Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Oh the memories..  (Read 7707 times)
Compo

Ignore
« on: Wednesday, August 8, 2012, 09:50:28 »

http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/wiltshire/swindon.html
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, August 8, 2012, 10:01:03 »

I know this is a touchy subject.  Pubs close for a variety of reasons, including the exorbitant duties now levied on a pint of beer.  But the main reason most pubs shut is that they're rubbish...as a lot of names on that list prove.  If you don't provide something that people want, you'll go to the wall.
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, August 8, 2012, 10:07:11 »

Very true.

Take the Beehive as an example. A small pub, tucked away, beer is probably more expensive than anywhere else in the world, but it's always packed whenever I venture in there, so they're doing something right.
Flashheart

« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, August 8, 2012, 10:13:45 »

I've only ever been in two of those (although some may have opened after I left)
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, August 8, 2012, 11:26:52 »

The Whitehouse got smashed to fuck by Bmuff during a kick up in e 80s.

Clems Army!
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, August 8, 2012, 11:36:30 »

Easy to forget the new bars and pubs that open. I make it four or five in Old Town alone over the last 20 years, with a number of others being substantially refurbished. Probably even more than that down the bottom of town.

The real problem is that it's cheaper and easier to stay at home and have a night in. There wasn't as much to do 20 years ago; only a few TV channels, games consoles were shit, takeaway food wasn't as popular and supermarkets weren't practically giving away beer.
jutty274

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, August 8, 2012, 12:50:34 »

How long has the Greyhound been shut for, i went past the other day & it didn't look shut. I wonder if they meant the ship opposite.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, August 8, 2012, 12:53:17 »

How long has the Greyhound been shut for, i went past the other day & it didn't look shut. I wonder if they meant the ship opposite.

The Ship is Bar 12 isn't it?
blah blah

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, August 8, 2012, 12:56:32 »

anyone know anything about the Park Hotel on William street ? My nan used to live on that road, I cant say I ever remember seeing a pub or hotel there. Certainly not at the Kingshill end
jutty274

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, August 8, 2012, 12:57:12 »

It is now.
DMR

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, August 8, 2012, 12:59:35 »

The Greyhound is still going
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, August 8, 2012, 13:03:25 »

What's the Rolleston like? Always wondered (as I drive by).
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, August 8, 2012, 13:15:46 »

Easy to forget the new bars and pubs that open. I make it four or five in Old Town alone over the last 20 years, with a number of others being substantially refurbished. Probably even more than that down the bottom of town.

The real problem is that it's cheaper and easier to stay at home and have a night in. There wasn't as much to do 20 years ago; only a few TV channels, games consoles were shit, takeaway food wasn't as popular and supermarkets weren't practically giving away beer.

For me the main purpose of going to a pub, has always been to meet people, get a bit of banter going and generally put the world to rights...

It still continues to be the case...

It does though seem to be a bit of a generational thing....aside from the Vic, young people who use a pub in a traditiomnal way seem to have gone...I would imagine it's highly likely there'll be very few boozers left in Swindon by say 2020.
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, August 8, 2012, 13:21:29 »

What's the Rolleston like? Always wondered (as I drive by).
Rolleston is ok, especially for a lunchtime drink or snack.  I do remember the Park Hotel, on the corner of Cambria Bridge Road (?), the Cross Keys is now called Baker Street - or was!!  The Whitehouse was sold in a very expensive property deal and is now that block of flats on the corner - I do believe the lady that sold it has now bought the Morris Street Club in Rodbourne.
walcot red

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, August 8, 2012, 13:34:26 »

Isn't the Litten Tree now called Big Fish or Groove?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: