Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Colchester Utd v Swindon Town matchday thread  (Read 26286 times)
Formerly Drummer Boy

Ignore
« Reply #465 on: Tuesday, November 7, 2023, 23:32:11 »

I didn’t think we were as bad in the 2nd half as some here are saying when we went forwards, but as soon as the ball is in midfield, they waltz through to a back 3 that play wide and high, and with gaps aplenty. The main issue for me remains the absence of a proper holding midfielder. One that sits, and doesn’t over commit. The defence are lambs to the slaughter without that.  

We can’t simultaneously blame Flynn, whilst blaming squad depth. You could give this squad to Guardiola and he’d struggle. A decent XI when they’re fresh and confident, but they’re running on fumes, and their confidence has been knocked. Normally when that happens, some get a rest. We can’t do that. Morfuni and the shadow board have neutered Flynn’s ability to manage. He can’t threaten players with being dropped, he can’t give someone a break when they need to physically or mentally freshen up, he has no tactical flexibility because he doesn’t have the tools. The board have quickly spending all of the post-Power capital they’d built up. If they have any sense, they’ll sell before a buyer realises that 9k crowds are not the norm. Saturday’s crowd will be telling.

Very much agree on the holding midfielder, McEachran and Khan are too similar when we really need a Grant or early days. Louis Reed no non-sense disruptor. The defence bomb forward and the opposition walk through midfield on the counter.

I used to be that kid with the drum in the Nationwide and Town End - Be nice to me or I'll tell my Mum Smiley
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #466 on: Tuesday, November 7, 2023, 23:37:51 »

Someone just said "we still have a club" on the Facebook group and they weren't taking the piss.  Suicide
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #467 on: Tuesday, November 7, 2023, 23:40:28 »

This is where Reg would be bleating on about ‘retaining our FL status’ - and for once, I think he’d have a point!

Hugely concerned - I’ve never known such a dire position with squad depth. Couple that with the ownership issues and it’s a recipe for disaster.

Going over the last 11 seasons (discounting the covid season making it 10)

A team has needed anywhere from as a high at 51 points to as a low as 43 to stay up.
In reverse order oldest season to most recent 51, 50, 45, 43, 48, 46, 44, 48, 44, 46.
Averages out at 46.5 so round up to 47.

47 minus the 23 points we already have from 16 games (1.44 ppg) leaves us needing a further 24 points from 30 games (0.8 ppg)

DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #468 on: Tuesday, November 7, 2023, 23:41:25 »

Someone just said "we still have a club" on the Facebook group and they weren't taking the piss.  Suicide

Obviously context is key but what he said is technically true is it not?
Pericardinho

Ignore
« Reply #469 on: Tuesday, November 7, 2023, 23:45:38 »

Going over the last 11 seasons (discounting the covid season making it 10)

A team has needed anywhere from as a high at 51 points to as a low as 43 to stay up.
In reverse order oldest season to most recent 51, 50, 45, 43, 48, 46, 44, 48, 44, 46.
Averages out at 46.5 so round up to 47.

47 minus the 23 points we already have from 16 games (1.44 ppg) leaves us needing a further 24 points from 30 games (0.8 ppg)

Not sure we have 8 wins in us. We still have loans to be recalled yet. I suspect Hutton and Khan will be sold.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #470 on: Tuesday, November 7, 2023, 23:47:26 »

Not sure we have 8 wins in us. We still have loans to be recalled yet. I suspect Hutton and Khan will be sold.

We don’t need to win again all season. 24 draws will get the job done!
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #471 on: Tuesday, November 7, 2023, 23:53:04 »

I actually think he was taking the piss as he said transparent owner.....otherwise just looks like a lot of regular posts from that group.
Matchworn Shirts
For Sale

Ignore
« Reply #472 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2023, 05:38:53 »

That was Clem

I come from a land down-under
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #473 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2023, 08:09:50 »

Seen someone on twitter say that austin was offering swindon fans a fight after the game
Formerly Drummer Boy

Ignore
« Reply #474 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2023, 08:11:09 »

IMO, everyone. keeps saying Hutton will get sold and whilst he pushes the top of the assist charts, how many crosses does he need to take before a good ball goes in?  A striker who has 20 chances a game and scores 2 goals, is that better than a striker who has 1 chance a game and scores every time?

I used to be that kid with the drum in the Nationwide and Town End - Be nice to me or I'll tell my Mum Smiley
molepar

Ignore
« Reply #475 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2023, 08:17:37 »

Seen someone on twitter say that austin was offering swindon fans a fight after the game
As I was walking out I heard some fans talking about that, including the ones who were allegedly in the altercation with Charlie.
MangoRed

Ignore
« Reply #476 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2023, 08:25:40 »

Yep it happened. Word for word I don’t know, but told by people that were in away end this happened and he was being pulled back by other players. Other players IE brewitt however opted to apologise to fans instead.
ThreeDrawsMentality

Ignore
« Reply #477 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2023, 08:26:40 »

IMO, everyone. keeps saying Hutton will get sold and whilst he pushes the top of the assist charts, how many crosses does he need to take before a good ball goes in?  A striker who has 20 chances a game and scores 2 goals, is that better than a striker who has 1 chance a game and scores every time?
Do personally feel the Hutton slander is very unfair. A very quick and brief stats dive shows:
50% cross completion ratio
Most crosses attempted in the league
3.1 crosses per game
2.5 chances created
Creates the most chances of any player in the league.
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #478 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2023, 08:40:10 »

Hutton would be much better as a RM in a 4-4-2
JoeMezz

Ignore
« Reply #479 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2023, 08:40:59 »

As many have highlighted, the problem is the lack of a defensive midfielder leaving the back 3 (most of the time back 1) so exposed. We looked a bit better with Dokes in there at the end, may be an option moving forwards until January.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35   Go Up
Print
Jump to: