Pages: 1 ... 2663 2664 2665 [2666]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trivial things you don't understand/mildly annoy you  (Read 5314873 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #39975 on: Friday, July 19, 2024, 08:13:32 »

Ugh. Nice quiet day for you then Dean.

So it looks like a security company (Crowdstrike) issued an update that rolled out and started BSOD'ing Windows machines.

Interesting one this. It must have passed all their testing and usually you'd surely phase such a rollout, at least a small one before a "big bang" rollout.

I'm sure we will get an explanation in the coming days/weeks.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #39976 on: Friday, July 19, 2024, 08:14:29 »

Not travelling this time (thankfully)

…need a doctors appointment though.

Luckily an IT outage doesn't reduce your chances of getting one by very much at all.
DV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #39977 on: Friday, July 19, 2024, 08:16:40 »

Luckily an IT outage doesn't reduce your chances of getting one by very much at all.

Personally can’t complain about my local GP.

Can usually get an appointment the day of, if needs be…
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #39978 on: Friday, July 19, 2024, 09:10:54 »

You are lucky!

I had to wait 4 weeks!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #39979 on: Friday, July 19, 2024, 09:58:45 »

Bloody hell, that's good.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #39980 on: Friday, July 19, 2024, 10:17:12 »

Ugh. Nice quiet day for you then Dean.

So it looks like a security company (Crowdstrike) issued an update that rolled out and started BSOD'ing Windows machines.

Interesting one this. It must have passed all their testing and usually you'd surely phase such a rollout, at least a small one before a "big bang" rollout.

I'm sure we will get an explanation in the coming days/weeks.

Seems spectacularly bad so far, some suggestions that the only way to fix this is by manually visiting every affected machine and a remote fix won't be possible. That would be... slow and costly. To put it mildly.

Ever so glad not to be in corporate IT today. God speed to anyone who is.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #39981 on: Friday, July 19, 2024, 10:49:17 »

CrowdStrike is a silly name.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #39982 on: Friday, July 19, 2024, 11:45:23 »

@nemo

Yeah, if it's bsod before boot I'm not sure how you'd centralise the fix.

I suppose it goes back to recovery mode, we've a couple of 'turn it off and on again' types here - can you centrally make it auto boot to safe mode or run some kind of patch from here?
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #39983 on: Friday, July 19, 2024, 12:05:06 »

Seems spectacularly bad so far, some suggestions that the only way to fix this is by manually visiting every affected machine and a remote fix won't be possible. That would be... slow and costly. To put it mildly.

Ever so glad not to be in corporate IT today. God speed to anyone who is.

Bye Bye

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #39984 on: Friday, July 19, 2024, 15:41:51 »

Presumably this clusterfuckstrike crowd will be booted out of bed with Microsoft?

Or will a massive loss in share value & ensuing claims be deemed punishment enough?
Microsoft lawyers will be looking into the strength of the Teflon coating in the small print I guess.

An apology doesn't really cut it.

Still, gives corporate IT bods across the globe something to do for a change.  Smiley

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #39985 on: Friday, July 19, 2024, 16:13:38 »

I imagine they'll be sued out of existence pronto
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #39986 on: Friday, July 19, 2024, 16:28:12 »

Still, gives corporate IT bods across the globe something to do for a change.  Smiley

You should be thanking me every time you purchase your KFC, Big Mac or Nandos, amonst others.  Asking me to do extra work today in this heat is ridiculous.....  I have had to have more WFH drinks on a Friday than usual, it's a tough gig, but I got through Cheesy

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #39987 on: Friday, July 19, 2024, 16:40:18 »

You should be thanking me every time you purchase your KFC, Big Mac or Nandos, amonst others.  Asking me to do extra work today in this heat is ridiculous.....  I have had to have more WFH drinks on a Friday than usual, it's a tough gig, but I got through Cheesy

Rest assured that your efforts are appreciated.
I will spare a thought the next time a zinger stacker meal goes right through me.

The aim of the IT game should be early retirement with a bit of luck.
Hope it works out for you in that respect.

Crap!
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #39988 on: Friday, July 19, 2024, 17:04:55 »

The aim of the IT game should be early retirement with a bit of luck.
Hope it works out for you in that respect.

Worked ok for me Cheesy
Pages: 1 ... 2663 2664 2665 [2666]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: