Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 23   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town v Grimsby pre match drivel and matchday thread  (Read 18233 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, September 26, 2023, 13:28:35 »

On a more recent run. When was the last time we won 4 homes games in a row?
5 wins in a row twice in the Wellens covid season.

EDIT: beaten by Horlock Smiley

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, September 26, 2023, 14:01:09 »

Grimsby sit in 17th place, their leading scorer is winger Abo Eisa on 5.

Results so far
Grimsby   0-0 AFC Wimbledon
Mansfield 2-0 Grimsby *EFLC
Notts C   3-2 Grimsby
Grimsby   2-0 Salford
Grimsby   1-1 Mansfield
Walsall   1-1 Grimsby
Grimsby   2-2 Man City U21 *EFLT
Grimsby   2-0 Gillingham
Barnsley  2-0 Grimsby *EFLT
Bradford  1-1 Grimsby
Wrexham   3-0 Grimsby
Grimsby   2-3 Crawley

They have yet to win away from home in 6 away games in all competitions so far this season, picking up 2 draws and 4 defeats, in the league its 2 draws from 4 games.

In total games between the clubs Swindon have won 23, drawn 10 and lost 17 of the 50 games played so far.

In games at the CG its 17 wins and 6 draws with just 2 defeats, Town scoring 55 goals and conceding 18 times.

Swindon have won the last 2 meetings at the CG 5-0 last season and 3-1 the season before with a draw in the previous game.

Could go either way.

Att: 9,145 (352 Grims)

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, September 26, 2023, 14:33:26 »

It'll be just our luck to get promoted, with Pox going up and Reading passing us  Cheesy
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, September 26, 2023, 14:37:15 »

1st or 2nd round of the FA Cup v Pox live on TV again😀

You just gotta keep livin man!
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday, September 26, 2023, 17:30:16 »

The fact they couldn't even score 1 against Wrexham's defence gives alot of confidence for Saturday.

Sent from my XQ-AD51
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, September 28, 2023, 12:56:05 »

The drink valley opposite sir Daniel. Good microbrewery pub that does sports and decent curry.

Spoons have just put the Sir Daniel on the market so won't be a Spoons much longer.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Thursday, September 28, 2023, 15:17:57 »

Don’t know if any of these are any good, but they’re out Saturday

Ainley out for months, Maher's still out for this weekend too and Conteh's suspended for five bookings, but Danny Rose should be back in the squad.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #37 on: Thursday, September 28, 2023, 15:37:58 »

Don’t know if any of these are any good, but they’re out Saturday

Ainley out for months, Maher's still out for this weekend too and Conteh's suspended for five bookings, but Danny Rose should be back in the squad.
Dont know much about Maher and Conteh but Ainley was born in Swindon.

We all know about Danny Rose who had a great scoring record of a goal every 4 games at Mansfield a few years back and has scored a couple against us thro the years for a couple of clubs.

Ticker45

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Thursday, September 28, 2023, 15:57:00 »

If we can get through Saturdays game undefeated then we equal the all time Swindon record for longest unbeaten starts to a season, this dates back to 1995/96 unde MacMahon when we went 9 games unbeaten.

A Hull City    1-0 w
H York City    3-0 w
A Carlisle Utd 1-0 w
H Oxford Utd   1-1 d
A Brentford    2-0 w
H Chesterfield 1-1 d
H Bradford C   4-1 w
A Bristol Rvrs 4-1 w
H Rotherham U  1-0 w

A run that saw us sit 4 points clear at the top of Div 2 on 23 points.

Before we eventually lost 3-4 at Wrexham which was our only defeat until the 25th November a 0-1 defeat at Shrewsbury.

That was our last defeat that calendar year, in fact until mid January, a run of 13 wins, 8 draws and just the 2 defeats scoring 39 goals and conceding just 15 in the process which included, Wrexham accounted for 27% of that total.

We won the league that year on 92 points, 9 points clear of 2nd place Oxford and suffered just 4 defeats all season (another club record).

Weird that, as allegedly everything heard about McMahon's attitude both on and off the field at that time was negative, but obviously the team played well for him, professonal footballers at their best I suppose just getting on with it.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is unknown but today could be a whole lot better.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Thursday, September 28, 2023, 16:31:44 »

we had players that had played in the prem in the third tier under McMahon like Ling, Bodin, Horlock,etc. Plus a goalscorer in Allision. If you couldn't get promoted with that squad you've got no business being in a dug out.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #40 on: Friday, September 29, 2023, 08:52:38 »

Weird that, as allegedly everything heard about McMahon's attitude both on and off the field at that time was negative, but obviously the team played well for him, professonal footballers at their best I suppose just getting on with it.
That season we played some of the best football I have seen in my 50 years of following Town, I was lucky enough to work at the club at the time and did security for the players home and away and they were a great bunch who loved working under MacMahon, until things started to go wrong.

He fell out with the fans by getting rid of ex Town favourites and making stupid comments in the press pre and post games and was undone by a pathetic performance vs non league Stevenage (how times change) at home in a strong wind.

He knew how to get the best out of players namely Allison, Bodin, Culverhouse, Finney, Horlock, Seagraves, Allen and MacMahon himself who was still good enough for the Prem as a player, we also had a great player in Peter Thorne.

That season we dominated team and our defence was so solid with Taylor, Culverhouse, Seagraves and Robinson and had Digby and Talia in goal (as well as a young Shay Given on loan), we only conceded 34 goals all season but the football played was fantastic at times and gets overlooked because MacMahon was a twat of a monumental scale.

Teams used to come to us with 6 at the back and 1 up front so it was hard to break them down, but we always did pretty much with just 4 defeats all season and got to the 5th round of the FA cup, the last time we did that I think, getting beat at Premier league Southampton in a replay.

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Friday, September 29, 2023, 13:02:09 »

Anyone know what our ticket prices would have been, say, 20 years ago.
Broadbents Tackle

TEF Historian

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Friday, September 29, 2023, 13:30:16 »

It would have been about twenty years ago that the side stands went up to £21, if memory serves me correctly. I can remember it being discussed on MOS and I think at the time it put us at about the same level as some Premier League clubs. £27 currently is a steal Cheesy

Whether your eyes are green, brown, blue, let me see a little bit of red in 'em.
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Friday, September 29, 2023, 15:07:44 »

I've kept all my old tickets, for 2003-04 i was paying £19 to sit in the Don Rogers stand.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Friday, September 29, 2023, 15:54:54 »

It would have been about twenty years ago that the side stands went up to £21, if memory serves me correctly. I can remember it being discussed on MOS and I think at the time it put us at about the same level as some Premier League clubs. £27 currently is a steal Cheesy

Think they went up past the £20 mark to £21 after the play off season (03-04) particularly due to Sandy Gray’s massive tax fuck up?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 23   Go Up
Print
Jump to: