Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Oh the memories..  (Read 7708 times)
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday, August 8, 2012, 21:07:04 »

I still drink in there, since 1981

He's talking about The New Greyhound, Purton which was turned into flats circa 2008. So, unless you live in one of said flats, you must be talking about a different pub.
Forza_Swindon

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 08:46:52 »

Next door to Purton, Minety now down to two pubs from four - used to have four shops as well, none now!!

Does that include Upper Minety?  I grew up in (Lower) Minety and only remember 2 pubs, a shop and a Post Office... Might have been before my time though!  ;-)
Shocking that there isn't even a shop there now, it's a real ball-ache just to "pop out" and get a paper/pint of milk etc. now!
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 08:57:31 »

Calne has lost quite a few pubs over the years, but still retains some wonderful hostelries.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 09:22:03 »

Does that include Upper Minety?  I grew up in (Lower) Minety and only remember 2 pubs, a shop and a Post Office... Might have been before my time though!  ;-)
Shocking that there isn't even a shop there now, it's a real ball-ache just to "pop out" and get a paper/pint of milk etc. now!
Yeah, Upper and Lower Minety (or Silver Street as some call it!).  Used to be the Old Inn in Upper Minety, the White Horse, the old Red Lion (Station Yard) and the New Red Lion (now called the Turnpike).  As for shops there was the one in Upper Minety, and three in Lower Minety - which includes the post office.  Also three garages, two are built on and one is a double glazing concern now!
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 09:23:37 »

He's talking about The New Greyhound, Purton which was turned into flats circa 2008. So, unless you live in one of said flats, you must be talking about a different pub.
Correct, the two pubs left now are the Royal George (which has been shut at various times) and the Angel.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 09:53:48 »

Plus the working men's club and the Red House. Although I suppose they're technically not pubs, but they are drinking establishments.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 10:16:33 »

There's a petition here worth signing.  When the government stops thinking of pub locals as cash cows, the trade will stand a better chance of survival.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/29664
walcot red

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 10:50:13 »

There's a petition here worth signing.  When the government stops thinking of pub locals as cash cows, the trade will stand a better chance of survival.

The same could be said about the motorist though, would be interesting if they dropped the fuel duty by about 10p would we see the economy pick up?
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 11:02:56 »

That would give me about an extra £20 a month, which I could then spend on beer  Smiley
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 11:17:33 »

The same could be said about the motorist though, would be interesting if they dropped the fuel duty by about 10p would we see the economy pick up?

Food prices would probably come down as it would cost less to fill the lorries up.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Paolo69

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 12:54:41 »

Good work fella. Have been meaning to whack that up on here for a while now. Get signing people. If you don't sign then you can't moan about the price (or something like that)
walcot red

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 13:02:22 »

Is there one about fuel duty on there?
Forza_Swindon

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 14:35:20 »

Yeah, Upper and Lower Minety (or Silver Street as some call it!).  Used to be the Old Inn in Upper Minety, the White Horse, the old Red Lion (Station Yard) and the New Red Lion (now called the Turnpike).  As for shops there was the one in Upper Minety, and three in Lower Minety - which includes the post office.  Also three garages, two are built on and one is a double glazing concern now!

Oooh, don't remember the Station Yard one at all! Remember the shop, PO and garage on the corner where the new houses are... The rest must predate me!  :-)
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 16:49:49 »

Didn't Purton have the Ghost train?

Clems Army!
Compo

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Thursday, August 9, 2012, 17:04:20 »

It did indeed, great old pub.

Again, sadly no more, just more flats.

http://www.mouseprice.com/property-for-rent/ref-10758558/ghost+train+purton+wiltshire
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: