Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Football League reform  (Read 998 times)
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, May 16, 2023, 15:15:53 »

I see this cropping up here and there so worth a bit of off season debate.

Basically rearranging the leagues/adding more teams to the football league, etc. I'm usually #AgainstModernFootball to any wholesale changes to football, but this I'm not totally against adding another football league division, as long as Prem B teams/Under 23s are kept out of the discussion. Almost all of the National League prem is professional now anyway.

If I were organising it, I'd increase the football league to 88 teams adding 16 teams from the conference and then have 4 leagues of 22.

I'd standardise all promotions relegations as well so every league right from the new National League Prem, right up to the Premier League is 3 up & 3 down (2 automatic and 1 through play offs). The National League can then do away with their weird play off structure and have a normal one like every other league as well.

National League could probably use it as a time to reorganise and resolve the north/south issue as well with teams like Bishop Stortford ending up in The National League North

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/national-league-fa-bishops-stortford-29985519
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2023, 15:26:12 »

I quite like the NL playoff structure. Two legs always seemed a bit pointless to me, and it gives an advantage to the teams that finish higher (assuming playing at home is an advantage). I'm not really for changing anything, it works well how it is and I don't see a need to change it.

Having said that, I don't think we're far off the Premier League reducing the number of games to account for an increasing number of European games. The winter break for the World Cup was well received so I can see a winter break with fewer games either side. If that happens this may end up being a real possibility. Like you said, the National League is basically League Three anyway!
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2023, 16:01:16 »

I've always wondered if in some cases the National League play offs can work against you finishing higher. You obviously get a bye so don't have to play extra games, but in some ways that might work against you if you already have good momentum. Obviously it is geared up to give the teams finishing higher an advantage, but I'm sure some will have felt it hasn't.

The Prem only has 20 teams to start with. Complaining of extra games is tiresome. If they reduce to say 16 teams, you'd probably have to rearrange the football league to something like I've suggested, but you'd only need to take 12 from The National League to make up the numbers.

Would they be able to reduce the number of teams in the prem anyway? Less games = less money and we know they don't like that. It would put teams like Chelsea in with a real chance of being relegated in a season like this as well.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2023, 16:11:36 »

More teams in the EFL = smaller share of the broadcasting pot.

Three up three down between L2 & NL would concentrate minds though.

If the League Cup bites the dust then including NL sides in a revised cup competition would add some interest.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2023, 16:17:10 »

Thankfully not something I need to make a decision about, but the gulf between the Championship and L1 seems now almost as large as that between the Championship and PL, frankly don't give a shit what the PL do.

As most of the NL is now professional not really sure what is the point of having a separate NL and FL, oh who knows!
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2023, 16:25:00 »

More teams in the EFL = smaller share of the broadcasting pot.

Three up three down between L2 & NL would concentrate minds though.

If the League Cup bites the dust then including NL sides in a revised cup competition would add some interest.

I'd keep The League Cup but just let the Prem teams not come in to it as early with the extra teams and extra rounds seeing as they bitch and moan about so many games. 

Sack the U23 teams out of the EFL trophy and have it as it used to be as all the non championship football league sides. Would be a lot of fresh match ups in that competition.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, May 16, 2023, 16:52:38 »

problem is it robs us smaller clubs of a bigger club opportunity. Obviously not us specifically...

with the pizza cup if prem clubs have to enter I'd scrap the two tier bollocks and let EFL play fringe and youth players if they wish. Fucking disgrace we can't freely develop our own players in that cup but they can.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2023, 08:27:22 »

Thankfully not something I need to make a decision about, but the gulf between the Championship and L1 seems now almost as large as that between the Championship and PL, frankly don't give a shit what the PL do.
But, saying that, Sunderland won promotion last season from L1 and had a great season in the Championship only falling in the play off semis vs Luton.

Also though Coventry are only 2 seasons into the Championship yet are 2 games from the Premiership too. Luton 1 game from it after just 3 seasons.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2023, 08:53:32 »

But, saying that, Sunderland won promotion last season from L1 and had a great season in the Championship only falling in the play off semis vs Luton.

Also though Coventry are only 2 seasons into the Championship yet are 2 games from the Premiership too. Luton 1 game from it after just 3 seasons.

Oh I know what you mean, hence why I am glad that any reorganisation isn't up to me.

FWIW I suspect the 'big' 6 or is it 8 now will feck off to an EPL in the not too distant, leaving the issues as being what to do with the rump of the PL, do they continue on a smaller level or some sort of split processes with the big clubs? and secondly incorporating Championship to National League into a new structure. 
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, May 17, 2023, 08:58:40 »

It has been mooted previously but if they expand the leagues then maybe they will go back to a L2 North and L2 South style as Div3N/S used to be but leaving L1 as its own mixed geographical entity.

Of course it could end up with the Bishops Stortford vs Blyth type games as discussed elsewhere with geographical splits but I am sure it would work out ok with some teams around the midlands swapping between North and South occassionally.

It would also save on distance travelled for teams too with fewer overnight stays needed to save on costs for all club.

Not sure I agree with it but it could well be an option.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: