Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town Centre  (Read 49117 times)
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Wednesday, June 24, 2009, 07:59:24 »

At the moment Swindon Council seem to be able to talk the talk but seem to be struggling to walk the walk...all talk no action.

It's the Tory PR machine in action again, it starts at the top with Cameron and comes down to dear old Rod Bluh - did he go to Eton as well?
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #76 on: Wednesday, June 24, 2009, 08:53:53 »

There was talk of 10,000 new houses aroung Convingham and Wanborough.

My major criticism of SBC, Tory or Labour led, is that it seems hellbent on building houses yet the amenities need to be so much better in order to justify the extra population. At least when West Swindon was built they gave us the Link Centre, but the overall town needs something more.

It's incredible the library only just got sorted out. Why Swindon College was left to rot instead of being knocked down straight away is a mystery. Wouldn't surprise me if vandals set the whole place alight before 2010.

Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #77 on: Wednesday, June 24, 2009, 09:03:40 »

My major criticism of SBC, Tory or Labour led, is that it seems hellbent on building houses yet the amenities need to be so much better in order to justify the extra population. At least when West Swindon was built they gave us the Link Centre, but the overall town needs something more.

It's incredible the library only just got sorted out. Why Swindon College was left to rot instead of being knocked down straight away is a mystery. Wouldn't surprise me if vandals set the whole place alight before 2010.

well that's got me thinking.
Barry Scott

« Reply #78 on: Wednesday, June 24, 2009, 09:21:30 »

Vandalism and fire are close friends and also a great laugh. I'm sure a few pints of both beer and petrol could make for a seriously ace night around a pretty spectacular fire.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Wednesday, June 24, 2009, 10:09:07 »

SBC has little to no say in the number of houses that have to be built, it all comes from central government. By the time it gets to local planning the ship has sailed for complaints - the houses have to go somewhere.

I reckon there is plenty of scope for them to put more housing in existing residential areas, by bulldozing what is already there and rebuilding better - especially more apartment blocks. If they're talking about squeezing more houses in they are on another planet.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #80 on: Wednesday, June 24, 2009, 10:17:19 »

But where are the extra amenities to go with the housing?
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Wednesday, June 24, 2009, 10:32:01 »

But where are the extra amenities to go with the housing?

Its not just amenities, the whole basic infrastructure of the town hasn't changed with the increase in population.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Wednesday, June 24, 2009, 11:09:28 »

SBC has little to no say in the number of houses that have to be built, it all comes from central government. By the time it gets to local planning the ship has sailed for complaints - the houses have to go somewhere.

I reckon there is plenty of scope for them to put more housing in existing residential areas, by bulldozing what is already there and rebuilding better - especially more apartment blocks. If they're talking about squeezing more houses in they are on another planet.

I think you're missing the point, Jonny.  The extra 10,000 houses (or 12,000. the last I heard) are not going to be built in Covingham or Wanborough, but on land between the two.  The development being discussed covers a huge area to the east of the A419 and would extend Swindon a long way out to the east.  Areas like Covingham and Nythe would no longer border countryside as they do now, but would be surrounded on all sides by other suburbs - much like Gorse Hill and Greenmeadow are now.  Follow the link for more detail.

http://www.swindon.gov.uk/j51312_supplementary_planning_document.indd.pdf

Its not just amenities, the whole basic infrastructure of the town hasn't changed with the increase in population.

I couldn't agree with you more on that point.  One of the reasons that the centre of Swindon is failing so badly at the moment is that it has not grown with the town.  The town centre is tiny and not able to support the needs of the present population of Swindon (let alone the future population following further expansion).

I am not holding up the IDR in Reading as a masterpiece of urban design, but in terms of infrastructure something on a similar scale was required in Swindon decades ago, and it never happened.  As a result, Swindon continues to shamble along and lose out to its neighbours.  It's such a shame.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday, June 24, 2009, 12:41:16 »

I think you're missing the point, Jonny.  The extra 10,000 houses (or 12,000. the last I heard) are not going to be built in Covingham or Wanborough, but on land between the two.  The development being discussed covers a huge area to the east of the A419 and would extend Swindon a long way out to the east.

I may have not read the article in the Adver this week properly but my understanding was that there are now two options for the 10,000 new houses; the eastern development (which you refer to) or squeezing them in with existing developments (primarily in the east - Park, Liden, Covingham etc).
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Wednesday, June 24, 2009, 12:47:06 »

OK, thanks.  Didn't know that.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #85 on: Wednesday, June 24, 2009, 12:48:41 »

I don't see why we need to compare ourselves to neighbouring towns, just need to concentrate on getting it right in our place.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Wednesday, June 24, 2009, 12:52:08 »

Why not just bulldoze Penhill & Pinehurst and build some "apartments" there, I'm sure some of the more unsavory characters that live there will love them

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Wednesday, June 24, 2009, 13:03:15 »

swindon is already too big.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Wednesday, June 24, 2009, 13:38:39 »

Why not just bulldoze Penhill & Pinehurst and build some "apartments" there, I'm sure some of the more unsavory characters that live there will love them

I reckon bulldozing and replacing with apartments / houses is the way forward, especially in the town centre. It should help improve the dodgy areas plus all the infrastructure is already in place so the money can be spent on upgrading and improving it. Plus there should be some money left over to help renovate the town centre more.

Makes a lot more sense than continually expanding outwards.
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Wednesday, June 24, 2009, 14:02:48 »

Ah yes,
I reckon bulldozing and replacing with apartments / houses is the way forward, especially in the town centre. It should help improve the dodgy areas plus all the infrastructure is already in place so the money can be spent on upgrading and improving it. Plus there should be some money left over to help renovate the town centre more.

Makes a lot more sense than continually expanding outwards.

Ah yes, a nice big apartment block and lets call it the project to give that really classy feel... West Baltimore mkII...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 ... 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: