Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town Vs Aldershot Official Match Day Thread  (Read 26329 times)
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Sunday, November 27, 2011, 17:24:47 »

didn't go yesterday, weekend away....

Glad to get the points but are the BBC stats really correct and Shiots had over 60% of the ball?

Clems Army!
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Sunday, November 27, 2011, 17:24:47 »

I'm sure quite a few scouts have been mobilised with the aim of watching Ritchie, plenty of them will be going back with glowing reports on Ferry, Caddis and Flint... Its going to be tough keeping them here in January.

If a Championship club comes in with a bid for one of them I'm pretty sure they'd go. With agents promoting the chance to probably double their wages, it'll be too much for them to turn down. Any club loyalty goes out the window - the agents make damn sure of that.

Saying that, and it sounds obvious, players cannot go without a firm bid being made by a club - I think it was Matt Le Tiss who said in his biography that all the praise he got for showing loyalty by staying at Southampton for his whole career was pretty much unfounded, it was more that no other club ever made a proper bid for him...

Fingers crossed, that Jan comes and goes with little or no movement.

I'm sure Tottenham and Chelsea put in some serious bids for Le Tissier back in the day?

Its up to the player ultimately but if anyone is going to bash club loyalty and pride into their heads its Paolo Di Canio.

He's stressed he wants to build something here, long term (in football terms, so at least 2 years or something) I hope thats rubbed off on the players.

On the subject of Morrison is he getting any games?
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: Sunday, November 27, 2011, 17:29:27 »

Hahaha Sean Morrisons last league game was for us against Oldham on the 8th of January (his birthday as it happens) this year.

He's been out on loan at Huddersfield where he played 0 games. He's played one Carling Cup game for Reading.

Now, if I were a footballer i'd rather be at Swindon playing games then being at Reading earning more money and doing fuck all.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Sunday, November 27, 2011, 17:31:56 »

To be honest though, if he was still here he wouldn't be in the team, in fact I'm not sure he would get on the bench in front of Devera
Arch Stanton

Wallowing in negativity

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Sunday, November 27, 2011, 17:36:01 »

I'm sure Tottenham and Chelsea put in some serious bids for Le Tissier back in the day?

Yeah I thought that as well and was surprised by Le Tissiers claim. I always thought he never wanted to move as he was a bit of home town lad and never wanted to be too far from the Channel Islands.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Sunday, November 27, 2011, 17:38:17 »

Reading through the last few pages, I do think that Ritchie is overrated by some fans. Don't get me wrong, he is one of our best players and one of the best players in League 2 but he has always been inconsistent for us and to be honest I wouldn't be as bothered about losing him than I would Ferry and Caddis. No way would he cut in in the Championship.

Althought at times suspect defensively, going forward Caddis is superb and a big part of our play, more than I used to give him credit for. Ferry would be the biggest loss, quite simply we have no one who could even slightly replace him to a good standard. Smith/Risser are like for like but we have no one who is a ball playing midfielder like Ferry. The only thing that will prevent him playing at a higher level than League 1 is his shooting and lack of goal threat.

If Ridehalgh had Kennedys delivery we would have one hell of a player on our hands, he is much more solid at the back than Kennedy so hopefully we can keep him for the season. Saying that, he put in a decent cross for our 2nd goal yesterday but he does hoof quite a bit.

Very glad we cut out the diagonal ball to Gabilondo that we failed to pull off several times against Huddersfield. It was good to see him in the side but he faded, I think it's time Esajas is given a start.

Arch Stanton

Wallowing in negativity

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: Sunday, November 27, 2011, 17:39:56 »

I think Caddis and Ferry look good enough now to slot into a higher division team straight away, I think Flint is acquitting himself well in a very physical league but is still work in progress, he'll get better and better.

Speaking of failed ex-Town defenders, is Ben Tozer still the mainstay of the Northampton Town impenetrable back line these days?  Wink
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: Sunday, November 27, 2011, 17:40:10 »

Hahaha Sean Morrisons last league game was for us against Oldham on the 8th of January (his birthday as it happens) this year.

He's been out on loan at Huddersfield where he played 0 games. He's played one Carling Cup game for Reading.

Now, if I were a footballer i'd rather be at Swindon playing games then being at Reading earning more money and doing fuck all.

Good sensible post till the last line......all players want to earn more,except the ones with there mortgages paid etc...that is why they are PROFESIONAL....its the main reason why they play footy....now if you believe most play for the love of it then carry on thinking that.

It is the reason Devera is here sitting on our bench most weeks rather than getting player of the season accolades at Barnet....and the same with Grimsby favourite Connel.
Both see it as a step up with better wages...just as Morrison did.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Sunday, November 27, 2011, 17:50:48 »

At no point did I say I believed most play for the love. You're quite simply reading things that arent even there.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: Sunday, November 27, 2011, 17:56:56 »

How many times do you hear players that go out on loan from Premier/Championship clubs say that they are looking forward to playing games as there is no substitute for playing.

That said, they are in the position that they are getting paid as a Premier/Championship player even though they are playing at a lower level.

It's hard to impress the manager & force your way into the team when you are not playing
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Sunday, November 27, 2011, 18:27:30 »

To be honest though, if he was still here he wouldn't be in the team, in fact I'm not sure he would get on the bench in front of Devera

Haha i'd completely forgot about devera!

Things get better but they never get good

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Sunday, November 27, 2011, 18:31:04 »

But rarely do players turn down moves to bigger clubs in higher divisions paying more money.
I'm sure he thought he could cut it there. I didn't, but can't blame the lad for trying.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: Sunday, November 27, 2011, 18:46:14 »

Bear in mind as well some players like the thought of having a promotion on their CV as it makes them look better and for some I think playing in a winning team also plays on the mind and don't rule out the PDC factor as well that helps to attract players so hopefully it may help keep them.

I suspect though that unless teams started offering silly money then we would not entertain bids for our best players, out of interest how long has ritchie (18 months ?) / caddis / ferry got left on their contracts
Ralphy

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: Sunday, November 27, 2011, 19:06:04 »

Ferry signed a 3 year contract with Caddis at the start of last season.
Saxondale

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Sunday, November 27, 2011, 19:07:13 »

We do seem to have a damn good 'spine' to the team now don't we.  Up front seems to be the only area which is not settled and the PDC is still tinkering.

I like to see a team that you have the confidence to know that the keeper, back 4 and midfield mostly pick themselves, but your also confident that if one gets a suspension or whatever you're not completely fucked.

Never knowingly overstated.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: