I'm wrong. I'm looking forward to the games as I think we have missed some passion from the supporters in recent years.
Coca Fola

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 12:13:22 »

I'm too young to have been to a Pox game. So for me I consider the Bristol teams to be bigger rivals.
Summerof69

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 12:38:17 »

Pox fans have always been Hometown Heroes. I've only remember them coming down in any numbers once, back in '95. Otherwise they've bought a few hundred down to the CG, to watch the most one sided derby in English football. I was bought up in the late 80's/early 90's when we would give the Pox a three goal pasting. I still remember the game at the Manor in 1990 when we were    2-0 down after 5 mins, only to turn them over 4-2. Until the McMahon years, we had won more games at the Manor than they had, and their record at at CG is shocking.

The reason the rivalry against Wovers over the last few years is due to the fact we've played them more often than the Pox over the last 10 years, but it was noticeable in the thread when the fixtures came out, it was noticable that the games against Wovers wasn't mentioned once.

BAZINGA !!

Join the Red Army Fund and donate at www.redarmyfund.co.uk

Join the Football Supporters Federation for FREE at www.fsf.org.uk/join.php
townender row n

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 14:28:23 »

Swindon Vs Pox who's got the upper hand on the pitch? I would say us in the league, but they r still goin on about our defeat to them at their place in the FA Cup and still bragging rights about it.

Swindon Vs Pox off the pitch, No idea, I don't go for the trouble myself, but early 80's yeah I heard Pox were supposed to have taken the TE, but an hour,45 mins maybe 30 mins before kick off, all before the nawty boys got in, everyone knows the nawty lot don't get into the TE 15-20 mins before KO, or used too.

Best home or away support? I think all away supporters r the best cause u all stick together and not split up like home games with some prefering different parts of the ground.

Are the Pox our biggest rivals? Depends on who's in our league at the time, some say Pox, some say Reading, some say the Bristols and guess depends on where u live in Wiltshire or other areas, I remember at one point our biggest rivals when we was in league1/championship was Plymouth!!!!

Who hates the Pox the most? Hmmmm, Wycome, Reading and us I would say
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 14:51:51 »

Are the Pox our biggest rivals? Depends on who's in our league at the time, some say Pox, some say Reading, some say the Bristols and guess depends on where u live in Wiltshire

i don't think I have ever heard of Reading being described as our main rivals...ever. By a Swindon fan that is.
townender row n

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 14:55:25 »

Personally I don't include Reading myself, just that they ain't too far from here soapy tit wank
Crispy
Pink Jumper For Goalpost

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 16:52:58 »

Up until Banbury and Paddington they've always beat us off the pitch and we've done them on it. My old man used to go to every game from about '70-'90 so I've always been told Oxford are our biggest rivals due to the fact he grew up with it.

They've got muslamic rayguns, muslamic rayguns..
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 16:55:50 »

Up until Banbury and Paddington they've always beat us off the pitch and we've done them on it. My old man used to go to every game from about '70-'90 so I've always been told Oxford are our biggest rivals due to the fact he grew up with it.

How old were you the last time we played a league game against O*ford?
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 17:03:21 »

I'd guess he can't have been much more than 6 or 7.

I've never seen us play oxford, i'm looking forward to it Cool I don't give a toss about all the outside the pitch nonsense, and anyone who does is embarrassing.

Things get better but they never get good
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 17:06:08 »

Yeah well my dad went to most games between 1970-2000 and he avoided all the 'trouble' because he's not that sort of guy.

He's from Chippenham and disliked Bristol City the most.

Reg, I was a young 19 the last time we played Oxford Wink
Fred Elliot
I REST MY FUCKING CASE

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, July 6, 2011, 17:10:09 »

I don't give a toss about all the outside the pitch nonsense, and anyone who does is embarrassing.

THIS
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: