Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v Oxford - past and present  (Read 31763 times)
Dave

« Reply #45 on: Friday, July 8, 2011, 07:11:31 »

Unfortunately, those who don't want violence are often the victims. Says a lot about how hard the hoolies are.

This whole notion of "honour amongst hooligans", "never touching shirters" etc is bollocks. When the hooligan is fired up any target will do. I wish it wasn't so, but it is.
oakleigh2010

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday, July 13, 2011, 11:41:31 »

Did anyone go to the STFC v Pox friendly played at Witney Town' ground in the 80s (?). I think we won 1-0.
melksham_exile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday, July 13, 2011, 14:18:35 »

Coming from Melksham and working around Bath and Bristol, I've always hated City the most. They have the most arrogant over exagerated outlook (like a mini Leeds) and I can't fucking stand them. After getting relegated the last time we were there, I really hope we get a result next month. Having said that, for the last 6-10 years the only other club we all sing about is Oxford and you can't deny there's an extra edge against them. When we last played them at the Manor and Robbo popped up with a cracking brace, it was one of the best away days ever. Oxford is undoubtedly the biggest, fiercest rivalry although I do think a lot of that is perpetuated by them feeling inferior and us rising to that.
Thememoriesgone
Scummer

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Thursday, July 14, 2011, 07:31:31 »

Well heres a view from the other end of the 420.
The teams,while Swindons success rate over Oxford cannot be denied,i would just point out that in the one and only time
that we had a successful side,we didnt play Swindon in about 7 years,(its hard to beat a team in the 4th tier of the football league when you are in the top tier).
But i would argue that in Oxfords short time in the league they have been FAR more successful than Swindon,3 years in the top flight to your 1,and the teams that Oxford have beaten.
Ive seen Oxford beat Man Utd 4 times,Arsenal twice and Chelsea more times than i can count(4-1 2-0 and 2-1 at Stamford bridge spring to mind).
Outside the ground,ive drunk in Swindon before every Oxford game since 77,commercial rd,old town,town centre almost everywhere and never hidden the fact that i/we were Oxford,dont remember Swindon ever drinking in Oxford city centre.

Number of fans,while Swindon have always been better supported when the team is playing well,i like to look at the numbers when the team are crap,i remember swindon in the 80s getting crowds of less then 2,000 when Oxford were getting crowds of over 3,000(we were also crap). Our support in the conference was magnificent,over 2,000 away at Kidderminster and 4,000 at Weymouth (it was august bank holiday weekend).
So ultimately in all aspects the 2 clubs are more similar tha most people will admit.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Thursday, July 14, 2011, 08:11:09 »

Outside the ground,ive drunk in Swindon before every Oxford game since 77,commercial rd,old town,town centre almost everywhere and never hidden the fact that i/we were Oxford,dont remember Swindon ever drinking in Oxford city centre.

Two points come to mind.

• Your ground is stuck out on Oxford's periphery, nearly 5 miles from the city centre.  (And prior to that, even the Manor Ground was a good 2 miles from the centre.)  You'd be as well going for a few beers in Abingdon before the game in terms of accessibility.  I did walk to the Manor Ground once after a few beers in town before the 5-3 defeat in the early 1990s...and it took ages!
  • From what I remember of my time living in Oxford, there were precious few Oxford fans in the centre before games either.  Oxford folk grumble persistently that the city centre is over-run with students - and they're right.  There's a real town/gown divide.  From my experience, most of the locals only go there when they really have to and usually give the place a wide berth.
bullethead

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Thursday, July 14, 2011, 08:21:02 »

It might be just me but is that something Oxford should be proud of? The fact that Oxford fans are able to drink in Swindon centre whilst Town fans supposedly can't in Oxford surely just means Swindon is a nicer more welcoming place whilst Oxford clearly has a greater % of knuckle dragging neanderthals making up it's population?
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #51 on: Thursday, July 14, 2011, 09:29:53 »

That and the fact that drinking in Oxford city centre before an Oxford game is akin a having a pint in Royal Wootten Bassett before a Swindon match.
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Thursday, July 14, 2011, 09:48:58 »

The teams,while Swindons success rate over Oxford cannot be denied,i would just point out that in the one and only time
that we had a successful side,we didnt play Swindon in about 7 years,(its hard to beat a team in the 4th tier of the football league when you are in the top tier).
But i would argue that in Oxfords short time in the league they have been FAR more successful than Swindon,3 years in the top flight to your 1,and the teams that Oxford have beaten.
Ive seen Oxford beat Man Utd 4 times,Arsenal twice and Chelsea more times than i can count(4-1 2-0 and 2-1 at Stamford bridge spring to mind).

Number of fans,while Swindon have always been better supported when the team is playing well,i like to look at the numbers when the team are crap,i remember swindon in the 80s getting crowds of less then 2,000 when Oxford were getting crowds of over 3,000(we were also crap). Our support in the conference was magnificent,over 2,000 away at Kidderminster and 4,000 at Weymouth (it was august bank holiday weekend).
So ultimately in all aspects the 2 clubs are more similar tha most people will admit.

You on a wind up? Remind me again why we haven't played you for the last 10 years?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #53 on: Thursday, July 14, 2011, 09:49:55 »

that would be less than the 6 fingers on one hand then Wink

Number of fans,while Swindon have always been better supported when the team is playing well,i like to look at the numbers when the team are crap,i remember swindon in the 80s getting crowds of less then 2,000 when Oxford were getting crowds of over 3,000(we were also crap).

We have only got crowds of under 2,000 for 3 league games since I started going to watch Swindon in 1975.
Home to Darlington 1,681
Home to Mansfield 1,941
Home to Peterborough 1,876

All in the same crap season in Div 4 in 1984 when we finished 15th, our lowest ever league position since the renationalisation of the divisions in 1958.
« Last Edit: Thursday, July 14, 2011, 09:52:25 by jjedmunds » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Huwwy

"The world is my lobster"

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Thursday, July 14, 2011, 10:49:56 »

Did anyone go to the STFC v Pox friendly played at Witney Town' ground in the 80s (?). I think we won 1-0.
I went to that game and the pre season friendly (someone's testimonial) at the Manor in 87. All those wannabe hoolies on the Oxford site and the fella saying Swindon have never drunk in Oxford must have stayed at home, been grounded by their mum, not born, or been on holiday for that one. We were with dozens of town fans drinking outside a pub less than half a mile from the ground. Didn't see or hear a thing from the Pox.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Thursday, July 14, 2011, 14:08:43 »

What is it with you deluded Pox.

As the saying goes "forever in our shadow" always will be....end of.

Retep

« Reply #56 on: Thursday, July 14, 2011, 19:25:38 »

You completely contradict yourself there.

"Oxford get good attendances even when they are playing crap"

"In the conference we got 4,000" (Even though one league higher you get 7,000)
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Thursday, July 14, 2011, 19:32:51 »

oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Thursday, July 14, 2011, 20:33:51 »

You completely contradict yourself there.

"Oxford get good attendances even when they are playing crap"

"In the conference we got 4,000" (Even though one league higher you get 7,000)

I know it doesn't seem believeable, but that's 4,000 at a Conference AWAY match. We took 4,000 to Weymouth, had over 50% of the support.
Shaw Rosso

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Thursday, July 14, 2011, 20:50:00 »

Another deluded inbred Roll Eyes

All this banter with our A420 shitheads is very stimulating.
There are many intelligent postings on here about the rivalry.
I think that I would like to lower the tone by mentioning what Northstand 12 referred to a little while back about Oxford being in the Cuckoo Lane.
Regardless of your views on life and football it was a very funny event. I don't think Swindon get it. I think we are more intense about this than them. It's not even a hooligan thing. Even normally law abiding Oxford fans become a bit mental for this one. Inevitably some will cross the line. Swindon fans are right, we are obsessed about this. It's tribal and both Swindon and the media are in for a shock. Everyone will come out for this one. This means more to us than them and their lack of passion is embarrassing for them. Bless them, they do try but they know they can’t compete and so they try and look smart. They can come out with their putdowns but at the end of the day they know our fans have more bollocks, this is what football is about and we have bossed Swindon since we first played them. Never forget we took the Town End. They must live with that.
But going back to the Cuckoo Lane story. Right in the middle of their support, right in the middle of all their songs and hatred for Oxford they shit their pants when Oxford made their presence felt. I don't care about whether this is pc or not, it happened, it was funny and it showed that Swindon will never match our intensity and passion. End of.

Cunt
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: