Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Planning Applications  (Read 1413 times)
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« on: Sunday, September 17, 2023, 22:08:53 »

I notice that Moto have submitted or are going to submit a planning application for a new service area off the M4 @ J16. This naturally has stirred the usual SA bored mouth pieces - keyboard warriors into action. If you want to know where it it’s going to be it is the first bit of green field as you head towards the garden centre/Wroughton road. I saw the hi viz Theodolite wankers in the fields for a few days a cpl of months ago.
« Last Edit: Monday, September 18, 2023, 10:16:33 by Legends-Lounge » Logged
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, September 18, 2023, 05:53:36 »

environmentals aside, I don't get the point of it to be honest. Membury and Leigh Delamere are close enough - though the former is welcome break...

Gloucester services, now there's a thing I'd welcome.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, September 18, 2023, 05:59:12 »

environmentals aside, I don't get the point of it to be honest. Membury and Leigh Delamere are close enough - though the former is welcome break...

Not only that but you don’t exactly have to go far from J16 to find service style like amenities. Turn off the roundabout and 2 minutes you have a subway & Costa
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, September 18, 2023, 06:21:46 »

Hope not
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, September 18, 2023, 09:47:33 »

just when you thought Junction 16's layout was improved they'll go and fuck it up by sticking a single service station to service both directions... gridlock fun again... genius!
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, September 18, 2023, 09:50:28 »

My fucking route to work  Bad Mood
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, September 18, 2023, 09:56:29 »

Somebody obviously thinks they can make a decent amount of cash out of it. We are working on a scheme (not this one) at the moment and the big change is the increased provision of EV charging facilities plus the need to provide more interest on site as people will be there a bit longer than traditionally as vehicles charge, its why new ones are popping up, as retrofitting is often not possible (and even if it is it basically means closing the existing while you do).

Gloucester Services  is just a poor facsimile of the original and best at Tebay!  Cheesy
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, September 18, 2023, 11:24:24 »

This new one is basically a big EV charging site + HGV parking.

It'll get greenlit no issue because SBC planners have no fucking idea about making sure infrastructure, i.e. the road network, can cope with it.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Monday, September 18, 2023, 11:41:29 »

This new one is basically a big EV charging site + HGV parking.

It'll get greenlit no issue because SBC planners have no fucking idea about making sure infrastructure, i.e. the road network, can cope with it.

Just to step in to defend SBC planners, they will only make their decisions relating to potential highways effects based entirely upon what SBC Highways engineers tell them.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Monday, September 18, 2023, 11:47:49 »

Quote from: horlock07

Gloucester Services  is just a poor facsimile of the original and best at Tebay!  Cheesy

maybe, but it's 10 minutes from work and I don't have to go up north
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Monday, September 18, 2023, 11:50:52 »

Ah, ev the future  Roll Eyes
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Monday, September 18, 2023, 15:09:56 »

Ah, ev the future  Roll Eyes

I've never understood the infatuation with a mechanical part and fuel source.  So long as the thing moves.  Ultimately, you'd prefer the least resource hungry option, whatever that ends up being.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Monday, September 18, 2023, 15:11:43 »

Although, I wonder if 120+ years ago people were moaning about this new form of transport that required you to fill it up with a fuels source that wasn't just sat there next to the side of the bridal path.  It'll never catch on when your horse can just refuel on the go.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Monday, September 18, 2023, 15:22:55 »

I've never understood the infatuation with a mechanical part and fuel source.  So long as the thing moves.  Ultimately, you'd prefer the least resource hungry option, whatever that ends up being.

Thing is EV is the future whether middle aged men like it or not. Listened to a podcast last year (I think) where they had people on from a fair few of the big car manufacturers and I suggest about 95+% of what they are doing now and planning for the future is electric based, they are also doing alot on car sharing schemes for cities, self driving all that sort of stuff!

Although, I wonder if 120+ years ago people were moaning about this new form of transport that required you to fill it up with a fuels source that wasn't just sat there next to the side of the bridal path.  It'll never catch on when your horse can just refuel on the go.

You probably have, but if not its worth looking at some of the stuff that was being said c.200 years ago when the railways were expanding, the spats between Dionysius Lardner and Brunel being particularly amusing.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Monday, September 18, 2023, 16:54:17 »

I thought I was on for a Tesla through salary sacrifice. but the company jack their prices up to about the same level as a private lease.

EV may be the future, but it's going to take a while cost and infrastructure for it to be the norm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: