Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 16   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon vs Arsenal U21 EFL Trophy Matchday Thread  (Read 10019 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, August 22, 2023, 07:58:18 »

I was sat on the loo this morning and came across a potential perfect brand sponsorship - the EFL Trophy and eco-friendly loo roll company Who Gives a Crap? It's such a good fit that I'm shocked it hasn't already happened.

Anyway, today's Who Gives a Crap? Trophy game (which I think doesn't even have a real sponsor anymore) is against Arsenal's kids. We could do without this one from a fitness perspective, but hopefully we can rotate a bit and pick up no more injuries.

To quote myself in the Walsall thread:

My concern with the back 3 is that you kind of need FBT and UGM's skillsets to do what we're doing going forward - I don't think Brewitt or Minturn could play outside of that central position (although Tuesday night's game is a good chance to test that!). Brewitt is the one player that it feels like we could improve on (taller, more experienced CB) but he's not done anything particularly wrong himself.

When we're trying to hold a lead, I think this formation is actually quite unhelpful - it's set up to have almost every player on the pitch bar Brewitt and Kinsella if he's on contributing to attacks, which makes us great going forward, but there a lot of passengers defensively if we're under siege. Oddly going to a back four with FBT/UGM at full backs is probably more solid, putting Genesini into midfield.

On Tuesday I'd like to see us try: (assuming we have to keep a degree of first team players around)

Mahoney

Brewitt (RCB)
Minturn (CB)
Ward (LCB)

Uwakwe (LWB)
Genesini (RWB)

Kinsella
Khan
Cain

Young (RHM if fit)
Wakeling
adje

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2023, 08:13:16 »

Got a feeling Kanu might start this one

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2023, 08:32:26 »

Got a feeling Kanu might start this one

Wouldn't mind that - Jaxon Brown (midfielder) is the other youth player who's been on the bench more than most at the start of the season.

Dworzak seems to have some sort of fitness/illness issue that's cut short his loan, but may be around the squad.

Hart and Fox are out on loan and I presume won't be involved.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2023, 08:42:42 »

Yeah this one isnt rocket science. Whoever the 5 are in most need of a rest, rest them. Maybe even look at a first sub after 20 mins or so. Fill the gaps with who needs game time and youth opportunities.

Result I'm not too bothered about. Play well and don't get pumped.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2023, 09:21:34 »

not even bothered by playing well or the result.

just no more injuries to first team players. That's all I want
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2023, 09:30:39 »

Will this be on iPTV
Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2023, 09:31:12 »

Does anyone have chapter and verse on the rules regarding how many need to start?

Seems to be hard to find online for this year's competition.

These are from 21/22:

Minimum of four qualifying outfield players in their starting XI. A qualifying outfield player was one who met any of the following requirements:
Any player who started the previous or following first-team fixture.
Any player who is in the top 10 players at the club who has made the most starting appearances in league and domestic cup competitions this season.
Any player with forty or more first-team starting appearances in their career, including International matches.
Any player on loan from a Premier League club or any EFL Category One Academy club.
A club can play any eligible goalkeeper in the competition.
Any player out on a long loan term at a National League, National League North, or National League South team can play as long as the loaning team agree to allow the player to return for the match.

On that basis I think I'd be looking at:

Brann

Hart        Minturn     Ward

Genesini                                                                       Uwakwe

Kinsella

Shade                      Cain

Young                     Wakeling

I think your four qualifying players would be:

Young - started last game
Genesini - started last game
Kinsella - Over 40 career starts
Shade - Over 40 career starts

Hopefully we can get Hart and any of the loanees back for this.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2023, 09:33:40 »

Will this be on iPTV

Its on ifollow video pass so would assume so
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2023, 09:34:15 »

Any player out on a long loan term at a National League, National League North, or National League South team can play as long as the loaning team agree to allow the player to return for the match.

That's an interesting one, suggests Aguiar could play if Worthing didn't mind!

Seems like those rules are a lot more lax than they used to and we should be able to play just about anyone.
Mooneyraker

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2023, 09:35:45 »

That's an interesting one, suggests Aguiar could play if Worthing didn't mind!

Seems like those rules are a lot more lax than they used to and we should be able to play just about anyone.

It seems that way. I think we need to protect anyone from the 1st XI TBH. They all must be knackered after this burst of games. Fuck all point running them into the ground in this pisspot trophy when we are down to the bare bones anyway.
Nijholts Nuts

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2023, 09:40:12 »

I'd even give Brann a run out tonight.

I only dream of Claire Sweeney
Mooneyraker

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2023, 09:42:02 »

I'd even give Brann a run out tonight.

100%.

No benefit to playing Mahoney whatsoever. Only risk.
Bob1978

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2023, 09:50:14 »

Yes but if Brann plays 5 or more times wouldn’t be able to bring in an emergency loan goalkeeper. Depends if he is seen as a genuine option at this stage of his career.
Mooneyraker

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2023, 09:51:34 »

Yes but if Brann plays 5 or more times wouldn’t be able to bring in an emergency loan goalkeeper. Depends if he is seen as a genuine option at this stage of his career.

Giving him the 3 group games should be okay...
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2023, 10:32:12 »

Not overly bothered by the result, would like a good performance from the stand ins, give as many of the kids game time as we are allowed by the rules.

Will watch the game as its part of the season pass, not expecting much from the kids TBH.

Being we are at almost bare bones it could be some selection worries for Flynn as the fines are £5k per game and thats a significant hit if we dont follow the rules especially when you expect a sub 2k crowd which wouldnt even cover the cost of the fine.

In a bid to keep the tournament competitive, each EFL club is obliged to start at least four outfield first teamers.

A first-team player is defined as someone who starts either of the matches directly before or after the EFL Trophy fixture in question, a player that has started 40 or more senior matches or a player who has started at least the 10th-most matches for the club that season.

Any EFL club that fails to meet this requirement is fined up to £5,000.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 16   Go Up
Print
Jump to: