Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Oh the memories..  (Read 7647 times)
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 17:19:30 »

I had my first ever underage pint in the Ghost Train.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 18:46:38 »

I had my first ever underage pint in the Ghost Train.

No spirits?

What is that god forsaken industrial estate in Purton that a cyclist would have trouble getting into let alone a lorry......little car garage there over a diddy stream Hmmm
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 19:18:12 »

New Road?
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 19:31:29 »

Thats it!
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 19:35:28 »

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 20:16:12 »

Oooh, don't remember the Station Yard one at all! Remember the shop, PO and garage on the corner where the new houses are... The rest must predate me!  :-)
Don't remember Alan Chester in the Station Yard?  Was in there late one night when it got raided, several of us were out the back windows and down the sidings!!!  Used to be the shop by the printing works (where I worked for seven years!), then another just up the road that used to be owned by Viv Sutton - that'll stir a few memories for Reg and co - the original moonraker, predates Ray Howell.  Viv was also the village baker which was all done on the premises - still taste and smell those lardy cakes! Further on up was the post ofice. 
Compo

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 23:09:11 »

Oooh, don't remember the Station Yard one at all! Remember the shop, PO and garage on the corner where the new houses are... The rest must predate me!  :-)

ohh Ben Thompsons.....
Only Me

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Friday, August 10, 2012, 04:19:15 »

He's talking about The New Greyhound, Purton which was turned into flats circa 2008. So, unless you live in one of said flats, you must be talking about a different pub.
Ha ha. I thought he was talking about the one in town Roll Eyes
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: Friday, August 10, 2012, 08:00:39 »

ohh Ben Thompsons.....
Uhh, Purton that one I believe!!  We're talking Minety at the mo!!
Compo

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Friday, August 10, 2012, 10:19:45 »

Doh.. i do remember the garage in Minety though, on the crossroads. My nan lived in Silver St, many moons ago.
Forza_Swindon

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: Monday, August 13, 2012, 09:35:02 »

Don't remember Alan Chester in the Station Yard?  Was in there late one night when it got raided, several of us were out the back windows and down the sidings!!!  Used to be the shop by the printing works (where I worked for seven years!), then another just up the road that used to be owned by Viv Sutton - that'll stir a few memories for Reg and co - the original moonraker, predates Ray Howell.  Viv was also the village baker which was all done on the premises - still taste and smell those lardy cakes! Further on up was the post ofice. 

Cor blimey, I think that is before my time then - definitely don't remember a village baker! Although if there was one I might have been too young to register that info...
Know where the printing works used to be though, and I do remember the shop, PO and garage on the corner... And of course the two existing pubs.
Very sad that most of the services have disappeared, the village just seems a bit soulless every time I visit my folks!
DMR

« Reply #71 on: Monday, August 13, 2012, 09:55:12 »

For me the main purpose of going to a pub, has always been to meet people, get a bit of banter going and generally put the world to rights...

It still continues to be the case...

It does though seem to be a bit of a generational thing....aside from the Vic, young people who use a pub in a traditiomnal way seem to have gone...I would imagine it's highly likely there'll be very few boozers left in Swindon by say 2020.

Not everyone is a crusty old cunt seeking fellow crusty old cunts to have a chinwag with Reginald, some of us young pups just want a few sherberts Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: