Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town Centre  (Read 49300 times)
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Wednesday, June 24, 2009, 17:39:18 »

swindon is already too big.
Economic growth theories suggest otherwise. And that's the kind of theory that the local council will be following. More people = more economic activity = more activity = 'better town'
Spencer_White

« Reply #91 on: Wednesday, June 24, 2009, 18:42:51 »

Economic growth theories suggest otherwise. And that's the kind of theory that the local council will be following. More people = more economic activity = more activity = 'better town'

Yeah, but there are hundreds of abandoned/unsold/reposessed houses in the north swindon development.

They need to have people living in those before they build another 10,000 in the east.

Im a first time buyer. Took a look at a 3 story, 3 bedroom, 2 toilet house in Redhouse. Reposessed, on the market for £136,000. But I wouldnt want a house up there. The infrastructure isnt right, thamesdown drive is a pain. Just difficult to get anywhere. Looking in west Swindon, a much better development.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: Wednesday, June 24, 2009, 18:59:50 »

Ah yes,
Ah yes, a nice big apartment block and lets call it the project to give that really classy feel... West Baltimore mkII...

I like it - having an area called "The Projects". Plus to be fair, when "The Projects" were first built I'd imagine they weren't that bad - they just deteriorated over time, much like the bad areas in Swindon. 
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Wednesday, June 24, 2009, 19:19:17 »

The projects were the cheapest type of housing the american government could get away with building.

Redhouse is quite a good area i'd have thought. Good transport links by road and good stuff near by

Things get better but they never get good
Arnold.J.Rimmer

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Wednesday, June 24, 2009, 20:14:32 »

we should just build one of these. Government get their housing and Swindon keeps their green space. everybody wins.  Smiley

[url width=900 height=675]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3321/3657121986_a4a74c33d6_b.jpg[/url]
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Wednesday, June 24, 2009, 20:16:46 »

Only if we build two smaller ones on either side so it looks like Swindon is flipping the bird at Oxford.
flammableBen

« Reply #96 on: Wednesday, June 24, 2009, 20:43:28 »

[url width=125 height=220]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d35/flammableben/ArcoB.jpg[/url]
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: Wednesday, June 24, 2009, 21:32:30 »

hahaha awesome ben. i do love SimCity

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Wednesday, June 24, 2009, 22:55:17 »

Yeah, but there are hundreds of abandoned/unsold/reposessed houses in the north swindon development.

They need to have people living in those before they build another 10,000 in the east.

Im a first time buyer. Took a look at a 3 story, 3 bedroom, 2 toilet house in Redhouse. Reposessed, on the market for £136,000. But I wouldnt want a house up there. The infrastructure isnt right, thamesdown drive is a pain. Just difficult to get anywhere. Looking in west Swindon, a much better development.

Blimey, you are right......must be all of two miles away!
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: Wednesday, June 24, 2009, 23:07:50 »

The infrastructure isnt right, thamesdown drive is a pain. Just difficult to get anywhere.

I think its either end of Thamesdown Drive that is the problem. If you head down it towards West Swindon during rush hour its a nightmare, massive tail backs once you leave it. Not a problem with Thamesdown Drive, just the fucking stupid excuse for traffic management and road planning that comes after it - primarily roundabouts where there should be traffic lights.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: Wednesday, June 24, 2009, 23:34:16 »

Abbey Meads is the worst. You never know where the fuck your going up there. All looks the same and the layout is truly awful. In fact most parts of the Northern development are pretty poorly planned.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Wednesday, June 24, 2009, 23:46:23 »

Abbey Meads is the worst. You never know where the fuck your going up there. All looks the same and the layout is truly awful. In fact most parts of the Northern development are pretty poorly planned.

Say what you want about the USA, but having all your roads running horizontally and vertically makes it a piece of piss to get to where you want to with a minimum of fuss. Especially when you number them as well. Its nigh on impossible to get lost, even for women.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #102 on: Thursday, June 25, 2009, 00:00:47 »

The Bridgemead roundabout (with traffic light system) is where the tailbacks are in West Swindon which backs it up to Thamesdown Drive. I don't think it's the roundabouts it's the volume of traffic.

The only thing that pisses me off about Thamesdown Drive, aside from it looking the same either side for the entire stretch, is the endless sets of lights. Very Southampton-like in that respect.

Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: Thursday, June 25, 2009, 08:02:04 »

My biggest bug bear with North Swindon is that it's just so poorly connected with the rest of town.  Thamesdown Drive effectively forms an arc across the top of what used to be the outskirts of town and the only way you can go anywhere is to go east or west on the dual carriageway before making your way in to town from there.

The plans for 'East Swindon' (™ Ardiles 2009 - you heard it first here) when it eventually gets built look like having the same problem.  Massive development, miles from the centre of town and with no direct through route between the two.
Sippo
Living in the 80s

I ain't gettin on no plane fool

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: Thursday, June 25, 2009, 08:05:14 »

The Bridgemead roundabout (with traffic light system) is where the tailbacks are in West Swindon which backs it up to Thamesdown Drive. I don't think it's the roundabouts it's the volume of traffic.

The only thing that pisses me off about Thamesdown Drive, aside from it looking the same either side for the entire stretch, is the endless sets of lights. Very Southampton-like in that respect.

Designed to slow the traffic down.

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious shit...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: