Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Gills v STFC Matchday Thread  (Read 14217 times)
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2024, 09:44:25 »

A very bittersweet feeling last night. Yes an away point at a play-off chasing side at a ground we haven't traditionally done particularly well at would usually be celebrated, but whilst the manner in which it came about to 'steal' the point in the end was pleasing, when you look back over the 90 as a whole it's a little bit deflating.

First half was terrific, playing the ball through the lines confidently and the cherry on the cake was a terrific goal by McGurk. The key moment was on the stroke of half time as Glatzel was put through, skipped past the keeper but was denied by a superb piece of defending by Ogie. Many will say he should have went down, but I admire the honesty and desire that he wanted to score.

More of the same in the second, again Glatzel had a shot cleared off the line but Gunning's subs (some have said these were pre-meditated) didn't appear to help with cohesion and Gillingham who hadn't shown very much suddenly got a foothold in the game. Gunning clearly doesn't do 'close up the shop' and having so many forward players on the pitch, whilst brave, was ultimately nearly our undoing. Their equaliser had an element of fortune, the first header hit the post and appeared to roll behind for a goal kick, but whilst we stood and watched, the Gills were alert and the giant Hawkins gleefully headed in.

Their gangly Colombian sub Hurtado was beginning to cause problems and his slaloming run (reminiscent of Claudio Caniggia in Italia 1990 v Cameroon) left sliding tackles in his wake, but not FBT who wasn't going to miss and brought him down for the pen, which was adeptly put into the net. However McKirdy wasn't going to be upstaged and after having one cleared off the line and another clear the bizarrely named 'Brian Moore stand' (surely the great man deserves better than that) he finally found gold with a beautiful finish through/past a load of legs. That wasn't quite the end of the drama, Gillingham missed a header that looked easier to score and Bycroft pulled off a match-saving tip over the bar to salvage the point.

A night packed with entertainment. The decision to rest Khan seemed odd but makes sense given he is on a disciplinary tight-rope and Devoy can't play on Saturday. With that said, whilst Flynn didn't like to use his bench (to be fair he had bugger all on it half the time) Gunning has gone for the opposite approach and wants to use as many of the squad as possible. I don't particularly like Drinan and Austin playing together, I think they are a little too similar and I'm not sure McGurk going off was really necessary either. Loads of positives though from the last 2 games, I think we're playing really good football at times. Reign this in a little bit and we might end the season strongly.
That was beautifully written and, imo, a balanced view of the game.

For younger Townenders - inc. FBT himself if he reads this! - here is a clip of Claudio Caniggia's run being stopped by Cameroon at Italia 90:

On a Gills note, I think the commentator is the famous Gills fan, the late Brian Moore.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, February 14, 2024, 09:48:10 by RedRag » Logged
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2024, 09:54:19 »

Thanks RedRag - yeah Brian Moore was a lifelong Gillingham fan and a director there for 7 years.

I mean, having a stand named after you is a top honour, it's just the one that is, seems just so, underwhelming. Especially as the other 3 don't appear to have anyone 'named'.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2024, 10:08:57 »

Although their fanzine was called ‘Brian Moore’s Head is Uncannily Like the London Planetarium’
adje

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2024, 10:14:15 »

A very bittersweet feeling last night. Yes an away point at a play-off chasing side at a ground we haven't traditionally done particularly well at would usually be celebrated, but whilst the manner in which it came about to 'steal' the point in the end was pleasing, when you look back over the 90 as a whole it's a little bit deflating.

First half was terrific, playing the ball through the lines confidently and the cherry on the cake was a terrific goal by McGurk. The key moment was on the stroke of half time as Glatzel was put through, skipped past the keeper but was denied by a superb piece of defending by Ogie. Many will say he should have went down, but I admire the honesty and desire that he wanted to score.

More of the same in the second, again Glatzel had a shot cleared off the line but Gunning's subs (some have said these were pre-meditated) didn't appear to help with cohesion and Gillingham who hadn't shown very much suddenly got a foothold in the game. Gunning clearly doesn't do 'close up the shop' and having so many forward players on the pitch, whilst brave, was ultimately nearly our undoing. Their equaliser had an element of fortune, the first header hit the post and appeared to roll behind for a goal kick, but whilst we stood and watched, the Gills were alert and the giant Hawkins gleefully headed in.

Their gangly Colombian sub Hurtado was beginning to cause problems and his slaloming run (reminiscent of Claudio Caniggia in Italia 1990 v Cameroon) left sliding tackles in his wake, but not FBT who wasn't going to miss and brought him down for the pen, which was adeptly put into the net. However McKirdy wasn't going to be upstaged and after having one cleared off the line and another clear the bizarrely named 'Brian Moore stand' (surely the great man deserves better than that) he finally found gold with a beautiful finish through/past a load of legs. That wasn't quite the end of the drama, Gillingham missed a header that looked easier to score and Bycroft pulled off a match-saving tip over the bar to salvage the point.

A night packed with entertainment. The decision to rest Khan seemed odd but makes sense given he is on a disciplinary tight-rope and Devoy can't play on Saturday. With that said, whilst Flynn didn't like to use his bench (to be fair he had bugger all on it half the time) Gunning has gone for the opposite approach and wants to use as many of the squad as possible. I don't particularly like Drinan and Austin playing together, I think they are a little too similar and I'm not sure McGurk going off was really necessary either. Loads of positives though from the last 2 games, I think we're playing really good football at times. Reign this in a little bit and we might end the season strongly.
100%

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #319 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2024, 10:38:20 »

the bizarrely named 'Brian Moore stand' (surely the great man deserves better than that) 
Good write up Bob...in spite of yet another 2 points dropped (could argue it was a point gained given how late our equaliser was) I feel strangely upbeat about the the team right now. Last night was the first game I'd watched since NYD at Crawley and it was a thousand times better than that utterly depressing dross.

We've clearly recruited well in the Window and with a few tweaks and adjustments and a couple of astute additions we should be a pretty decent side next season. My problem is that I have zero faith in the ownership to allow those things to happen...hope I'm wrong.

On the subject of Brian Moore, he did actually go one better than have a stand named after him. In the days of fanzines (which I miss very much) Gillingham's was memorably entitled "Brian Moore's Head Looks Uncannily Like the London Planetarium"...my personal favourite from that time.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2024, 10:46:23 »

See above!
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2024, 10:53:27 »

Fair play to Russell and Caffery for getting the players through the door, I think they deserve the majority of the credit for the upturn in performances considering the restrictions they are working under. Would be interesting to see what they would be like if they had a higher ceiling to work under with competent ownership.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2024, 10:58:18 »

264 STFC at Gills
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2024, 10:59:45 »

Good write up Bob...in spite of yet another 2 points dropped (could argue it was a point gained given how late our equaliser was) I feel strangely upbeat about the the team right now. Last night was the first game I'd watched since NYD at Crawley and it was a thousand times better than that utterly depressing dross.

We've clearly recruited well in the Window and with a few tweaks and adjustments and a couple of astute additions we should be a pretty decent side next season. My problem is that I have zero faith in the ownership to allow those things to happen...hope I'm wrong.

On the subject of Brian Moore, he did actually go one better than have a stand named after him. In the days of fanzines (which I miss very much) Gillingham's was memorably entitled "Brian Moore's Head Looks Uncannily Like the London Planetarium"...my personal favourite from that time.

Maybe we need Sir Clem to personally oversee more transfer windows going forwards Smiley

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #324 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2024, 11:04:33 »

We deserved a win against what was a very poor Gills team who for 75% of the game had 1 gameplan...hoof the ball to hawkins and hope for a sniff at the 2nd balls that bounced off his 50p head, right up until they involved the divey but eager to run Columbian Hurtado who is on loan from Watford.

We soaked up a lof of pressure all game with high balls put in that in the main FBT and McCarthy mopped up easily for the most part.

Town created loads of good chances and deserved a win with McKirdy, Austin, McGurk and Glatzel all missing really great chances.

I quite enjoyed the game and it is a building block but still think we miss that defensive minded midfielder sat in front of the defence but alas Gunning and co do not agree so here we are.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #325 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2024, 11:06:20 »

264 STFC at Gills
BBC has their attendance as just 2,260, that has to be wrong surely, it looked about 6k to me.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2024, 11:13:23 »

The decision to rest Khan because of the lack of numbers in midfield makes the decision to let Kinsella walk for free without a replacement even more odd.

As for last night, another good Town performance for this season, play well, create chances but give away poor goals.

Interesting that Gav is saying a lot of the same things that Flynn said (about giving away needless goals) but without digging out individual players in public.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2024, 11:30:54 »

STFC 15 goal attempts, 7 on target

Gills 16 goal attempts, 2 on target
TailBetweenLegs

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2024, 11:33:55 »

Agree Theakston. It does certainly look better and with the right management and being allowed to sign a few key midfielders and more solid defenders in the summer it could be a lot better.

My big frustration is how easily it looks like the club accepted we aren't going to for the playoffs this year. The last 3 games the pointswe have thrown away would see us sat outside the playoffs
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: Wednesday, February 14, 2024, 11:36:39 »

See above!
D'oh! ...I obviously managed to skip past that  Doh

Great name for a fanzine though...
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25   Go Up
Print
Jump to: