Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Crewe Vs Swindon  (Read 10185 times)
Boydy

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: Saturday, August 24, 2024, 19:26:41 »

I’m not sure it’s the negative football as much as it is the results.

His results are 2 draws and a loss in the league. Not exactly the sort of results that should have us all ready to jump off a bridge.
If we had had those results at this point last season the scores would have been something like 2-2, 4-3 & 3-3. We wouldn't have been talking about how shit Flynn was, how the tactics don't work or how he needs to go, we'd be talking about being unlucky and it'll come good.

But because the football is so negative & poor we can't see where it'll come good. So many of us aren't willing to say wait 10 games & see where Kennedy has us.
Boydy

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: Saturday, August 24, 2024, 19:28:36 »

And I'm absolutely not say hey we should give Kennedy 10 games to prove his method, this team already looks bereft of confidence & he's not shown anything to make me think he'll turn that around.
DV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: Saturday, August 24, 2024, 19:34:40 »

His results are 2 draws and a loss in the league. Not exactly the sort of results that should have us all ready to jump off a bridge.
If we had had those results at this point last season the scores would have been something like 2-2, 4-3 & 3-3. We wouldn't have been talking about how shit Flynn was, how the tactics don't work or how he needs to go, we'd be talking about being unlucky and it'll come good.

But because the football is so negative & poor we can't see where it'll come good. So many of us aren't willing to say wait 10 games & see where Kennedy has us.

A lot of people (rightfully) tore Flynna defensive tactics to pieces when we were having all those high scoring games.

He certainly came under scrutiny. We didn’t let it slide because it was ‘entertaining’
RJack

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: Saturday, August 24, 2024, 20:04:41 »

Maybe an over reaction from me but today and seeing us play and fans booing the players just bought back Sheridan days for me. I just hope our season doesn’t go that way
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: Saturday, August 24, 2024, 20:12:08 »

Fans to the players.
A few boos at the end.
Oh, not good this early even if I can understand their frustrations.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: Saturday, August 24, 2024, 20:16:19 »

Watching the Flitcroft team play was eye gauging stuff at times, we are worse than then and he was close to play offs.  It's a really tough sell playing that way if you are not doing well.  I can almost understand the rudimentary tactics, if we'd gone and recruited a good team for this level to play it.  Off of Smith you need some attacking creativity and pace, then the rest can be the plodders.  Our problem is the entire team is plodders.  Flitcroft had a semi OK front four - the aim was simple.  Seven players designed to keep them out, get it forward and let the four up to try and score.  It worked more than it didn't and yet I never wanted to see it ever again.  This time it looks a bit like that but with maybe one or two good players up top.
MGF

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: Saturday, August 24, 2024, 21:30:26 »

I don't like and never have done, the DOF model.
 I believe that we always had a bit more success in the
 Past with a studs in the grass type management set up.
 They had freedom to implement their own tactics, have a
 Clear hold and control over the team, buy in players that
 Were recruited to improve the squad and not be
 Developed in the hope they could be sold on 18 months
 Later for profit and so on.
 I think that although it's a popular thing these days, it has
 For our club altered the whole scope of what the team
 Should be about
 Call me old fashioned but if Kennedy didn't have any
 Interference from above, he just might be able to just get
 On with the job and start winning games.
 The DOF just seems to me like more like the type of role
 That actually hinders the manager rather than giving him
 Some on field freedoms.

Born and bred a Swindon Town Red.
molepar

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: Sunday, August 25, 2024, 00:01:51 »

I watched today on sky+ and perhaps this is a controversial opinion but I don’t think it was as bad as some say (context considered). If I watched the match in isolation it was undoubtedly poor but having been at the games vs Wycombe, Chesterfield, Walsall and having watched Crawley on tv I think there were improvements. Both teams were coming off the back of heavy defeats and so I am sure they would have been keen to avoid defeat above all else. We certainly seemed to be on the front foot in the first half and were crossing more. Both teams overall were quite poor and we seemed to be looking to bypass the midfield with the long balls. Harry Smith did very well and seemed to win everything in the air. He can probably consider himself hard done by for the disallowed goal as I think that goal would have stood under a different ref. I would like someone to ask the question about Cotterill and what he needs to do to be dropped - for me he was a clear weak link and I wonder if it is in the terms of his loan agreement to play every minute. If that is the case I would rather not have him in the squad. Not sure what he adds and definitely not sure what he adds in his current deep lying position when we have a wealth of other players who can play in that position.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: Sunday, August 25, 2024, 00:10:24 »

I don't like and never have done, the DOF model.
 I believe that we always had a bit more success in the
 Past with a studs in the grass type management set up.
 They had freedom to implement their own tactics, have a
 Clear hold and control over the team, buy in players that
 Were recruited to improve the squad and not be
 Developed in the hope they could be sold on 18 months
 Later for profit and so on.
 I think that although it's a popular thing these days, it has
 For our club altered the whole scope of what the team
 Should be about
 Call me old fashioned but if Kennedy didn't have any
 Interference from above, he just might be able to just get
 On with the job and start winning games.
 The DOF just seems to me like more like the type of role
 That actually hinders the manager rather than giving him
 Some on field freedoms.

Structure is irrelevant, man City have a DOF, teams have won this league playing all sorts of formations and styles so that doesn't matter either.  The problem we have is that nothing is joined up and lessons are not learned.  Tippy tippy midgets to hoof ball giants - there is a middle ground!

At the mo our only tactic is to twat it into the channels.  If we are going to do that why play wingback?  Play 3 up top or 442 or get a mckirdy type with pace and flair who just lingers around up top waiting for it.

Twatting it to noone is stupid and a bit of pragmatism is needed, but that has been in very short supply for a long time.

Also Cotterill is not a CDM, it's clearly contractual that he has to play there, but Kennedy won't last till the end of September if he keeps playing him in that role.   
« Last Edit: Sunday, August 25, 2024, 00:26:20 by Pookemon » Logged
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: Sunday, August 25, 2024, 00:24:56 »

I watched today on sky+ and perhaps this is a controversial opinion but I don’t think it was as bad as some say (context considered). If I watched the match in isolation it was undoubtedly poor but having been at the games vs Wycombe, Chesterfield, Walsall and having watched Crawley on tv I think there were improvements. Both teams were coming off the back of heavy defeats and so I am sure they would have been keen to avoid defeat above all else. We certainly seemed to be on the front foot in the first half and were crossing more. Both teams overall were quite poor and we seemed to be looking to bypass the midfield with the long balls. Harry Smith did very well and seemed to win everything in the air. He can probably consider himself hard done by for the disallowed goal as I think that goal would have stood under a different ref. I would like someone to ask the question about Cotterill and what he needs to do to be dropped - for me he was a clear weak link and I wonder if it is in the terms of his loan agreement to play every minute. If that is the case I would rather not have him in the squad. Not sure what he adds and definitely not sure what he adds in his current deep lying position when we have a wealth of other players who can play in that position.
I've been to all the competitive games before today, which I watched on sky "bunch of cunts" sports.

I thought we played well for 20 mins against crawley, but apart from that have looked clueless and I'd be surprised if there are 2 worse teams in the division than the 2 we watched today.

It's early days and crawley looked abysmal this time last year, but we desperately need the manager to open his mind to other options as plan A will get us relegated.  It won't work with the players he has and is failing to get anything out of glatzel, clark and OB4 who are decent at this level.
Robinz

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: Sunday, August 25, 2024, 00:45:16 »

I for one pleased with the point.

Manager is a bit soft and suggests will have an excuse for every situation. But ask yourself, what other options are currently available for STF  ?
adje

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: Sunday, August 25, 2024, 08:07:21 »

Not to me it's not. We were clearly the better team in that game and created the best chances and defended well when called upon and restricted Crewe to 1 clear cut chance in the 94th minute. That Glatzel missed 2 gilt edged chances is a worry though. Last season I remember many people saying you don't necessarily need small technical players to get out of this division and i think the idea that we are already one of the 2 worst teams in L2 is pessimistic to the extreme when I guess most of us have only seen 3 other teams. I'm of the opinion that 10 games in will give us a clearer picture

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
cheltred69

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: Sunday, August 25, 2024, 08:23:41 »

I agree we were the better team yesterday, but both were poor and the game was dour to watch. On that performance and our previous league games I can't see other than relegation battles for both of those teams.
I suppose there were a couple of positives from yesterday. We managed to get more crosses in, though quality was definitely variable, and the defence was generally solid, though weren't tested greatly.
The shortfalls in permanent signing recruitment has been well lamented here but the loan signings we've made is a real disappointment to me. Other clubs at this level, and us in the past have used the loan market to nicely enhance the squad with some very good young prospects. Although only a handful of games in I don't see either Cotterill or Freckleton as good enough to demand a place in the team. Both have given away possession in dangerous positions in every game and seems to be weak links that oppositions can target.
Maybe this last week of the transfer window can bring in some improvements but I'm not holding my breath!
UTR

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: Sunday, August 25, 2024, 08:27:13 »

I for one pleased with the point.

Manager is a bit soft and suggests will have an excuse for every situation. But ask yourself, what other options are currently available for STF  ?

Yeah I noticed this with the manager, think this will grate on fans quite a bit if we continue to be this turgid
adje

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: Sunday, August 25, 2024, 08:36:29 »

Also Cotterill is not a CDM, it's clearly contractual that he has to play there, but Kennedy won't last till the end of September if he keeps playing him in that role.   

I'd like to see Mitchell given a start in midfield. Looks to have a bit aggression about him and an ability to get about the pitch

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: