Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Emile Heskey is the new black  (Read 7932 times)
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Monday, September 3, 2007, 17:51:14 »

Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"
Quote from: "Crozzer"
Quote from: "neville w"
Quote from: "herthab"
McClaren, genius or disaster,.....discuss.

He's a fuckwit.

End of.

I was impressed with your essay.  The sentence is grammatically correct, and involves no ambiguity.  The use of words is economical, no syllable is wasted.  You make a logical and forceful argument, with limited opportunity for rebuttal.  Nice use of the present tense, clearly implying that the situation is here and now.  You are awarded 100%, for excellent content and appropriate use of the English language.

I'd argue that  "End of. " , as a sentence, is not grammatically correct.

Technically, I would agree but, some license is appropriate.  The author could have stated "This is the end of the argument".  However common usage of "End of" captures that meaning, but with greater finality.   On the one hand, technically it is not grammatically correct, but on the other hand there is efficiency in use of words, without loss in meaning.  A very precise and thorough critique of McClaren has been made.  Full credit should be given for both style and content.

Yeah but license is American.....licence is English, so undermines credibility as an arbiter of the English language.......and Heskey is shit.

I apologise for my error, but "licence" is chiefly British but not exclusively.  So I don't think that the criticism is as clear cut as presented.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Monday, September 3, 2007, 18:33:00 »

Anyone who thinks Heskey is good is deluded in my opinion. I see we have called up some Everton bloke i have never even heard of before. Our sqaud just gets better and better  :-))(
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Monday, September 3, 2007, 19:00:49 »

Its not a case of Heskey being good (not that he's not good) but being different.

All our strikers are the same and we've struggled to score goals.

Plus most european teams hate playing against a physical side

...and...if you've never heard of big Jo Lescott you need to pay more attention. He's been talked about for years as one day becoming an England international.

Would have been sooner if he didnt miss all of Wolves premiership season injured.
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Monday, September 3, 2007, 19:22:28 »

Quote from: "Rich"
Anyone who thinks Heskey is good is deluded in my opinion. I see we have called up some Everton bloke i have never even heard of before. Our sqaud just gets better and better  :-))(

Who's that, Lucas?
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Monday, September 3, 2007, 19:35:30 »

Quote from: "DV"
Its not a case of Heskey being good (not that he's not good) but being different.

All our strikers are the same and we've struggled to score goals.

Plus most european teams hate playing against a physical side

...and...if you've never heard of big Jo Lescott you need to pay more attention. He's been talked about for years as one day becoming an England international.

Would have been sooner if he didnt miss all of Wolves premiership season injured.

True. I don't watch much Prem football anymore tbh. I have heard he has been playing well recently. I'm just not really a fan of the likes of Shorey and Heskey. I mean this is the national team we are talking about here. Having said that Lampard and Gerrard are shite enough anyway.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Monday, September 3, 2007, 21:29:50 »

He is their in form defender who is running the show and scoring for fun  Wink
flammableBen

« Reply #51 on: Tuesday, September 4, 2007, 00:23:03 »

Quote from: "DV"

I disagree, if you've heard of this "big Jo Lescott" fellow then you've been paying to much attention, however much I enjoy football most of it's bollocks. And keeping track of players who play well in the championship and then get moves to the premier league and then get called up for England just so you can say I told you so is rubbish.

I've heard of Bobby Howe. Why's he not in the England team Mr. Logic?
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday, September 4, 2007, 00:33:26 »

because he's fucking shit and no longer plays professional football.....

....he has however played in the UEFA Cup!
red macca

« Reply #53 on: Tuesday, September 4, 2007, 11:26:28 »

He is good for owen though and in fact if you look at the strikers heskey has played with they all enjoy playing alongside him.He creates so much space for others and gets so much shit for it aswell
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday, September 4, 2007, 12:08:30 »

Can't believe the german is laughing about the Heskey recall.   The gerries inability to deal with emile was one of the biggest reasons why england stuffed germany back in 2001 (?)

From a Scotland point of view I'd rather play an england side minus a big physically presence like Heskey up front than two strikers, who don't put it about, and are a little bit light weight.

From a person who dont tive a monkey's about england I think it's a good decision by SMc.
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday, September 4, 2007, 12:09:54 »

5-1, even heskey scored, 5-1 even heskey scored  Beers
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday, September 4, 2007, 12:11:38 »

I forgot to say another major reason england won so convincingly was that the gerries' defence was awful, dire, shocking.  

Not seen such bad defending since France 1940 (when the gerries took full advantage).
flammableBen

« Reply #57 on: Tuesday, September 4, 2007, 12:14:03 »

Quote from: "janaage"
I forgot to say another major reason england won so convincingly was that the gerries' defence was awful, dire, shocking.  

Not seen such bad defending since France 1940 (when the gerries took full advantage).

I didn't think there was any football played during the war?
land_of_bo

« Reply #58 on: Tuesday, September 4, 2007, 12:14:59 »

Heskeys not a bad shout given Crouch is missing.

Listening to 5live last night it was interesting to hear Gram Poll saying that Heskey stays up on his feet a lot more than when he was at Liverpool and looks a lot stronger, which is what we need up front.

He also said that at the World Cup Crouch was singled out by the chief of refs as a player "Who gets away with too many fouls" and "one to keep tabs on" - he reckons if we get one of the World Cup refs in any of our games Crouch will be called up loads for fouls etc.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday, September 4, 2007, 12:20:55 »

Quote from: "flammableBen"
Quote from: "janaage"

I didn't think there was any football played during the war?

Haven't you seen Escape to Victory?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: