Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town Centre  (Read 49125 times)
SwindonTartanArmy
Go Team GB!

London Scottish - More History than Franchise!

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: Tuesday, August 18, 2009, 14:42:42 »

FFS, Can the Swindon Council get any more stupid? Why the fuck would anyone travel from Reading, Oxford, Bristol, or Bath to shop in Poundland and have a Greggs for lunch?

Vi er best i verden! Vi er best i verden! Vi har slått England 2-1 i fotball!! Det er aldeles utrolig! Vi har slått England! England, kjempers fødeland. Lord Nelson, Lord Beaverbrook, Sir Winston Churchill, Sir Anthony Eden, Clement Attlee, Henry Cooper, Lady Diana--vi har slått dem alle sammen. Vi har slått dem alle sammen. Maggie Thatcher can you hear me?
Your boys took a hell of a beating!"
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: Tuesday, August 18, 2009, 15:04:01 »

FFS, Can the Swindon Council get any more stupid? Why the fuck would anyone travel from Reading, Oxford, Bristol, or Bath to shop in Poundland and have a Greggs for lunch?

I'm on my way.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Jamiesfuturewife
Cats is nature

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: Tuesday, August 18, 2009, 15:32:16 »

Maybe he's coming twice. Or I misheard. Who knows.

The Gruffalo sure loves Swindon!
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: Tuesday, August 18, 2009, 15:38:16 »

The Gruffalo would
RJack

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: Tuesday, August 18, 2009, 17:08:52 »

Welcome to Swindon home to the highest rate of teenage pregnancies & unemployment in britain.

Our town centre is one of the worst run down shit holes in the whole of britain, in fact Springburn is Glasgow probably looks more appealing than Swindon.

This town has become a souless heap of steaming poo and the catalyst was the closure of the rail works.  There's jsut been no re-investment into it.

Let's be honest who in their right mind would be attracted to our town centre business wise or personal that has nothing to offer them?

You can't even go into the town centre at night of a weekend without get your head stoved in just because you walked home on your own.

SBC even hired a bunch of cowboys to handle the redevelopment of the town centre because they were the cheaper option.

Bulldoze the lot and start over IMO
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: Tuesday, August 18, 2009, 17:30:49 »

Welcome to Swindon home to the highest rate of teenage pregnancies & unemployment in britain.

Our town centre is one of the worst run down shit holes in the whole of britain, in fact Springburn is Glasgow probably looks more appealing than Swindon.

This town has become a souless heap of steaming poo and the catalyst was the closure of the rail works.  There's jsut been no re-investment into it.

Let's be honest who in their right mind would be attracted to our town centre business wise or personal that has nothing to offer them?

You can't even go into the town centre at night of a weekend without get your head stoved in just because you walked home on your own.

SBC even hired a bunch of cowboys to handle the redevelopment of the town centre because they were the cheaper option.

Bulldoze the lot and start over IMO

Whenever i've walked home on a night out i've never encountered any trouble.

Things get better but they never get good
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #141 on: Tuesday, August 18, 2009, 17:33:38 »

Nor me, Swindon is no worse or no better than any other Town/City in Britain.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: Tuesday, August 18, 2009, 17:33:40 »

Most of that is bullshit...just like the stuff this fella posts on thisis.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: Tuesday, August 18, 2009, 17:45:16 »

Haha i did wonder how the closure of the rail works was the death knell for the town, what with it attracting global businesses ever since.

The towns fine, its only really the square mile in the middle that looks a bit shabby. The exact opposit of slough.

Things get better but they never get good
RJack

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: Tuesday, August 18, 2009, 21:56:32 »

I think this person sums up our town centre perfectly

Burke Shelley, Near Swindon says...
6:00pm Tue 18 Aug 09

I really hope that inSwindon and Swindon Borough Council really, in their heart of hearts realise this: there is nothing in Swindon town centre whatsoever to attract shoppers from the likes of Bath, Bristol, Oxford, Reading etc. These places already have the range of shops Swindon has, and more. Also, each of these places offers a more attractive environment, both in terms of architecture, culture, sight-seeing and a less tangible aspect - atmosphere. Swindon town centre is, as so many agree on here, a dump. It is dirty, litter-strewn and depressing to be in. Hordes of youths congregate shouting and swearing outside Debenhams (the only quality shop in the town besides M&S) whilst bored office workers (what's left of them) gossip outside Zurich smoking, making it impossible to get from the bus station to The Parade without copping a lungful. Once you get there you get accosted by someone begging money, by way of a guitar and a hungry dog, and then someone in a fleece from either a utility company or a no-win no-fee mob will try to fleece you. If your will to live lasts as long as getting to the crossroads of Canal Walk and Regent Street someone will either (depending on the day) try to trust a bible into your hand, or you will be 'serenaded' by a godawful Jim Reeves C&W cabaret act or the Peruvian band from The Fast Show - if only they were as funny.

You then look up to the Jubilee Clock and think, oh my, is it only 09:08?

Please, inSwindon and Swindon Borough Council, do not waste money on advertising this town centre. You cannot pretend that it is anything other than what it really is - shabby and unattractive, full of boarded-up units, pound shops and the identikit outlets to be found on any high street in the country.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #145 on: Tuesday, August 18, 2009, 22:01:25 »

You get youths/religious nutters hanging around town centres in most places. Reading is no different to Swindon in that respect.
Doore

« Reply #146 on: Tuesday, August 18, 2009, 22:02:13 »

RJack - that is pretty accurate I would say.  I grew up in Swindon and lived there for a long time, but when I come back and have a mooch around the town centre I do find it hopefully depressing.  Its such a shame because geographically and economically the town is pretty well off.  The number of years that the main library spent in a portacabin spoke volumes.  
RJack

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: Tuesday, August 18, 2009, 22:10:01 »

I've lived in Town 30 odd years and it's still stuck in the 70's. Years have gone by and nothing has materialised other than empty promises and let downs with regards to making it a better place.

Todays article in the adver just shows how deluded Simon Jackson of inSwindon is  Sad

Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #148 on: Tuesday, August 18, 2009, 22:13:14 »

I would rather the money was spent on the town centre than advertising. I guess there's a bit of a catch 22 when it comes to the shops which occupy the units in town - cheapo stores won't attract outsiders in but the types of stores that will do not generally do very well. House of Fraser is a good example, it's now an outlet store which is not in the outlet village. Add to that Matalan Clearance, I guess the people of Swindon favour a bargain rather than spending more for better choice and quality.

Same as restaurants really, people value cheaper food with bigger portions over expensive high quality, Cosmos being a recent example.

chalkies_shorts

« Reply #149 on: Tuesday, August 18, 2009, 22:17:48 »

I stopped off at Cabots Circus yesterday with the family. It was very impressive. Loads of places to eat and the bogs were superb.  
If Swindon thinks it can compete with Brizzle then its seriuosly deluded. In fact their advertising could well have the reverse affect as if somebody does come to Swindon town centre then they will tell all their mates what a soulles shit hole it is.  
I'm Swindon born and bred but we've got the shittiest town centre I have seen.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 ... 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: