Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Railcards  (Read 1252 times)
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« on: Monday, September 18, 2023, 12:19:43 »

Just looking to go to London in a few weeks. Two adults £49 each!? Thought it was only 30something.

May have to look at these rail cards but don't really know what is best. I assume you can't just borrow a mates if they have one and actually have to have yours on you when you travel?
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, September 18, 2023, 12:31:04 »

Just looking to go to London in a few weeks. Two adults £49 each!? Thought it was only 30something.

May have to look at these rail cards but don't really know what is best. I assume you can't just borrow a mates if they have one and actually have to have yours on you when you travel?

A railcard is only really useful if you are going to travel regularly. I bought a Network railcard for £30 but I'm travelling to London 3 times a week from Northamptonshire so it paid for itself within the first month of me buying rail tickets. For me it saves me 1/3 on my return journey from Euston out of London - I suspect it'll be the same for your journey from London to Swindon (i'm assuming that's where your travelling from/to).

Train travel is extortionate in this country and ticket prices are going up again next April I expect.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, September 18, 2023, 12:45:01 »

Yeah just looking to get from Swindon to London. I'm sure I looked the other week and it was only 30something each. Big increase.
Hyabb17

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, September 18, 2023, 12:47:35 »

Yeah just looking to get from Swindon to London. I'm sure I looked the other week and it was only 30something each. Big increase.

Gert the ''two together railcard''. That's £30 for a year, it's an app & you then have both pics of the two members on it, I think I've only had to show the pics once tbh.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, September 18, 2023, 12:53:39 »

I don't know if it's the same on GWR but I find that buying singles for specific trains tends to be much the cheapest way to do it. It's a pain as it takes any flexibility out of travelling, but might be worth having a look at more 'off peak' times to see if single tickets save you any money.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, September 18, 2023, 12:56:21 »

Did see that one and was thinking about it. Saw you can get it half price some places, one was Tesco but I don't seem to have enough clubcard points. If its a third off though its paying for itself pretty quickly.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, September 18, 2023, 13:00:58 »

Have you tried split ticketing as that may be cheaper, the odd one up here is that if I go from Oxenholme to Newcastle it saves a fortune to split it into Oxenholme-Carlisle and then a second ticket from Carlisle to Newcastle vs. just getting a simple Oxenholme-Newcastle ticket.

I think there are various app's that will do it for you, in that case the nice bloke behind the counter in the ticket office advised me!
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, September 18, 2023, 13:03:30 »

Tried the old split at didcot trick and it didn't make a difference. Used to reduce it by about 15 to 20% that.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, September 18, 2023, 13:07:41 »

Train fares do seem to have gone up a lot recently, I have a railcard plus 9 times out of 10 if I am travelling any distance a client is paying it so I don't bother spending age on it but it is a sodding joke, probably not helped on Swindon-London with GWR having no competition.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, September 18, 2023, 14:51:19 »

We bought a Two together railcard using Tesco Clubcard vouchers.

When the voucher exchange was 3 for 1 the railcard effectively cost us £10 & we saved about £30 on our first train into London.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, September 18, 2023, 14:52:37 »

Weirdly as I'm going to Stratford, I put that in instead of Paddington and planning to just use contactless for tube and its coming up as 43 each including tube. That is a bit more reasonable.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, September 18, 2023, 14:56:15 »

Weirdly as I'm going to Stratford, I put that in instead of Paddington and planning to just use contactless for tube and its coming up as 43 each including tube. That is a bit more reasonable.

That might be factoring in Elizabeth Line from Paddington to Stratford which might be better value than a standard tube journey.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
fuzzy

A Bastard apparently

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, September 18, 2023, 15:27:51 »

I know you are travelling from further away but, if you can find on street parking close to a tube station in outer London, Mrs F and I travel for around £8- £9 each using contactless on the tube.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, September 18, 2023, 15:36:06 »

I know you are travelling from further away but, if you can find on street parking close to a tube station in outer London, Mrs F and I travel for around £8- £9 each using contactless on the tube.

Aye, remember when we played Millwall away on Boxing Day a few years back.
Drove to start of Jubilee Line at Stanmore.
Massive car park. All good.
Got back to find that some cunt had parked so close that I could only get in via passenger side which involved a bit of contortion to get over the gear stick, but yeah & drive / tube option can be a good one.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, September 18, 2023, 15:48:39 »

Have you looked into driving to Oxford Parkway and getting the train into Marleybone as parking is cheap.

Parking tariffs for Oxford Parkway station:
Up to one hour: Free.
Up to 11 hours: £2.00.
Between 11 and 24 hours: £4.00.
Between 24 and 48 hours: £8.00.
Between 48 and 72 hours: £12.00.
https://www.nationalrail.co.uk › o...
Oxford Parkway Station - National Rail

So, give no fucks
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: