Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New tv rights deal for EFL  (Read 1987 times)
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« on: Friday, May 5, 2023, 17:47:09 »

https://www.efl.com/news/2023/may/efl-announces-landmark-broadcasting-deal-with-sky-sports/?fbclid=IwAR3osLR2bVRee26w7xMwwuhQ4ozznHA47DuYUB2cijJzj3PX7-twLrj4lLw

What do people think?
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, May 5, 2023, 17:59:02 »

Not sure how much the club made from ifollow, but i would hope this more then compensates them.

Personally i'm concerned what the increased coverage effect will be, mainly around the fact that all games on Opening Day, Last Day, Midweek, Easter (other bank holidays), Boxing Day, NYD and International breaks. That's what maybe 12 games a season 100% on Sky. Then the are likely picking 2 league 2 games a week, so on average we will be picked another 6 times.

That's 9 home games live.

As a fan who lives outside Swindon and is a season ticket holder i will still be attending in person, but this is likely going to make some of these very tempting to watch on TV for people.

It would be a good question to ask the AB next what the the increased revenue is from the TV deal.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, May 5, 2023, 18:38:48 »

So how many fewer Saturday 3pm games are we going to get?  It's hard to know but I expect Wrexham and Salford won't have any.

It's not great for fans TBH.   Would rather they got rid of the 3.00 ban and televised EFL games at that time.   Its not as if I won't watch Swindon cause Accrington are on the telly.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, May 5, 2023, 19:20:14 »

it's not clear to me if ifollow for every match continues for those abroad (or if sky will effectively take it over)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, May 5, 2023, 19:21:42 »

Quote from: Pookemon

It's not great for fans TBH.   Would rather they got rid of the 3.00 ban and televised EFL games at that time.   Its not as if I won't watch Swindon cause Accrington are on the telly.

but premier clubs may very well want it too. And that may impact over a long period
Oaksey Moonraker

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, May 5, 2023, 19:39:27 »

What I would prefer with iFollow is if you buy say a Swindon season ticket you should be able to stream home games for free (like they did in Covid) as you have already paid for the game.

It might sell more season tickets to those who don't make every game. In the same way if you bet online on horse racing you can watch the race for 'free'.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, May 6, 2023, 07:50:06 »

Don't forget many pay around £60 to watch all games on a Firestick without having to buy a season ticket

So, give no fucks
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, May 6, 2023, 08:12:20 »

Don't forget many pay around £60 to watch all games on a Firestick without having to buy a season ticket

Well I pay £45 a year for my Firestick and that gets games from every league in Europe including iFollow. Makes no odds to me which channel has the rights as it’s just a big scam in the UK compared to the rest of Europe. I’m a season ticket holder too.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, May 6, 2023, 08:15:53 »

Well I pay £45 a year for my Firestick and that gets games from every league in Europe including iFollow. Makes no odds to me which channel has the rights as it’s just a big scam in the UK compared to the rest of Europe. I’m a season ticket holder too.

Take your pick prices seem to range from £45-£60 depending who you use. I would get a season ticket but work shifts and some week ends so it would be pointless.

So, give no fucks
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, May 6, 2023, 09:29:28 »

but premier clubs may very well want it too. And that may impact over a long period
Indeed but if there are no 3pm kickoffs then the EFL games will clash with prem games anyway so we either clash at 3pm or at a shitter time.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, May 6, 2023, 09:39:06 »

Bottom line. How much more money will the club get?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, May 6, 2023, 09:55:58 »

Quote from: Pookemon
Indeed but if there are no 3pm kickoffs then the EFL games will clash with prem games anyway so we either clash at 3pm or at a shitter time.

eh?

EFL will remain at 3pm. There are some pennies league games then, honest
ChalkyWhiteIsGod
TOLD YOU SO

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, May 6, 2023, 11:35:09 »

This.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, May 6, 2023, 11:35:42 »

eh?

EFL will remain at 3pm. There are some pennies league games then, honest
The point i was trying to make is that this deal means that c25% of EFL games will be moved from 3pm to be televised.   At what point is the 3pm broadcast restriction, actually restricting being able to watch football at 3pm?

In time more games will be televised, we can all watch them now anyway if we want, so is the end of the 3pm kickoff inevitable, unless the broadcast restriction is lifted?
« Last Edit: Saturday, May 6, 2023, 11:48:35 by Pookemon » Logged
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Saturday, May 6, 2023, 11:44:18 »

It looks like not much, the majority will go to champ clubs (and Wrexham probably).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: