Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Emile Heskey is the new black  (Read 7892 times)
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Tuesday, September 4, 2007, 14:04:57 »

Quote from: "DV"
but why did Germany get seeded above us, when we qualifed ahead of them?

Because of the performance of the German national side in the previous x amounts of championships.  1994 put paid to england's top seeds hopes in 2002.

Everyone knows the rules mate, you sound like a gillingham fan bitching that away goals didn't count double in the play offs against us.

Or Pompey fans crying about us going up when they finished just behind West Ham in 93.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Tuesday, September 4, 2007, 14:10:49 »

Quote from: "janaage"
the fact it was easy wasnt the point, the fact is we beat you and qualifed ahead of you....yet you got seeded above us - which to me doesnt make sense.

If we'd had the same run as you, we would have made it to the final easily.

DV are you suffering from some sort of memory loss?

England were crap in that world cup, take off your rosey tinted glasses for a minute.  England played alright against the Brasillians, other than that what makes you think that England would have "easily" reached the final?

I doubt England would have got out the group had they been placed in with Ireland, Cameroon and Saudi Arabia.

That world cup was a lottery due to the climate, no country "easily" qualifies for the final of WC, in any WC tournament.

You're the one suffering from memory loss

Where did I say we werent crap? England have been crap since about 96....

Rose Tinted specs, I cant stand the English national team

Germany, however were also crap at that World Cup and probably had one of the weakest Germany teams I've ever seen, however the got the luck of the draw and untill they got to the Final they didnt have to play a single decent team....

Obviously their seeding played a part in them being drawn as the 'a team' in their group where as were seeded as a 'b team' despite qualifing ahead of Germany.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday, September 4, 2007, 14:18:25 »

"Obviously their seeding played a part in them being drawn as the 'a team' in their group where as were seeded as a 'b team' despite qualifing ahead of Germany." DV said that

Again check the rules mate, I'm sure they were drawn up well in advance of the start of the qualifying matches.

So if england were crap how would they easily qualify for the final then?  I'm confused.  

Surely they'd struggle passed the yanks, Irish, South Koreans (who had already knocked out the Italians and Spaniards).  I'm not saying they couldn't have done it, but to say they'd easily get to the final hints at arrogance to me.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #78 on: Tuesday, September 4, 2007, 14:19:13 »

you make a valid point DV, however you still manage to make it sound like sour grapes.

Thats an impressive skill, that.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday, September 4, 2007, 14:23:18 »

So if england were crap how would they easily qualify for the final then?  I'm confused.  

Surely they'd struggle passed the yanks, Irish, South Koreans (who had already knocked out the Italians and Spaniards).  I'm not saying they couldn't have done it, but to say they'd easily get to the final hints at arrogance to me.

the same way any football team wins games, the other teams are worse.

Compared to Manchester United and Chelsea, Swindon Town are crap....so how the fuck do we win games? oh yeah because we come up against teams worse than us.

As crap as England are, they are a much better team then the USA, Ireland or South Korea and its not exactly an impossible outcome that we could have beaten all those teams.

Most teams ranked in the top 15 of the World would be capable of getting past those teams, not just England.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #80 on: Tuesday, September 4, 2007, 14:25:45 »

Do you think something else could be the new black jayohaitchenn?
flammableBen

« Reply #81 on: Tuesday, September 4, 2007, 14:28:59 »

I don't think England should ever be seeded as punishment for fans thinking they're better than they actually are.

Surely that fact that we qualified above Germany and still weren't good enough to be seeded above them shows that we're not that good.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday, September 4, 2007, 14:30:14 »

As crap as England are, they are a much better team then the USA, Ireland or South Korea and its not exactly an impossible outcome that we could have beaten all those teams.

I accept that DV, what I don't accept was your original statement that england would have easily got to the final, as that is wrong.

Take a quick look at the results of the knock out stages of that tournament, most were very close games that could have went either way.

Brazil didn't exactly ease their way through now did they?
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Tuesday, September 4, 2007, 14:31:25 »

Its like finishing 20th, 15th, 15th and 12th, then finishing top of the league the next season and not being promoted, because another team have finish 3rd of the last 4 seasons and have a better record in the league despite us finishing above them
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Tuesday, September 4, 2007, 14:32:11 »

Quote from: "Dachauer"
It doesn't matter you can only beat what is put in front of you, it was easier but that is how it goes.
We went out as soon as we came up against Brazil
Germany went out as soon as they came up against Brazil

I think anybody else would probably have gone out as soon as they came up against Brazil that year. So we're all equal  Cheesy
flammableBen

« Reply #85 on: Tuesday, September 4, 2007, 14:33:47 »

Its like finishing 20th, 15th, 15th and 12th, then finishing top of the league the next season and not being promoted, because another team have finish 3rd of the last 4 seasons and have a better record in the league despite us finishing above them

It's not really is it? There's still a large amount of luck in the draw wherever you're seeded.

That comparison is like saying having the shits is a bit like getting bum raped by Emile Heskey and all his buddies down the Donkey Sanctuary.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Tuesday, September 4, 2007, 14:37:42 »

That's how world Cups have been seeded for years.  I'm sure this must have worked in England's favour in the past, in the euro's perhaps (?).

It's the same way the Champions League is seeded.

It's the way that the football authorities have decided to do things.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #87 on: Tuesday, September 4, 2007, 14:39:54 »

Quote from: "Si Pie"
Do you think something else could be the new black jayohaitchenn?

yes, the problem with making statements in real life is you can't use winky emoticons... Oops
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #88 on: Tuesday, September 4, 2007, 14:44:41 »

Shocked
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Tuesday, September 4, 2007, 15:59:19 »

That's how world Cups have been seeded for years.  I'm sure this must have worked in England's favour in the past, in the euro's perhaps (?).

It's the same way the Champions League is seeded.

It's the way that the football authorities have decided to do things.

I doubt it's worked in our favour much because we've not really done well enough for it to.

I think us English must just accept our fate, a bit like the Scots FIFA ranking thnaks to Bertie causing you to have a very difficult task to qualify.  Something we should take note of when playing friendlies I think.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: