Poll
Question: Who gets your vote?  (Voting closed: Friday, November 10, 2023, 21:43:44)
Murphy Mahoney - 0 (0%)
Frazer Blake-Tracy - 0 (0%)
Tom Brewitt - 1 (2.5%)
Udoka Godwin-Malife - 6 (15%)
Tyrese Shade - 0 (0%)
Remeao Hutton - 2 (5%)
Liam Kinsella (sub 69) - 0 (0%)
George McEachran (sub 89) - 0 (0%)
Dan Kemp - 6 (15%)
Charlie Austin (sub 69) - 0 (0%)
Jake Young - 13 (32.5%)
Rushian Hepburn-Murphy (on 69) - 0 (0%)
Harrison Minturn (on 69) - 0 (0%)
Fletcher Hubbard (on 89) - 12 (30%)
Total Voters: 40

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Colchester v Swindon MoM Thread  (Read 5446 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2023, 13:47:00 »

I think his good points are clouded by his obvious lack of defensive nous/ability. Now, that’s probably not his fault in Flynn’s system.
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2023, 13:48:14 »

Agree with this. There's a lot wrong with our squad but Hutton is far down the list of worries.

Is he a great defender? no. He probably fits into the below average category for this level. He is however the best attacking full back in this league in my opinion.

He'll be gone in January and our right side will become as toothless as our left.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2023, 13:57:52 »

I watched the game and accept people have different opinions on players but I don't get the Hutton "shit crosses" thing to be honest.
The shit one that landed bang on Austin's head in the first half, the one that picked out Shade on the far post or the one that Kemp headed wide from less than a yard out? Add to that the great through ball which set Kemp up for a good chance and that's not a bad contribution to last night's proceedings surely? Even Parkin commented on the good quality of Hutton's crosses last night. Don't get me wrong, he has his faults but in my opinion he is far from the problem. His assists over the last season and a half speak for themselves.

I mainly agree with this. I haven't checked statistics to back this up but I bet of our team, Hutton puts the most crosses in per game. Not even David Beckham put crosses in where every single one was fodder for strikers. Again, no stats to back this up, but I reckon on average Hutton's crosses create at least 1 golden opportunity and probably 2/3 half chances. I think what might be a current issue is that the team's form is poor, fans are unhappy and so the poorer crosses are getting more focus than the ones that are creating chances. That one to Austin last night was absolutely pinpoint and he should have scored.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2023, 14:23:13 »

Austin has had numerous chances recently, mostly headers.  Nowhere near the player he was, appreciate that he’s that much older but should still be a constant goal scorer in this division.  Probably a good future coach, knows the game well but with two games a week looks totally fucked.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2023, 14:28:13 »

I am certainly not suggesting Hutton is THE problem thats missreading my post.

Hutton cant defend, we all can see that, hes in the team to create chances, but Colchester put in 2 crosses all game and both resulted in goals - Hutton put in 4 or 5 crosses and 1 should have been a goal but the rest were nowhere near a goal scoring chance. Look at the Gills game, if he had switched up his crossing instead of being defender fodder we may have created more genuine goal scoring chances.

If Hutton crosses like that then the problem is not Hutton as much as the attackers he is crossing to, if we had a bigger target man up front then Hutton could well create 3 or 4 times as many clear cut goal scoring chances, Austin does not have the pace to get into good positions any more but can still provide a cracker of a header/goal at times, as he did on Saturday.

Our problem is that we have pretty much 10 attack minded players and no defensive minded players, even Brewitt, often our last line of defence gets caught out when taking the ball forwards and attacking.

For me, and this is just me, you cannot build a team with attacking players alone, as a priority you need defensive players 1st and foremost.

There are only so many teams we will outscore, ala Kevin Keegans sides in the 90s and early 00s. How many titles or cups did he win? yet Arsenal who were classed as boring around that time, based their entire team on a rock solid defence and went an entire season unbeaten because of that and won many cups and titles playing that way.

Basically after my waffling, I personally (and many wont agree) want a side with a solid defensive backbone who dont go wandering up the pitch when they should be defending leaving gaping holes at the back that every team, no matter how poor, seem to exploit in us. Defenders are paid to defend, as excting as it it watching Dokes and FBT run with the ball creating things we are left massively exposed at the back all the time.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2023, 14:32:46 »

As per my other post the squad needs a massive overhaul and that’s not going to happen with the current owners.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2023, 14:54:37 »

I did miss the one to Austin tbf. My ifollow froze and then came back just before we scored.

Those types of crosses only really work when the striker is completely unmarked. Against a team like Gillingham when we kept putting them in, they're virtually useless.
adje

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2023, 16:05:30 »

I am certainly not suggesting Hutton is THE problem thats missreading my post.

Hutton cant defend, we all can see that, hes in the team to create chances, but Colchester put in 2 crosses all game and both resulted in goals - Hutton put in 4 or 5 crosses and 1 should have been a goal but the rest were nowhere near a goal scoring chance. Look at the Gills game, if he had switched up his crossing instead of being defender fodder we may have created more genuine goal scoring chances.

If Hutton crosses like that then the problem is not Hutton as much as the attackers he is crossing to, if we had a bigger target man up front then Hutton could well create 3 or 4 times as many clear cut goal scoring chances, Austin does not have the pace to get into good positions any more but can still provide a cracker of a header/goal at times, as he did on Saturday.

Our problem is that we have pretty much 10 attack minded players and no defensive minded players, even Brewitt, often our last line of defence gets caught out when taking the ball forwards and attacking.

For me, and this is just me, you cannot build a team with attacking players alone, as a priority you need defensive players 1st and foremost.

There are only so many teams we will outscore, ala Kevin Keegans sides in the 90s and early 00s. How many titles or cups did he win? yet Arsenal who were classed as boring around that time, based their entire team on a rock solid defence and went an entire season unbeaten because of that and won many cups and titles playing that way.

Basically after my waffling, I personally (and many wont agree) want a side with a solid defensive backbone who dont go wandering up the pitch when they should be defending leaving gaping holes at the back that every team, no matter how poor, seem to exploit in us. Defenders are paid to defend, as excting as it it watching Dokes and FBT run with the ball creating things we are left massively exposed at the back all the time.
Sorry mate,I didn't misread your post and I don't think for a minute you regard him as THE problem. My comment wasn't aimed at anyone in particular,it's just that the idea that his crosses are "shit" I find baffling. I wasn't extolling his defensive attributes but I'm sorry I have to disagree that only one last night was anywhere near a goal. How Kemp missed that header from practically on the goal line was crazy. Also if Shade had been sharper in the first half he could have got a decent shot away when Hutton picked him out at the far post. But that's opinions I know. Saturday's goals by Austin were from Hutton's crosses(I think)
I fully agree,and anyone can see that the balance of our side re attacking and defending is out and yes I fully agree with you that teams should be built from the back but that wasn't the point I was trying to make mate. Cheers

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: