Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Solar Panels  (Read 1605 times)
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, May 28, 2024, 17:39:39 »

Anyone have any experience? Any recommendations?

Thinking about it, but I'm not sure whether its the right thing to do or not.

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2024, 18:01:45 »

Isn't the payback period about 15 years?
Ƭ̵̬̊: The Artist Formerly Known as CWIG
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2024, 18:02:50 »

Would just say don't enter in to any agreements where they rent the roof space for x number of years if you're looking to sell or remortgage, because a lot of banks don't like it and won't offer mortgages on them.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2024, 18:38:30 »

Isn't the payback period about 15 years?
I've heard lots of different things.

Just thinking with the higher prices, the possibility of having an electric car in the future and potentially less reliance on gas, then it makes sense to look into it.

I have an unobstructed south facing roof and would think to get as big a battery as I could afford so that I was getting paid to put back into the National Grid at optimum times and then scheduling as many chores as possible around it.

Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2024, 18:39:04 »

Would just say don't enter in to any agreements where they rent the roof space for x number of years if you're looking to sell or remortgage, because a lot of banks don't like it and won't offer mortgages on them.
Got it. Thanks.

theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2024, 19:53:50 »

If you do it, make sure you get batteries along with it to get the full benefit. I’ve got an 8Kw system and 19Kw of batteries that I got in August last year.

In the winter I was cost neutral by charging my batteries at night on an EV tariff and then selling back to the grid for double the price in the day. So far this spring/summer I’m making £20/£30 a week profit and that includes charging a 38Kw PHEV battery regularly. So with the right combination I reckon you can get the payback period down to 6 or 7 years.
Jimmy Quinn

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2024, 19:57:27 »

How much does it cost for the panels and installation.

You just gotta keep livin man!
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2024, 20:09:59 »

If you do it, make sure you get batteries along with it to get the full benefit. I’ve got an 8Kw system and 19Kw of batteries that I got in August last year.

In the winter I was cost neutral by charging my batteries at night on an EV tariff and then selling back to the grid for double the price in the day. So far this spring/summer I’m making £20/£30 a week profit and that includes charging a 38Kw PHEV battery regularly. So with the right combination I reckon you can get the payback period down to 6 or 7 years.
Who did you go with? I have someone coming to give a quote next week.

theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2024, 20:20:12 »

Who did you go with? I have someone coming to give a quote next week.
A company called Infinite Renewables did mine. Original installer went bust along with my deposit but HIES (one of the trade bodies) along with the supplier GivEnergy stepped up and got the whole install done for the original price.

A lot of companies went to the wall when lead times went crazy but the good thing is it’s got rid of a lot of the dodgy companies from the market.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2024, 20:28:33 »

A company called Infinite Renewables did mine. Original installer went bust along with my deposit but HIES (one of the trade bodies) along with the supplier GivEnergy stepped up and got the whole install done for the original price.

A lot of companies went to the wall when lead times went crazy but the good thing is it’s got rid of a lot of the dodgy companies from the market.
Thanks. That’s really helpful.

theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2024, 20:39:19 »

Thanks. That’s really helpful.
No worries, the G99 approval can take a while so if you need to make a deposit payment use a credit card just for added protection. But if they are part of schemes like HIES you should be ok.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2024, 21:11:50 »

I padi £9800 for 14 panels, 3.5Kw invertor and a 3.5kWh battery nearly 18 months ago. It's paid me back about £1200 in savings so far and that doesn't count what I've saved in diesel since getting a plug in hybrid.

3 bed semi, 2 adults, 2 kids and paying £150 a month for gas and electric.

Got it installed in Jan 2022, generated 5100kWh, used 75% of that directly and exported 25% at 0.15p a kWh.
STFC_Manc

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, May 28, 2024, 22:33:14 »

I've looked at it a few times but I haven't yet pulled the trigger.  If you aren't moving any time soon and have some spare money then it makes sense but as people say I would get a battery as well, not sure what size.

Might be worth looking at a heat pump as well, then you can get rid of the gas connection and save even more money.  Anyone else done that?

Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, May 29, 2024, 05:54:35 »

I padi £9800 for 14 panels, 3.5Kw invertor and a 3.5kWh battery nearly 18 months ago. It's paid me back about £1200 in savings so far and that doesn't count what I've saved in diesel since getting a plug in hybrid.

3 bed semi, 2 adults, 2 kids and paying £150 a month for gas and electric.

Got it installed in Jan 2022, generated 5100kWh, used 75% of that directly and exported 25% at 0.15p a kWh.
Thanks for that - Who did you go with?

Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, May 29, 2024, 06:18:00 »

Where I've got to with this is that I *think* I want as many panels as possible (to get the maximum benefit), as big a battery as possible and the ability to sell back into the grid. (I also know I don't want to rent roof space). I haven't considered the pros and cons of 'in the roof vs on the roof'. I also don't know whether there are some panels to avoid.

I read a guide on MoneySavingsExpert:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/free-solar-panels/

and followed a link to 'The EcoExperts':

https://www.theecoexperts.co.uk/

I filled in an online form and was shocked to be called within 1 minute of entering my details! I've set up an appointment, and we will see what happens from there.

I'm interested in others' experience in obtaining quotes? I don't want to be bombarded by phone calls and don't want countless salesmen around.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: