Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Trains to Donny  (Read 1601 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« on: Monday, August 21, 2023, 15:27:02 »

Haven’t used a train for years but I’ve checked the prices via Trainline Chippenham-Doncaster and it comes up with £186 return. Surely it cannot be that much.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Monday, August 21, 2023, 15:30:40 »

There's a train strike on the 2nd September.

https://www.thetrainline.com/trains/great-britain/industrial-action

I'd drive if I was you.

And yeah, it looks like the tickets are that much. It's criminal how expensive train travel in this country is.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Monday, August 21, 2023, 15:38:25 »

I’ll just have to clog up the atmosphere with my diesel motor then. Fuck ‘em.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Monday, August 21, 2023, 16:24:08 »

Haven’t used a train for years but I’ve checked the prices via Trainline Chippenham-Doncaster and it comes up with £186 return. Surely it cannot be that much.

Flying would be cheaper…
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Monday, August 21, 2023, 17:10:16 »

Flying would be cheaper…

That's what some Chester fans did when they played away at Bishops Stortford recently in the conference North (as an aside, Bishops Stortford have drawn the short straw with travel re being in that league)

They flew from Liverpool to Ireland, then from Ireland to Stansted and took the bus to Bishops Stortford and it was half the price of the train fare.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Monday, August 21, 2023, 21:01:32 »

That's what some Chester fans did when they played away at Bishops Stortford recently in the conference North (as an aside, Bishops Stortford have drawn the short straw with travel re being in that league)

They flew from Liverpool to Ireland, then from Ireland to Stansted and took the bus to Bishops Stortford and it was half the price of the train fare.

Trains are a joke in this country
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Monday, August 21, 2023, 21:36:18 »

Definitely ways to get the cost down however I agree a complete rip off.
As others have said I believe a train strike that weekend.

Set up the app for each train operator and buy the individual leg of the journey through them separately. If you travel in 2 or a young kid then railcards.

Just done a Morecambe return with my youngest £64 which is not bad and enables me to have a few beers.
molepar

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Monday, August 21, 2023, 22:19:40 »

For any of you who travel regularly with the same people you can get a two together railcard and as long as you are with the same person you get 1 third off. A friend and I recently purchased one for £30 and the saving from one return trip to Swindon from Paddington more than pays for it. Would recommend. We have also bought our tickets to Notts Away using this.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2023, 06:51:14 »

Outrageous.
TheDukeOfBanbury

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2023, 10:41:30 »

For any of you who travel regularly with the same people you can get a two together railcard and as long as you are with the same person you get 1 third off. A friend and I recently purchased one for £30 and the saving from one return trip to Swindon from Paddington more than pays for it. Would recommend. We have also bought our tickets to Notts Away using this.

Two lads I know do this - saves a fortune.
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2023, 11:20:19 »

suppose boils down to the cost of a railcard doesn't it. how much is one?
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2023, 11:35:39 »

suppose boils down to the cost of a railcard doesn't it. how much is one?

The post suggests £30. TBH its no different to when I was a student all those years ago, a YPRC cost X but I used to save more than X on one journey from Newcastle-Oxford so it was a no brainer.

It's worth looking at other railcard options you may be eligible for as well.

Mooneyraker

Beware Aussies in bucket hats bearing gifts

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2023, 11:48:38 »

I made the money back and more on one trip to Hartlepool a few seasons ago with another fan.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2023, 12:10:00 »

Two lads I know do this - saves a fortune.

I know an anti social nobby no mates that doesn't do this. Costs a bloody fortune.
Still, senior railcard on the horizon which should make a difference.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, August 22, 2023, 12:27:34 »

We have a “Two Together Railcard”, it cost us £10 by using Tesco vouchers.

The fact that they’ve changed the rules now means it’s going to cost £15 now (assuming it’s still £30 to renew).

We save more than that each time we go into London
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: