Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v AFC Wimbledon pre match drivel and matchday thread  (Read 10401 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, April 9, 2024, 10:47:08 »

We do need to be run by someone who knows football for sure, been in th egame for a while and knows what is needed.

Not entirely sure how much input Jamie Russell had on our new signings as I heard a lot of them were sourced by Paul Nicholls.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, April 9, 2024, 11:08:21 »

Weird.

As soon as I read the name Paul Nicholls I was like ‘he was on the books at Chelsea as a youth player right? Maybe similar time or a bit after Jody Morris’

I remember him as a midfielder with floppy blonde curtains (a mid 90s staple) so imagine my surprise when I googled him and found out he was a keeper.

Some google trawling later and I was remembering Mark Nicholls who as it happens I think looks a lot like Paul Nicholls the actor !!! Or certainly did on the mid 90s

As you were…
Peter Venkman

« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, April 9, 2024, 11:23:31 »

Weird.

As soon as I read the name Paul Nicholls I was like ‘he was on the books at Chelsea as a youth player right? Maybe similar time or a bit after Jody Morris’

I remember him as a midfielder with floppy blonde curtains (a mid 90s staple) so imagine my surprise when I googled him and found out he was a keeper.

Some google trawling later and I was remembering Mark Nicholls who as it happens I think looks a lot like Paul Nicholls the actor !!! Or certainly did on the mid 90s

As you were…
Paul Nicholls Elite Management.

ThreeDrawsMentality

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, April 9, 2024, 11:30:28 »

It only took 3 mins on Google to find that he set that company up with Keith Cousins.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, April 9, 2024, 11:35:44 »

Yeah, as I said the ex Chelsea youth keeper from the late 90s Paul Nicholls not to be confused with the ex Chelsea youth player from the late 90s Mark Nicholls
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, April 9, 2024, 12:04:33 »

We do need to be run by someone who knows football for sure, been in th egame for a while and knows what is needed.

Not entirely sure how much input Jamie Russell had on our new signings as I heard a lot of them were sourced by Paul Nicholls.

Big friends with John Terry and yes heard the same.
The “second hand car salesman” was tagged when I spoke to someone who knows him Smiley
adje

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, April 9, 2024, 12:42:28 »

Its a results business, if Gunning carries on getting results then he will be appointed whether any of us like him or want him. I am no different, if he wins games then I am fine with his appointment however short term.

But if he doesnt get results and we look utterly disjointed in games as we have so often then he must not be appointed manager. Simple.

If we win the rest of our games then hes probably done enough to be considered an option, he wouldnt be my option but he would have deserved it, hes young and still learning. But the game vs Sutton was utterly attrocious in terms of performance, style and tactics, thats hard to forget but 4 wins in a row will soften that a little.

As it stands hes won 4 games, drawn 4 and lost 6 games since being appointed interim manager, thats nowhere near good enough for me with a win rate of just 26%.

If we can win our last 4 (which I cant see) then he will have won 8, drawn 4 and lost 6 which is much better 44% win rate, but it will show that Gunning is learning from his mistakes, of which there have been many.

Personally I do not want another season of Gunning in charge, but if he gets results then who am I to argue.
Spot on mate

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, April 9, 2024, 13:42:29 »

Its a results business, if Gunning carries on getting results then he will be appointed whether any of us like him or want him.

I refute "carries on".

I think he's in as soon as he gets his badges whatever. Will Shan also come too?
Peter Venkman

« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, April 9, 2024, 13:56:01 »

I refute "carries on".

I think he's in as soon as he gets his badges whatever. Will Shan also come too?
By "carries on" I mean from Saturday not in total.

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, April 9, 2024, 14:48:56 »

Regardless of who did the work, it was pretty obvious it was not a well thought out plan.  It was very clear that we sent out an SOS and got a bunch of whatever was available, with little thought for how they may all come together as a cohesive squad.   It's what happens when inexperience and incompetence runs rampant in the business.  I am still very dubious that any of the contractual stuff actually puts us in a good position rather than favouring the players.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Saturday, April 13, 2024, 05:53:34 »

Really looking forward to this one, yawn………
Hope to see the ‘Town team’ that turned up last week but not holding my breath.
A draw against these would probably be acceptable.
They have more to play for than we have.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Saturday, April 13, 2024, 08:30:03 »

Nice day out there, got a long countryside stroll followed by a few cold ones on the agenda.

Think we might get walloped today.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Saturday, April 13, 2024, 08:31:51 »

A must win game for Wimbledon today & a must run around and put some effort in game for us, if only for the sake of professional pride and for the fans watching.
To be fair end of season games that don't matter haven't been the norm since I first started going.
Don't like them.

We've got away with being doubled only once so far but could be a second time today.
Not going to read too much into that as we have been competitive more often than not & it has been a tight league as far as the flotsam in the also rans category are concerned.

So, 70 goals scored is top 7.
Seven clean sheets is 8 to 10 short of top 3.
74 against is bottom four, over 2 goals per game if not including the shut outs.
Then again even Simon Gibson & Mike Graham might have struggled to keep the attacking waves at bay given the massive strategic failings of this season.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Saturday, April 13, 2024, 11:10:15 »

If we get a positive result today then I'll probably start drinking the koolaid that this new coach is mustard and why we're doing better as ordinarily I'd expect to see us get pumped today.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Saturday, April 13, 2024, 12:50:26 »

I'm hoping we show more than we did at their place. We were not in that game for a single second. I think we may get a point at least.

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: