Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v York City - FA Cup Rd 1 official match day thread  (Read 26912 times)
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Saturday, November 10, 2018, 17:36:50 »

Just countering the extremely negative elements of our fan base. Not genuine gripes. You know the ones. Processed Meats, StefTroll. The ones who generally post when we have been defeated. Haven't seen them today.

How long have you been following STFC Bam Bam?
Nijholts Nuts

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Saturday, November 10, 2018, 17:37:29 »

When's the draw?

I only dream of Claire Sweeney
woolster

« Reply #92 on: Saturday, November 10, 2018, 17:40:54 »

When's the draw?

BBC1 7pm Monday
RJack

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Saturday, November 10, 2018, 17:43:42 »

Ok the game wasn't a classic but a wins a win and credit to the players for not giving up. 1st half we should have been home and dry but as we all know this is Swindon and we do things the hard way.

Not a big fan of Dunne but he did alright today.  Alzate had a decentish game too.

I don't know why people are moaning it was hardly going to be a pushover as our home form has been piss poor all season so happy to see a win for a change.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Saturday, November 10, 2018, 17:46:37 »

Ok the game wasn't a classic but a wins a win and credit to the players for not giving up. 1st half we should have been home and dry but as we all know this is Swindon and we do things the hard way.

Not a big fan of Dunne but he did alright today.  Alzate had a decentish game too.

I don't know why people are moaning it was hardly going to be a pushover as our home form has been piss poor for years so happy to see a win for a change.
Corrected for you
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Saturday, November 10, 2018, 17:47:45 »

Into round 2, with a changed team, at first attempt. You'd normally be happy with that.

Except I'm not.

For once I was extremely confident of a very comfortable victory. And while the stats will probably point to getting one, I don't think they tell the true story.

In the first 10-15 minutes everything was going to plan. We looked sharp, dangerous got a few shots on target which the  not too good York keeper parried out, but we didn't capitalise. Then McGlashen fed Twine and a delightful flick put us 1-0 up.

Everything was going as well as expected and while I didn't expect York to lie down and die it was surely a matter of how many we got.

Except it wasn't .

While we restricted York to creating not much, we tailed off, the tempo dropped and the game became scrappy. Madness at 1-0. Then York started to put together 1 or 2 chances. They forced a corner and very nearly got an equaliser. They started to match us, our early superiority fading fast.

The equaliser came from open play, a good pass down the left and a shot parried out to by Vigs. The rebound duly dispatched. Something we could learn from - gambling on second balls from shots.

Second half I think York looked the most likely to score from 45-65 minutes. Then suddenly we upped the tempo, and pushed York back for 10 minutes. Alzate scored the winner and I thought that was that. It was, but the disappointing thing was off dropped the tempo and while we sort of kept York mostly at arms length a set piece and a corner is all it would have taken... and it nearly did.

Still we saw out the game and are in the hat for round 2.

What I expected was to come out with a bit of confidence, looking forward to the Carlisle game..I've come out feeling more depressed than I went in.

Oh, and 3700 fans, York must have had a couple of hundred. Was surprised at hearing a fair few comments on people not knowing it was only any Ayrton to get in.
« Last Edit: Saturday, November 10, 2018, 17:50:25 by Batch » Logged
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Saturday, November 10, 2018, 17:55:11 »

Even at a tenner Batch the "entertainment" isn't value for money in my opinion, not suprised by the very low (for STFC) attendance.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: Saturday, November 10, 2018, 17:59:52 »

Don't take it so seriously Batch.... we know we're not very good, and will likely be in a fight to stay up this season, so the cup is always a welcome distraction. We can now enjoy the rest of the weekend and hope to avoid a Conference side in the draw.
singingiiiffy

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Saturday, November 10, 2018, 18:03:14 »

Well yh obviously except last year...

except for last year?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Saturday, November 10, 2018, 18:06:04 »

Quote from: Reg Smeeton
 Don't take it so seriously Batch.... we know we're not very good, and will likely be in a fight to stay up this season, so the cup is always a welcome distraction. We can now enjoy the rest of the weekend and hope to avoid a Conference side in the draw.
thought as there was only 3700 odd there that a longer assessment was in order Smiley

tldr: much better than losing, no real positives that could feed into league form (maybe twine)
Stef Troll

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Saturday, November 10, 2018, 18:09:55 »

I bet bamboo is a lovely fella, but I always imagine him to be that bloke you try and avoid in the street because once he starts talking you can’t get rid of him.

😂🤣
Stef Troll

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Saturday, November 10, 2018, 18:11:28 »

Good win. Hopefully get a good home draw or conference team away from home which maybe on TV. I doubt Town budgeted to get into the third round so would be some extra money which can only be good.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: Saturday, November 10, 2018, 18:13:01 »

thought as there was only 3700 odd there that a longer assessment was in order Smiley

tldr: much better than losing, no real positives that could feed into league form (maybe twine)

I know what you mean, but I don't think a one off cup game has any real bearing on next Saturday's big game.  Then we return to reality.... we badly need that win at the CG to break this historic Div 4 record of shitness and that will require a significant improvement all around the side picked. The odd little 5 minutes of decent play, here and there won't be enough.
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: Saturday, November 10, 2018, 18:15:36 »

Next Saturday is arguably our biggest match since the Leicester play off in 93...I just hope Brown manages to get the importance through to the players.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: Saturday, November 10, 2018, 18:25:17 »

Next Saturday is arguably our biggest match since the Leicester play off in 93...I just hope Brown manages to get the importance through to the players.

Perhaps our biggest match since last Feb at Wycombe when a win there would have seen us replace them in the auto slots.

It was losing that whcih deflated the season.

Brown clearly knows the importance, but won't want to load pressure onto the players, as so far we've seen they don't react well.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: