Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon v York City - FA Cup Rd 1 official match day thread  (Read 26696 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: Sunday, November 11, 2018, 09:52:10 »

So, do we just need one of those brick shithouse No 9s with Twine playing off. We are very lightweight up front, no aerial threat and a Stevie Wonder approach to shooting.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: Sunday, November 11, 2018, 10:30:38 »

Not heard an effort on goal booed before, even if it was a very poor one and the long range shooting was rubbish throughout.
Are these the same people who moan about not having any shots or a different group who prefer to see a couple of square passes before The Better Town End sign is disturbed.
We live in a boo culture I guess. Boooooooooooo.

Given we were down to the estimated 3000 hardcore fans, you'd expect most there to be supportive, but there will always be some who have a pathological need for a boo, and because it is so quiet, they're heard. In this case as Lancashire wasn't playing Conroy will do.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: Sunday, November 11, 2018, 10:48:07 »

No. We won a game that is always a reason to celebrate... I guess when you don't go any longer, you lose sight of that.

Getting a just about 2-1 win, over a team 2 divisions below us, in a cup competition we will not get close to winning whilst having our worst league campaign in what 30 years? Is no reason to celebrate...

...but...that’s the issue with STFC as s collective Power down to fans. No ambition & piss poor standards. No wonder we’re going backwards and no one really cares.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: Sunday, November 11, 2018, 10:50:49 »

Quote from: REDBUCK
The equaliser came from open play, a good pass down the left and a shot parried out to by Vigs. The rebound duly dispatched. Something we could learn from - gambling on second balls from shots.
Memory recall a bit cloudy judging by the highlights.

I'm honestly starting to worry about myself
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: Sunday, November 11, 2018, 10:53:14 »

oh and Sippo and support, u11 are usually £2, so not too bad

https://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/news/2017/apr-2017/home-tickets/
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: Sunday, November 11, 2018, 11:02:14 »

Quote from: DV Canio

...as for managers would anyone rather we lost today & Brown got axed rather than we won?

two answers to that, though I can see where you are coming from.

On Brown - if he is as bad as he appears then he's gone at Christmas I reckon. if we pick up fair enough. I agree with FH that I doubt power would sack him yet, even had we lost.

on losing - need the cash from a lucrative round 3 tie. we fans need a lift. so no. I have the same issue with those that stay away to force power out. I think he will simply ride it out and reduce budgets accordingly. so I don't see not getting fa cup cash as in any way influencing his exit.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: Sunday, November 11, 2018, 11:30:32 »

Trying to find some oppo views:

Credit to Collins for setting the team up to give us a chance of getting something out of a game against a superior team.  For a while after half-time we had them worried, but the injury to Law meant that Kallum Griffith, who had done good job as defensive mid, had to move to right-back and Moke came back to his position and they could run through us at will.

We felt briefly like a proper club again, but there was a gulf between Swindon who are basically where we were three years ago, and where we have sunk to now.  All the new players look better than what went before and Nathan Dyer didn't let anybody down. Burrow is limited, but put in a shift.  We're just so far behind that level now.

A few pints in The Merlin pre-match did help, but actually a rare enjoyable away day with a good, noisy contingent of City fans.

dyer shouldnt have been playing. he was dreadful in the first 45, didnt have a clue what he was doing or where he should be playing. not his fault mind, just played out of position against far better opposition. to be fair in the second half he improved quite a bit.
Good effort. Better than most expected, but it's our fourth defeat in a row and we had 2 shots on target the whole game.

Whilst it wasn't the one-way embarrassment I'd predicted, it is nonetheless a fourth successive defeat merely weeks into the permanent reign of Mr Collins on the back of an indifferent caretaker spell. And the much-heralded "FA Cup run" is comfortably over.

Played OK for once not too disappointed with that.

Then again my standards are pretty low these days...
-------------
And a familiar theme on their majority shareholder:
Lost all interest till McGil is gone. Not another penny at a home game.

We’re f*cked. Unless we find some mystery buyer, even then McGill will only sell on his own terms, which will be ridiculous. This could then put off any suitable buyer. Until he gets bored, or enough people get behind an anti McGill campaign, nothing will change.

I started to shout anti McGill chants half way through the 2nd half, and I was told by some grey haired dick head to shut up. You know what, I can take it from McGill, can take it from the players but when I get from the follow supporter next to me,
Exiled Bob

Likes a moan

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: Sunday, November 11, 2018, 12:12:37 »

Christ, there’s some terrible misses here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/46163859
Awful. Vigouroux didn't cover himself in glory either with the pat-a-cake parry to gift them a goal.

On the bright side, I watched the EFL highlights earlier and I reckon I've found some potential defenders for next season from Hull. They'd slot neatly into our team:

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: Sunday, November 11, 2018, 12:23:27 »

Trying to find some oppo views:

-------------

We felt briefly like a proper club again, but there was a gulf between Swindon who are basically where we were three years ago, and where we have sunk to now.

Given the rate of decline under Power, three years should probably be about how long it takes for us to catch them up.

swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: Sunday, November 11, 2018, 12:24:23 »

So, do we just need one of those brick shithouse No 9s with Twine playing off. We are very lightweight up front, no aerial threat and a Stevie Wonder approach to shooting.
Was at the game yesterday and must say either of their strkers (Nos. 9 &10) would certainly be an asset to our side. Both  moved well off the ball and certainly read the game.   This is probably the only level we will acquire players from,  but,  shows to me that there are decent players below league level - Whether they would come here or whether they would fit in here is another thing .....

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: Sunday, November 11, 2018, 12:29:41 »

was impressed with their #9.

but knowing our luck, we'd end up with Jon 'all you can eat' Parkin
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: Sunday, November 11, 2018, 14:12:38 »

Getting a just about 2-1 win, over a team 2 divisions below us, in a cup competition we will not get close to winning whilst having our worst league campaign in what 30 years? Is no reason to celebrate...

...but...that’s the issue with STFC as s collective Power down to fans. No ambition & piss poor standards. No wonder we’re going backwards and no one really cares.

You've lost sight of being able to sustain a viable league club is a worthy ambition.... there is now a world below us that didn't exist say 30 odd years ago, when we previously occupied 17th spot in Div 4. There's not a whole lot of difference between clubs in Conference N and S and us in playing standards, and really there is no reason other than some sort of stubborn pride in our club, that will stop us finding out.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #147 on: Sunday, November 11, 2018, 14:45:20 »

During my self imposed McCormick excile, I've been watching supermarine who are div 7 equivalent. I've seen very little difference in quality to the shit served up by town the last few seasons. In fact, I've enjoyed the games a lot more.
Supermarine are a great little club and I'll continue to watch them when back at town.
Town have seen year on year decline. The Power years  have sucked all enjoyment and hope out of the club. Yes there's a club to support but at what cost. I can very easily see us in the conference, unthinkable a couple of years ago. A little bit of distance from the club helps to see things a  bit more clearly. Unless something radical happens this club is fucked for the foreseeable future.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: Sunday, November 11, 2018, 15:06:38 »

During my self imposed McCormick excile, I've been watching supermarine who are div 7 equivalent. I've seen very little difference in quality to the shit served up by town the last few seasons. In fact, I've enjoyed the games a lot more.
Supermarine are a great little club and I'll continue to watch them when back at town.
Town have seen year on year decline. The Power years  have sucked all enjoyment and hope out of the club. Yes there's a club to support but at what cost. I can very easily see us in the conference, unthinkable a couple of years ago. A little bit of distance from the club helps to see things a  bit more clearly. Unless something radical happens this club is fucked for the foreseeable future.

Which is why seeing a bit of fight for the future of our club, from the fans, players and management, to at least halt the decline is a worthy ambition.... now I'm not altogether sure the will is there, but I'd like to think it is.
random_five

Downton, Wiltshire

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: Sunday, November 11, 2018, 15:10:03 »

Town have seen year on year decline. The Power years  have sucked all enjoyment and hope out of the club. Yes there's a club to support but at what cost. I can very easily see us in the conference, unthinkable a couple of years ago. A little bit of distance from the club helps to see things a  bit more clearly. Unless something radical happens this club is fucked for the foreseeable future.

I think you’ve pretty much hit the nail squarely on the head there.

And by something radical, that, essentially, means Lee Power being completely removed from the football club.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: